Back to Hung Kang Teochew Restaurant#01-01, Poh Heng Building, 28...

chefquak
 • 19 Aug 2014 171 reviews 1 follower
Overall
See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2014/08/19/ri-g20-dinner-hung-kang-on-18aug2014/

we had our monthly dinner 11pax at hung kang last evening on 18.8.2014.
last time i came here was the birthday whole suckling pig birthday dinner for my brother & sister in Jun2013.
menu still the same but saw some inflation from S$438 to S$468.
i liked the longevity buns though it was just tau sah.
#1 appetizer platter of spring rolls, jellyfish, chicken, trotter jelly was pretty ok though presentation (look) not the best. spring roll was good. trotter jelly just average. jellyfish the usual, chicken didn’t look great but tasted fine.
#2 sharkskin & fish maw soup was good very tasty!

#3 suckling pig good also. though i thought that chui huay lim & even ah yat were tastier.
#4 white cereal prawns. nothing much to comment, but i liked the usual cereal prawns much better.
#5 teochew steamed pomfret was very good! not “chow chor” aka fishy taste. excellent dish.
#6 sliced abalones with jingbai (京白) was pretty ok.
#7 fried noodles was just ok.
#8 pumpkin orh nee (金瓜芋泥) was ok. but not as good as many other places though, like chui huay lim or even muliangzai liang kee.

Lynn Yeoh
 • 04 Mar 2014 151 reviews 2 followers
Overall
Friendly staff who willingly recommend dishes(that are also expensive) and good portions. Price was on the high side for me though because a bowl of oyster porridge was twenty dollars!

Oyster omelette: poorly executed with random pockets of salt throughout the egg such tags sone vies will be fine while others will be a sodium overload. The fresh plump oysters were the saving grace.
Spinach in clay pot: my favorite dish as the spinach tasted different from the normal boring steam or sautéed spinach. The sauce wasn't greasy too!
Goose meat: this wasn't very memorable as I felt the goose was not very tender. Not much flavor wise either.
Ngoh hiang: more refined than hawker fare but I would give this a miss next time.
Yam paste: must be good because even my grandparents who don't have a lot of stomach space finished it

chefquak
 • 16 Jun 2013 171 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Read my full reviews & photos at=http://chefquak.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/whole-suckling-pig-birthday-dinner-set-hung-kang-teochew-restaurant-on-14jun2013/

was organising a birthday dinner for my brother & sister.
saw that Hung Kang Teochew Restaurant (韓江潮州酒楼) had a whole suckling pig birthday set for S$438+ so decided to do it there. Hung Kang is 1 of the old names like Yuan Xing (Guan Hin) & Tai Seng, but we had not been there for a while.
dinner started with longevity buns (寿桃).  nice touch for the mood so I didn’t mind it though everyone seemed to avoid carbo these days, but can always “ta pao” (take out) right?
the appetizer (& later even more so the longevity noodles & orh nee dessert  - oddly the start & the ends haha..) I would rate the poor dishes. the jelly fish was ok, spring roll was crispy so quite good, the pressed pig head meat was not my favourite but ok with the “kek you” citrous dip & I took couple pieces. but the chicken didn’t quite belong here. should just have a salad prawns etc like most others do.
the sharksfin with crabmeat & fishmaw was tasty, not the watery type so maybe in the “quite good” category. haha.
and the main event – the suckling pig – was good! I guess that was most important. many restaurants now do this very well, so it was not out of the ordinary but it was a great dish which everyone enjoyed.
the teochew steamed pomfret (斗鲳)  was very good too.  Many restaurants do not serve pomfret in the cheaper sets, and pomfret has a stronger taste (ie more fishy) than other more delicate textured fish, so its not easy to do it well. but this pomfret was excellent! real tecohew stuff!
the cereal prawns looked great & tasted good too.
this teochew slow stewed chinese cabbage was wonderful, really nice – another excellent dish!
I didn’t quite like this longevity noodles. somehow it was far too sweet? too much sugar? places like say Chui Huay Lim do their teochew fried seafood beehoon so well & flavourful. this one was carbo we didn’t really need.
looking at the photos, the orh nee (yam puree dessert) actually looked quite ok. unfortunately taste not there! it was not “pang” ie flavourful as orh nee went (maybe too healthy no lard?) so another carbo we didn’t need!
well, some misses but we did get to have our fix for suckling pig, and a had few other great dishes too

Must tries: suckling pig, teochew slow stewed chinese cabbage, teochew steamed pomfret

Ala Carte, Birthdays, Children/Family, Dinner, Large Groups, Large Groups/Gathering