Reviews for Hua Ting Restaurant (华庭餐厅)

3.6

AsianCantoneseChineseDim Sum
Address: Level 2, Orchard Hotel, 442 Orchard Road, 238879

Great chinese food

I'm not easy to please when it comes to good chinese food, probably because my dad used to run a restaurant. I found Hua Ting to have great customer service, usually prompt and attentive. The ambience in Orchard Hotel is also pretty classy, so it's a great venue to entertain friends, overseas guests and family.

I've been there twice for tim sum lunch (once weekday, once weekend). They are immensely popular for tim sum so please book in advance.  I have also been there once for dinner where the pace was less frenetic and we saw others with families or friends there.

Their dim sum is reasonably priced (as in relatively standard pricing compared to similar standard chinese reataurants) and the execution is pretty delicate in flavour and fresh ingredients.

their dinner menu is on the more pricey side and a great majority of the dishes are listed with 'per person' written in the side. I went with two companions so we tended to look for the dishes with 'per order' written next to it so that we could 'manage our budget'! Haha... just kidding.. we just don't like the feeling of ordering dishes based on 'per person' but i guess some places price dishes by 'small medium large' , so this is amother 'pro-rated price format'.

Anyway the peking duck is pretty good. They bring out the duck and show it to you before carving it up at an elegant island counter-style service station near the table.

They cook a second dish with the meat too and we were given several choices (some of the choices weren't the run of the mill ones). Anyway we opted for stew duck with tofu skin (this is a special tofu made inhouse by skimming off the top layer of tofu while making it and stacking those tofu skins up).. The texture of the tofu was most unusual.

We also tried their fish paste noodles- literally fish ground into paste and then made into noodle strands inhouse.  it was cooked with great wok hei. Obviously they have very skilled chefs in Hua Ting!!

If you want discounts to eat there, become an Alacarte member and you can enjoy discounts when dining at Millennium hotels!

• 28 May 2015 • 71 reviews • 1 follower

Great chinese food

• 05 Jan 2015 • 2052 reviews • 262 followers

Pricey Singaporean Chinese Food

Overall
I came to Hua Ting with high expectations, perhaps a little too high.

An old school establishment which has been around for ages, the place is popular for business dining.

At a recent visit, I started out with the Hot and Sour Soup ($12 per bowl). No surprises here as it reminded me a lot of the Americanised Chinese soup that I had in the US.

I then tried the Sweet and Sour Prawn, which once again reminded me of the Chinese food that I had in the US.

My next dish, the garlic broccoli was well executed - slightly sauteed in garlic and very crunchy.

The next dish, the dried chilli chicken had a good level of tenderness and was not very spicy.

Probably the best dish of the night had to be the "live" Soon Hock ($9.50 per 100grams). The freshness of the fish steamed in light soya sauce was evident in every bite.

The final dish of fried rice was a little disappointing as it was dry and did not have "wok hei".

Overall, food was alright, but I felt that prices were a little steep and one could get a good  Chinese fix without having to pay such high prices.

• 06 Sep 2014 • 16 reviews • 1 follower

disappointed

Overall
After having to read much good review on Hua Ting, maybe I had expected a little too much. A let down is my verdict. Furthermore, there is just way too much msg in the food. My whole family was thirsty after the meal.

Need a table now? Book these restaurants in less than 2 minutes