Back to il Cielo (Hilton Singapore)Level 24, Hilton Hotel Singapore,...

Alfresco/Outdoor Dining3 votes
View/Scenery3 votes
Wine Lists3 votes

Connie2013
 • 24 Mar 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
Wow, this is authentic and excellent quality italian food and service at its best.  And though the restaurant setting is posh, our toddler was made to feel very welcome by the staff.  Warm italian hospitality at its best.

The meal was sensational from start to finish, even till today, the memory of that meal still lingers on.  Appetizer was italian tomatoes oozing with a sweet and savoury taste wrapped in the restaurant's own home made buffalo cheese.  This tomatoes-and-home made cheese combo is a match made in heaven.  Definitely wakes up your tastebuds to anticipate more.  Main of braised wagyu beef cheek did not disappoint.  It was cooked in a vacuum sealed bag to lock in the flavors we were told.  It was served with saffron-touched mashed potatoes.  Every bite of the wagyu beef cheek was flavourful, melt-in-your-mouth tender, to-die-for.  Dessert was a very smooth panna cotta with mandolin-cut pineapple slices, which I later supplemented with chocolate gelato (boring choice but I have a sweet tooth that needs satisfying).  Oh even before the appetizer, the bread basket was fresh and aromatic.  The entire meal was heaven, a culinary journey course-by-course through the heartiness and flavours and sensorial pleasures of italian cuisine.  The manager told us the chef is from north Italy so I would recommend ordering dishes that makes the most of his provenance and heritage.  Oooo.  Just writing this review is making my mouth water...the beef cheek really creates fireworks on your tastebuds, every single morsel of it.  Generous pours of wine and prosecco too!

The service excellence matches the food too.  Friendly yet classy, attentive yet unobstrusive, the manager and the lovely waitress who served us completed our experience of italian hospitality.  They were so accommodating and cheerful about my toddler's embarrassing requests for repeated servings of parmesan cheese to go with her pasta (she is an addict and can eat a full bowl of parmesan cheese on its own).  No need to ever ask for more bread or water or napkins (for my toddler's mess), the service staff will anticipate your needs before you ask them.  Another thing I really appreciate is that each course for each person is brought out just at the right time, which is uncommon even in the nice restaurants in singapore.

I will definitely be back.  Already the craving for the wagyu beef cheek and home-made buffalo cheese is intensifying as I write this review.

Must tries: Braised wagyu beef cheek

After Work, Ala Carte, Anniversary, Business Dining

WSM
 • 24 Jun 2012 65 reviews 6 followers
Overall
I had been to il Cleo recently and realised they have a change of chef. The new chef executes the mains (esp. meat) better than the previous one and the old favourites (appetisers and pastas) are still as good.

I had also like my tiro scallops and this time round (my 3rd time eating it), it did not disappoint. The scallops are big and sweet. The new ravioli with abalone and clams is v v good. On the main, the grilled seabass has been my old favourite but the new spanish pork chop dish is definitely the best pork chop in town.

I have always liked the setting at the restaurant which is semi-alfresco. To top it up, the wine list is decent but not too pricey. I can get a decent drink of Italian white and red w/o burning a hole in my pocket.

The only disappointment is the dessert. I had better tiramisu under the former chef. They need to work on the dessert bit.

Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Business Dining, Fine Dining, Private Dining, Quiet, View/Scenery, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Wheelchair Friendly, Wine Lists

foodmakespplhappy
 • 17 Oct 2011 107 reviews 2 followers
Overall

For pictures, please visit foodmakespeoplehappy.blogspot.com thanks!

Having read about il Cielo having this Caviar Degustation menu, my family decided to try it!

Italian firm Agroittica Lombarda is a pioneer of sustainable caviar farming and its Calvisius brand of premium caviar will be available in Singapore for the first time.

View of the restaurant:

Outside the restaurant is this bar-like area where you can have drinks, enjoy the night breeze and have a good view of Orchard Road (though I think the view isnt really v nice haha cos its all uh buildings which arent really that pretty) The restaurant's pretty open concept so unless you're seated in the inner side of the restaurant, else you'll be only having like 1/4 air-con and 3/4 night breeze, so if the night is hot, good luck to you! Luckily for us it was rather windy tonight but my parents were sweating a little still.

Warmmm fluffy bread! Love me some warm hot yummy bread (: There were 3 types, a bread stick with sesame seeds (reallyyy crispy and addictive!), a white bun that was really fluffy and a bun that I presume was made of rye flour because of the colour (slightly darker brown? Not sure though) 4.5/5

I believe the right's truffle butter (went v well with the bread!) and then olive oil + balsamic vinegar, and yes they served it like that, with a drop of balsamic vinegar haha

Plate and porcelain spoon given to eat the caviar with, because you cant use metal to eat else you'll "spoil" the caviar!

