Reviews for il Cielo (Hilton Singapore)

3.7

DessertsEuropeanItalianWesternWine
Address: Level 24, Hilton Hotel Singapore, 581 Orchard Road, 238883
01 Jun 2015

Italian by the pool

Il Cielo is a casual Italian restaurant with an option of both the options of interior of poolside dining.

At a recent visit, I started with the Burrata ($38),a large portion of chilled cheese in a bed of salad designed for sharing.

I then had the Velutata di Zucca ($20), pumpkin soup topped with black truffles. Thick and flavourful.

For my pasta dish I had the Capellini ($39), which was steeped in tomato sauce with crab meat.

For my main course I had the Cacciucco ($40), a Tuscan seafood stew. I liked the presentation here, in which there was a broth thick of fish and shellfish flavours but the seafood was served separately to prevent it from being over-soaked in the soup, with many of the items, such as salmon, cod, seabass, prawn and scallop grilled to perfection.

Dessert was the Tiramisu ($17), lightly done and served with ice cream, to end the heavy meal. Chilled out the rest of the evening with a coffee.

Overall, well executed food in a casual environment.
Cacciucco

More reviews of il Cielo (Hilton Singapore)

Overall

Lovely ambience with exquisite food

I'd been wanting to dine at il Cielo Restaurant & Bar for a while, and hence we made our way there on a Saturday evening. Unfortunately, the pool was undergoing renovations, because dining by the beautiful pool was one of the main reasons I had wanted to come to il Cielo. Non-fazed, The Beau and I were seated in the exquisite, intimate little restaurant with dim lightings, well-spaced tables and emanating quietly elegant vibes.

My starter was the 47 Degrees Cooked Salmon, served with yogurt sauce and saffron dust. The tiny cubes of salmon were delicious, no doubt - texture a cross between bouncy raw sashimi and the softness of smoked salmon. The pairing with yogurt sauce was brilliant, enhancing the sweetness of the fish with a savoury-sour overture.

For mains, I'd chosen the Roasted Octopus, served with polenta and parsley sauce. The octopus bore a lovely smoky flavor that combined well with its naturally delicate, sweet flavor. It was also grilled to a lovely tenderness that the teeth sliced through very easily. The grilled peppers on the side, and parsley sauce were charming accompaniment, no doubt; it was overally, a very enjoyable dish.

For his mains, The Beau had the Porchetta D'Iberico (SGD$44.00) - roasted iberico pork tournedos, served with sweet mashed potatoes and morels. The meat came in rolls form, and flaked off juicily and scrumptiously - there were a little fats on the side that added to the bounciness of the overall texture. The dish was paired brilliantly with plums that added a sweet flavor to the savoury red meat rolls.

For full review and more photographs, please feel free to visit:

Dine with a view

Located on the rooftop on level 24 of Hilton Singapore is a cozy and intimate pool side Italian restaurant that serves nostalgic flavours of the days past presented in a contemporary style. Il Cielo Restaurant (means "The Sky") is helm by Italian Chef Omar Bernardi using natural, organic and sustainable sources.

For the best of both world, the chef made us a half half pizza. The distinct and aromatic truffle from can be smelled from a distance when the pizza was served. It came from the Bosco ($45 for whole) that is topped with porcini, home cured Italian sausage and truffle. The other Il Cielo ($50 for whole) is a Neapolitan pizza topped with Maine lobster and caviar. Both Rome style pizzas are made with flour from Vesuviana that were thin and crispy.

A first in Singapore where the Burrata Mozzarella ($38) is freshly made 'a la minute' and paired with heirloom tomatoes. The homemade buffalo milk burrata surprisingly has a nice bite to it from the outer layer with a nice contrasting soft and moist filled bufala inside.

The Capesante ($32) comes with a trio of scallops done 3 ways. We have the pancetta and truffle, foie gras and wine reduction and Saffron sauce with caviar. A delightful trio to sample the different flavours and execution from the chef.

The Spaghetti ($36) at Il Cielo is made from the rare kamut flour. Kamut is not the name of the wheat but a trademark. The Khorasan wheat is an ancient type of grain organically grown, believed to have originated from Egypt. The al dente spaghetti was cooked with sicilian red prawn, zucchini and caviar.  It was hearty and homely but yet with a modernised execution.

The Branzino ($75) comes with a whole sea bass flash roasted on olive wood. The fish is served whole and deboned at table side by the waiter. The sea bass was moist and came with a hint of earthy aroma.

The Agnello ($50) is cooked to medium exactly what we have ordered. The beautiful olive crusted colorado rack of lamb was beautiful and paired with excellently with the truffle mustard.

The Tortino Al Cioccolata ($18) was rather misleading. The Amadel Dark Chocolate Souffle was more like a molten lava chocolate cake rather than a souffle. The accompanying spicy vanilla ice cream on the other was rather unique, creamy and smooth with a nice tad of spiciness.

Full review and photos at www.sgfoodonfoot.com

First Time at Il Cielo

The view was good but the ambience is bit bar-like.

The food was excellent, particularly the white asparagus with Iberico haam, Capesante, pizza, agnello, veal, and angel hair pasta.  even though I didn't get my dish, Orata, done the way it should be.

The only negative comment is the service, although it was not a full house, we thought we had to wait quite long for our food.

Happy with the overall experience.
Overall

Excellent authentic Italian food and service

Wow, this is authentic and excellent quality italian food and service at its best.  And though the restaurant setting is posh, our toddler was made to feel very welcome by the staff.  Warm italian hospitality at its best.   The meal was sensational from start to finish, even till today, the memory of that meal still lingers on.  Appetizer was italian tomatoes oozing with a sweet and savoury taste wrapped in the restaurant's own home made buffalo cheese.  This tomatoes-and-home made cheese combo is a match made in heaven.  Definitely wakes up your tastebuds to anticipate more.  Main of braised wagyu beef cheek did not disappoint.  It was cooked in a vacuum sealed bag to lock in the flavors we were told.  It was served with saffron-touched mashed potatoes.  Every bite of the wagyu beef cheek was flavourful, melt-in-your-mouth tender, to-die-for.  Dessert was a very smooth panna cotta with mandolin-cut pineapple slices, which I later supplemented with chocolate gelato (boring choice but I have a sweet tooth that needs satisfying).  Oh even before the appetizer, the bread basket was fresh and aromatic.  The entire meal was heaven, a culinary journey course-by-course through the heartiness and flavours and sensorial pleasures of italian cuisine.  The manager told us the chef is from north Italy so I would recommend ordering dishes that makes the most of his provenance and heritage.  Oooo.  Just writing this review is making my mouth water...the beef cheek really creates fireworks on your tastebuds, every single morsel of it.  Generous pours of wine and prosecco too!   The service excellence matches the food too.  Friendly yet classy, attentive yet unobstrusive, the manager and the lovely waitress who served us completed our experience of italian hospitality.  They were so accommodating and cheerful about my toddler's embarrassing requests for repeated servings of parmesan cheese to go with her pasta (she is an addict and can eat a full bowl of parmesan cheese on its own).  No need to ever ask for more bread or water or napkins (for my toddler's mess), the service staff will anticipate your needs before you ask them.  Another thing I really appreciate is that each course for each person is brought out just at the right time, which is uncommon even in the nice restaurants in singapore.   I will definitely be back.  Already the craving for the wagyu beef cheek and home-made buffalo cheese is intensifying as I write this review.