Review for Hansik Korean Family Restaurant (Heartland Mall)

3.6

AsianKorean
Address: #02-00, Heartland Mall-kovan, 205 Hougang Street 21, 530205
23 Oct 2013
Overall

Excellent food and service.

For photos:

We ordered the large BBQ mixed meat palette for S$60. No need to cook it yourself, the staff does that for you. There were pork belly, 3-layered pork and pork ribs (and maybe more but I was too busy stuffing myself). The pork ribs were the best. Extremely tender and juicy! But one bad thing about having someone cook for you is that the meat turns cold while you're still clearing the first batch.

There's a "set meal" option available when you order BBQ meat. For S$20, you get 1 soup, 1 salad, 1 dish, 1 rice and 1 dessert. For S$30, you get a slightly bigger portion of everything. For S$40, you get 2 of everything. We chose the S$40 option but we got 4 dessert (I don't know why).

Chicken salad (top left) and salmon salad (top right) came in a pretty big portion and were both good! I thought the chicken was really tasty.

Kimchi seafood pancake (bottom left) was quite a disappointment. I fell in love with seafood pancake in Korea and I've been trying to find a good one in Sg but so far, no luck. Spicy rice cake (ddeokbokki; 떡볶이) ( bottom right) was a littleeee too sweet for my liking but it was still very good. And I'm glad there wasn't the awful chilli powdery taste which is often found in the ddeokbokki in Sg.

Soft tofu stew (bottom left) and kimchi stew (bottom right) were both delicious. Soft tofu stew had a rather generous portion of seafood in it and kimchi stew had pork as companion.

The dessert! You can choose either ice cream (honeydew/mango/strawberry) or a sweet dessert drink (I can't remember much about this, I was in food coma by then). My friend commented that the strawberry ice cream tasted like strawberry flavoured Pocky and indeed, that familiar taste does remind me of Pocky.

The service and staff were excellent. After placing our order, the food arrived within 5 minutes, one after the other! I think this has to be the fastest service I've ever experienced. The head waiter/manager/man-in-black who served our table was really nice and patient.. even though while he was cooking, he accidentally flicked a piece of meat into my friend's bag. He was extremely apologetic after that so we tried to ask for a 50% discount hahaha.

Overall I've nothing but good things to say about my first dining experience in Hansik Korean Restaurant. Though the next time I'm back, I will definitely order less.

More reviews of Hansik Korean Family Restaurant

Nice food

The food here is quite authentic. Better than most other Korean restuarants. Their BBQ marinated pork belly is really good. Also enjoyed their mushroom hot pot. Good for family outing. They should improve on their service standards though.

Good traditional restaurant

I had come across hansik on the site but wasn't sure if it was good, so I asked my friend and he told me it's pretty good. Had the mushroom and beef hotpot and pork kimchi pancake. The sides are decent, kimchi above average. It's a little spicier but that suits my tastebuds. roasted barley tea is on the house, just like the restaurants in Korea. Hotpot was delicious and serving is good. Pancake was crispy and good as well. Service is decent, overall a good experience.

Poor Service!

Honestly, the food is not that bad but then their customer service is lousy to the max. Back then 2 years before, they used to have nice food and services. But after that, their service crew recently is really bad. One of the crew showed me "black face" and asked me to order in once when I requested for my second order which actually is their fault that they never heard properly for my first order. Then after I complained to him actually is your fault for didn't listening my order correctly, he asked his other crew members to never serve us anymore. Oh well, since then I also won't ever to visit the restaurant anymore if I gotta pay for this kind of sucks service.

Above average

Chanced upon this restaurant 2 years ago and have been making a conscious effort to go as often as possible. Some observation: -They usually would ask for your order at the entrance during peak hours so your food , beverages and side dishes would be serve asap. -The 2 couch seats in the innermost part of the restaurant are reserved mostly for 4-6 pax -It is advised to come before 5.30pm or after 8.30 pm to avoid the long queues during weekends Overall it is a small cosy, korean restaurant serving authentic cuisine. The pancakes, ginseng chicken , and greentea pork belly are must tries.
Overall

Service at entrance was unacceptable

The service of the male staff wearing a white shirt at the entrance was terrible. On 28 July 2014 (Monday) at around 5:30pm, we were queuing outside this restaurant. There was a free table inside, but he refused to let us sit down until we ordered, and insisted in a condescending tone that we had to order while standing in the queue. The group behind us was able to sit down immediately after they arrived. This service is downright disappointing for a restaurant that has had such good reviews of its food. We did not go into the restaurant in the end, although we had gone to Heartland Mall specially for the Korean food