Summary

Service3
Carrot Cake Fries, UFO Oyster Pancake, onde onde !~, oyster pancake, tapioca cake View all

The Mountain Tortoise and the U.F.O. Oyster Pancake

Food/Drink 4 | Value 4 | Ambience N/A | Service N/A

06 SEPT 2008

Don't see alot of Oyster Pancake around anymore... and the first review did not reflect what I believed to be the 2 key items sold by the stall.

Anyway, Auntie serving was good enough to tell me to go sit down and she will bring it to where I am sitting (2 rows away from the Famous Lor Mee Stall).

Now... the food...

Oyster Pancake [8.5/10]

These deep-fried batter thingy are shaped like a disc and has a nickname of "UFO". Within the batter, there are a mixture of minced pork, fresh oyster, and probably coriander. With a few peanuts added onto the surface, the whole creation is dipped into piping hot oil until it turns crispy golden-browny. Chopped into 4 and it is served. Eat while its hot to experience a mixture of sensations from the crispy exterior, and the tasty moist interior which is enhanced by the unique mixture of the oyster/minced meat and coriander. Divine... but oily and not for the health freaks :)

Carrot Cake Fries [7/10]

This is your normal day-in, day-out squarish Carrot Cake. It’s just served differently... Chopped into thick strips, its fried a second time before being served. First time I had carrot cake like this. Perhaps I am a mountain tortoise!! 8 pieces for $1 if I remember correctly...

Pork Roll [6.5/10]

Also tried their Pork Roll, but to me it is just slightly above average. It was a little costly (relatively) at $3 buck a pop!

Will I be back? Yes, for the UFO and the Carrot Cake Fries!!

Most helpful reviews for Hong's Oyster Pancake Shoppe

Oyster pancake

Food/Drink 3 | Value 3 | Ambience N/A | Service 3

I feel that it is not bad and value for money. The oyster pancake is the specialty of the stall. Worth a try.

UFO Found Here

For some reason when I saw the title of the stall, I thought that it sold oyster omelets . Upon further investigation, I realised that it sold various oyster products such as the oyster pancake, or the UFO as some call it.

I tried one, and whilst I thought that it had an interesting mix of ingredients, including a nice crunch caused by the peanuts, I felt that it lacked the "oomph" factor, and this is probably because the oyster element did not come out strong enough. For an oyster lover like me, not enough incentive for me to return for more.

One of my regular breakfast joints in town

Food/Drink 4 | Value 5 | Ambience 2 | Service N/A

This is my regular breakfast/snack joint in town on weekend. Whenever Im ready to indulge in some sinful but yummy fried breakfast items, this place comes to mind.

The carrot cake fries (8 pieces for $1) and oyster pancake ($2) are must tries. The tapioca cake is also soft and yummy, without being overly sweet.

Ambience: ok on a weekend morning, not okay on weekday mornings with the downtown crowd. bearing in mind this is food centre.

Service: auntie does bring the food to us if she doesnt have any other customers in line and the food is still being cooked. If you have special preferences (omitting the oyster in the pancake), she would also cater to my order by making one with just the rest of the ingredients, think it cost $1.50, if I recall correctly.

Definitely must try

Excellent food. Great value for money. Highly recommend the Oyster pancake and the onde onde.

Hong's Oyster Pancake Shoppe

A traditional Fuzhou snack, oyster pancakes is increasingly difficult to find due to the amount of culinary skill and labour that goes into making one.

But alls not lost, thanks to Hongs Oyster Pancake Shoppe. The oyster pancake here is truly worth it. Each palm-sized, UFO shaped pancake ($2.00) has a mouth-watering filling of chopped oysters, pork, prawn and spring onions encased in a thin batter dotted with peanuts.The savoury filling is addictively tasty and has none of that fishy smell that puts some people off oysters. Eat it while its hot, when the batters still crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

The onde onde (3 for $1.00) and tapioca cake (3 for $1.00) are popular items too but the onde onde could be softer in texture. If theres only room in your stomach for one snack, go for the oyster pancake!