Review for in ITALY Bar Ristorante

EuropeanItalian
Address: 38 Craig Road, 089676

19 Dec 2013

Great squid ink risotto

See the full review with pictures here.

Yet another restaurant on the list of top handmade pastas in Singapore: InItaly. It's difficult to get a spot here on the weekend without a reservation.    They started us off with a bowl of grissini, and also rather interestingly, deep fried ravioli with a minty pesto dip. It was really nice.   We decided to try the burrata here as well, being in some sort of burrata phase where we go around eating the burrata in every Italian restaurant we walk into. Their platter was excellent, particularly the sweet yellow pepper compote thing that went perfectly with the prosciutto. Here are the tomatoes that came with the platter.   L got the veal ravioli, which I didn't quite fancy because of the sauce. The only buttery sauce base I like for pasta is sage and brown butter.    I got the orrechiette featured in the Appetite article and it was fantastic. I liked it best. I think orrechiette look like mini abacus seeds (the starchy tapioca beads used in some chinese cooking). Literally, it means 'little ears'.   We also ordered the squid ink risotto with soft shell crab. It was extremely dramatically plated with a sheet of gold foil in the middle bubbling up from the heat of the risotto. The soft shell crab was amazing and the risotto was extremely creamy.   I would give the desserts here a miss. They are pricey and the tiramisu loses hands down to Da Laura's.    I very much liked the layout of the restaurant, with a bar like thing in the middle. They were having some truffle specials on the chalkboard outside which we didn't try in the end but they looked really good. I thought all of the pastas were pretty good and would definitely like to return here.

More reviews of in ITALY Bar Ristorante

Overall

Nice ambience, good food, friendly chef!

My girlfriends and I met on Saturday for dinner at 6.30pm at inITALY. However, as I only made our reservation on the day of our dinner, we were told we would need to return the table by 7.45pm. Wanting to have Italian cuisine for dinner (and me being lazy to find another place), we agreed.

Upon arrival, we were led to the high tables which I felt were the best seats in the house as it gave us a good view of what’s happening within the restaurant. Ideal for nosy people like me. Haha! The high tables were also placed such that the next high table was separated by a column which gave us privacy where our tables were not too close for discomfort.

However, it being the Restaurant Week, there was a slight confusion when we wanted to place our orders. We wanted to order from the a-la carte menu, but the staff insisted we could only order the set menu that was tailored for Restaurant Week. Thankfully, chef Mario Caramella came out at the right moment and gave us the go ahead to order from a-la carte menu.

And from the menu (pages 1234), we ordered:-

1) Bread, Complimentary – Upon seated, we were served a basket containing 2 types of bread and a plate of cheese (not pictured). And I was really impressed with the beer bread which was served warm. I tried it with the salsa verde too, but I preferred it alone. Cause it was that good. Slightly thick, slightly chewy, slightly oily and so tasty.

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here: PART2

8) Limoncello souffle, $20 – Lemon liqueur souffle. This was good for photo-taking cause it did not deflate quickly like most souffles do. Ha. This was more egg-y than how I preferred my souffle to be.

9) Cannolo aperto, $16 – Sheep’s milk ricotta cheese mousse with Sicilian candied fruit, layered on cripsy Cannolo biscuit & pistachio ice cream.

Food was decent and inITALY provided a really cosy ambience for us ladies to eat and catch up. However, it was the service that won our hearts. During the midst of clarifying that we could order from the a-la carte menu, chef Mario Caramella mentioned he would need the table back at 7.45pm. However, he added on that we shall play by the ear. And we managed to stay till 8.45pm! Haha.

The group only came in at 8.30pm cause of the rain. And instead of chasing us (to quickly finish our desserts) or relocating us to the alfresco table, it was nice that the staff only hinted us that they needed the table back (as earlier informed over the phone) by passing us the bill after our desserts were served. Of course it helped that we were also 自动 (automatic). Haha.

I am also not sure if it was because it’s Restaurant Week, but I noticed chef Mario Caramella comes out to the front a lot to make sure everything was going smoothly. So yes, it was definitely refreshing to see the chef so ‘hands on’.

---------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog

Bad food quality

I went there after seeing rave reviews about its stracciatella, but was told that its menu had changed. We ordered the closest replacement it had, the acqua pazza, but wa ssorely disappointed. The seafood was NOT fresh. Other dishes we tried were pollo alla diavola, filletto, and orecchiette. Food quality for those other dishes were just meh. The bread bowl was good, but that was about it. Service was great, but give me meh service with good food any day..
Overall

great service, warm ambience and fantastic food

Service was fabulous the moment I made my reservation. Staff was very accommodating. At the restaurant staff was very attentive and happy to serve additional servings of the fresh fragrant bread that was complimentary. The seafood soup had thick flavours of seafood - prawns and mussels. The octopus and prawn salad was fresh. The octopus was bouncy and the prawns were large and very fresh. The squid ink tonnarelli was al dente with generous pieces of lobster.  The beef tenderloin was juicy and succulent, cooked perfectly to medium rare as requested.  The cod fish was a generous portion and very flaky and fresh. The rose liquor souffle was special, with sufficiently strong rose liquor and rose petals. We initially thought that the restaurant doesn't serve tap water but it does and the staff do refill it pretty often (very attentive).
Overall

Enjoyed some of the dishes but ambience is underwhelming

Worth a try, though we didn't think the ambience was as cozy or romantic as we had expected. The wide tables make it a bit difficult to have a conversation with your partner without letting all your neighbours know what you are talking about. Still, we'd give it an 7-8 out of 10. We are divided over whether we would come back a second time given all the other Italian places out there.
  We started by sharing an entree of mussels and clams flown in from Europe. This came in a great broth and we had to ask for extra bread to soak it up. The clams, about the size of your fingernail, were nice and sweet though the mussels were a bit ordinary. If we return, we'll go for the burrata or full plates of parma ham that one of our neighbouring tables had.
  For the mains, we had osso bucco ravioli, which was one dimensional and disappointing, and a great orrechiette dish with crisp parma ham and fresh porcinis. Anything with bacon added tastes great of course, but this was a well conceptualized, well balanced but rustic and lusciously rich "cold weather" dish.
  The service was fine although I was annoyed when a waiter tried to get me to upsize to a more expensive wine. It was superior to the one I had selected, but I didn't feel like paying $40 more. He just wouldn't stop pushing the other one, which was a bit embarrassing in front of my date.
  Dinner for two, including a lovely Brunello Marronetto (order early to give it ample time to breathe) was around $300, on the pricey side given one of our mains was a dud.