27 Jan 2015
I am always on the lookout for good Italian restaurants. This is a new concept by the owners who also own the popular Etna restaurants at Duxton and East Coast.
The restaurant offers authentic Italian food from across Italy and doesn't focus on a specific Italian region. The atmosphere is relaxed and you feel like you are dining in a friend’s home.
The restaurant features an open-concept kitchen. The executive Chef, Anna is really friendly and explains the food tradition, history and ingredients. Very knowledgeable and informative.
Their drinks offering is interesting. They offer their own still and sparkling water made on-premise, through reverse-osmosis process. You can now get ‘fresh’ water ‘brewed’ inhouse! The white and red wines are freshly pulled from a barrel tap and can be aerated to create a sparkling wine.
Here are the meal highlights:
- Assorted pizzas: $19. 3 types of pizzas, with different toppings and the Roman Schiacciata with truffle and ricotta Cheese spread. The latter is a highlight. Must try!
- Stuffed Fried Olives: $9. Pitted olives filled with meat, batter-coated and deep fried, with a side of mayonnaise. I love olives, so I like this.
- Rice “Suppli’: $9. A deep fried rice ball with mozzarella middle. The rice tastes like tomato rice. Delicious. Try it!
- Crispy Golden Seafood in Semolina Crumb: $9. Deep fried batter coated prawns & cut-up squid. Eat while its hot to enjoy.
- Assorted Seasonal Vegetables in Beer Batter: $9. Fried strips of eggplant, carrot and capsicum. The batter is thin and I loved this. Recommended!
- Porchetta: $12. Baked pork belly with wild fennel and black pepper. Other restaurants charge 3 times more. Nice, good crackling on the outside. The fennel added a good flavour. Recommended!
- Handmade Raviolacci with meat filling: $18. 4 round raviolli filled with ‘slow cooked in oven’ beef with a cream sauce. The filling reminds me of pate. Try it!
- Cavatelli Burnt Wheat Pasta with Eggplant & Tomato: $24. An old-school pasta that is now revived in Italy. My first time eating this, and it's like eating oats. Has diced eggplant, fresh and sun dried tomato. The Pecorino cheese also added flavour to the dish. Order this for something unique!
- Beef Fillet “Alla Maremmana”: $28. Grilled US Ribeye steak, sliced thinly like sashimi and plated on rocket leaves. This is topped with sliced button mushrooms that has been sauteed in a cream sauce. Good!
- Tiramisu in a jar: $9. Served in a glass jar, the tiramisu has little alcohol in it and topped with pistachio crumbs. Good for children and adults!
- Lemon Tart: $12. A slice of the lemon tart topped with Italian Meringue. The meringue is soft and not hard with lemon peel and have vanilla seeds folded in. Nice and tart!
- Frozen Capuccino: A unique concoction. It's a shaken capuccino in a martini glass. Nice and refreshing.
A great meal at iO and I look forward to bringing my family here to dine here soon. Recommended!