Ayam Buah Keluak4 votes

AlloAllo
 • 16 Sep 2013 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
After reading the raving reviews, we decided to try out GHS for our Peranakan fix. Not least to say, we were disappointed with the quality and portion for the prices.

Beef rendang $12 - 5 thin pieces in a gooey sauce! Most disappointing!
Otah otah $8 - 1 piece, 3" size, ok taste but $8?!

Thankfully, the Chap chye and Ngoh Hiong are the saving grace with not bad quality and serving size.

Definitely "oldest" but no where near the best Peranakan restaurants around, when they want to charge such prices and serve in melamine dishes, like Ivins!

melvo86
 • 04 Aug 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I've been frequenting this restaurant with my family for many years now, and the quality of the food has not changed.

Dishes that are a must try there include the Ayam Buah Keluak, Hainanese Pork Chop and Babi Panggang.

The last item is an off-menu dish that's only available on weekends. It's roasted by the Chef and marinated with a spice paste that's definitely different from the Cantonese Siew Yoke that you'd expect.

He usually makes it in limited quantities so be sure to get to the restaurant early to secure your order!

Must tries: Ayam Buah Keluak, Babi Panggang

Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch, Relaxed

MAUGHAMS
 • 02 May 2013 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
There are many good eating places in Joo Chiat. However, there are very few who can really be in the top 1%.

GHS has been in business for decades and has built a consistent Nonya menu which excels those in Malaysia. Fresh ingredients, great chefs and service has been the mainstay. Essentially, PQD or good price, good quality and consistent delivery.

We dropped by for lunch on May Day and was pleasantly greeted the moment we pushed the glass door opened. As the restaurant was full, the staff quickly sorted out a table and apologized for the inconvenience.

The menus were promptly delivered along with our drinks. The order was a fresh Pomfret Assam style, Chicken Buah Keluak and Chap Chai. Food arrived in less than 5 minutes. Granted they were probably pre cooked but the perfectly done pomfret was delivered in 11 minutes flat.

Kudos to the management and chef. I would rate the dishes 8/10.

As a finicky foodie, it's hard to gain acceptable indices like this. I am sure many of you to have been would, perhaps, give a similar rating.

Must tries: Ayam Buah Keluak, Assam pomfret and their desserts, Assam Pomfret