Calvisius Caviar Degustation with Accompaniment for 2 - $298

I'll talk about each part below!

Front row: Potato with sour cream (this was soooo soft and nice), Oscietra Royal Caviar, Siberian Caviar, White Sturgeon, Oscietra Classic Caviar (unopened)

Background: vodka scrambled eggs

Middle: fine raw Ombrina fish

Front left: White Sturgeon Caviar (caviar not pictured)- this was more salty than the Classic one and the aroma wasnt as intense

Front right: Classic Caviar Oscietra  - this was slightly salty only, with a really strong intense aroma. My Mom and I really loved this!

Angel Hair Pasta with shaved truffle and fresh caviar

The chef came to our table with a truffle shaver like thing and asked if we would like to have fresh caviar shaved on our pasta, so naturally we said okay because we've never tasted caviar in this form! The taste isnt as intense as the small little round morsels but the taste of caviar was very much there in that thin sheet of caviar!

The angel hair pasta was dry (in a good way) but the truffle aroma wasnt v strong! Thought this went well with the Siberian caviar because the Siberian caviar was quite salty hence went perfectly well with this angel hair pasta!

Background - Risotto Oyster: this was v yummy on its own!! Really good quality creamy cheese, perfectlyyy al dente arborio rice (assuming they're using this) and a piece of super fresh oyster! This went really well with the Siberian also cos the saltiness cuts through the creaminess and brings the dish to a whole new level!

2nd row (L-R): Hard boiled egg yolks, egg whites, fresh blinis with sour cream - went well with any of the caviars I felt

Front - Crystal Bay prawns done crudo style (ie just drizzle olive oil, lemon, salt, garnishing): felt the prawns generally went well with any of the caviars

Vodka Scrambled eggs - This was ssooooooo good! Scrambled eggs were the BEST I've ever eaten! So perfectly fluffy and flavourful!!! 5/5

Royal Caviar Oscietra

This was the 2nd most salty after the Siberian!

Siberian

Bosco Pizza - $46

Porcini, Italian Sausage, Truffle

Look at how THIN it is!! Mom commented it was like eating paper prata haha. Yes its really thin, and it doesnt really feel like you're eating pizza 'cos well, we've all associated it with at least a semblance of something sturdy and substantial below, unlike this which was really paper-prata-thin kind of thin! Like a slice of paper! It was REALLY crispy though!! Even after quite some time it was still crispy and biting into it (esp the ends of the the pizza) makes audible crisp sounds! The truffle was v aromatic when you bring the pizza near your mouth but the taste got covered when you put it in your mouth by all the stronger flavours eg cheese/mushroom so yea, cant really taste the truffle!

The pizza's made from specialty flour from Vesuvlana and baked in a open fire brick oven! I'd recommend the pizza for anyone wanting a meal that seems like but is actually quite filling! 4.3/5

Italian Tuscany Tomato Soup with crab meat

The soup was quite sour cos of the tomatoes but really refreshing! Quite a lot of crab bits as well! 4.3/5

Raviolo

Egg, spinach, ricotta cheese

The taste of the cheese was really strong, cuts through the egg and spinach such that you cant taste the spinach at all! Really good way to make people eat their veg haha. The runnyy eggyolk made me really happy hehe (: A rather average dish only I feel. 3.5/5

Pre-dessert: lemon cream

This is like the filling of a lemon tart but slightly creamier and a little bit more fluid. Mom really disliked it because she thought it was like eating medicine haha but I thought it was okay, just that the texture was a little weird, in between a custard/paste texture? 3/5

Dessert Platter: Lemon Sorbet, Tiramisu

Lemon sorbet was okay only, not really a tangy lemon taste but a little sweet sigh

Tiramisu: Really bad rendition, no alcohol taste at all and the coffee was too bitter!

Dessert Platter: Strawberry Panna Cotta, Lemon Tart

The panna cotta wasnt too bad, quite smooth and nice

Lemon tart: seriously, this is not even a TART. It was just the lemon tart FILLING that was way TOO sweet, was really disappointed at this.

Dessert Platter costs $16 and consists of the things I've listed which is everything in the menu except the chocolate fondant which is not in the dessert platter. I wouldnt recommend ordering dessert from il Cielo because really, their desserts are SERIOUSLY BAD.

The total price of the meal was $500+ for 3 cos my Dad had a glass of champagne and a glass of red, but all of us felt that the food was average only and wasnt worth the money. I prefer Capri's pizzas to here really, a real pizza base (at least to me) with the same earthy wonderful aromas and taste (Even better I feel) and the same crispy ends!