Back to Grub510 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1
SG Food on Foot
 • 24 May 2014 205 reviews 18 followers
Overall
For full review and photos, click HERE

The last time I came to GRUB was about 11 months ago for dinner. I am back at GRUB again for the weekend brunch. Located at Bishan Park, it is actually quite rare to have such dining place surrounded by beautiful greenery. GRUB still adopts a non reservation policy and hence one still needs to take their chance and queue up for a seat if you want to dine at GRUB. The good news is GRUB is now opened for lunch Tuesday to Friday from 11am to 3pm.

Kick starting the weekend brunch is the Truffled Egg Cocotte ($7) which the soft boiled eggs are perfumed with truffle and crispy parma ham served with toasted focaccia at the side. I called it a fancy interpretation of our local favourite of soft boiled eggs and toast.

For me truffle fries is already too mainstream. I applauded GRUB for not going down the path but introduced theMentaiko Fries ($9) on their menu instead. Topped with nori seaweed, the mentaiko aioli sauce goes with the fries very well. This is really addictive.

The French Toast ($12) at GRUB comes with in a combination of sweet and savoury. The french toast is drizzled with maple syrup and topped with a garlic thyme pork sausage, freshly cut strawberries and sour cream. I am not a big fan of such combination but it seems like the younger generations are more adventurous with their taste buds.

Looking for a more substantial brunch, how about GRUB Double Cheeseburger ($18) with Monterey Jack cheese? The 100% freshly minced beef patty was juicy and flavourful. The melted flowy cheese simply melted my heart as I love my burger to be very cheesy and messy. The beef patty was also juicy, moist and flavoursome.

I tried the Slow Cooked Pork Belly ($17) during my previous visit and I have enjoyed it. GRUB has since made some improvement to the dish. Gone is the potato mash drenched in a mango sauce and cherry tomato salsa. This is substituted with sweet potato mash which is cleaner in presentation, better colour contrast and still giving the dish that sweet element to complement the meaty taste. The sou vide pork belly used to be pan fried to a golden brown but now it is lightly seared allowing the flavoursome and succulent pork belly to standout more. By the way, this dish is only available for dinner.

New in the menu is the Sakura Ebi Pasta ($17). The linguine is served with sakura ebi, prawns and comes with a hint of mentaiko. The new creation is a good change from the classic tomato and cream base sauce. The sakura ebi gave the pasta a lift in both flavour and texture. I actually went back a second time for this dish but it turned out that the garlic taste was a bit stronger than previous covering the sweetness of sakura ebi. I think it lacked a bit of consistency but it still tasted as good. However I still prefer the version that allows the sweetness of the sakura ebi to shine. The Sakura Ebi Pasta is available for both lunch and dinner menu only.

Must tries: Slow Cooked Pork Belly