Back to Ippudo SG#04-02/03/04, Mandarin Gallery, 333A Orchard Road

Wine Lists3 votes

ArcticStar
 • 16 Feb 2014 147 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Before I visited, I heard many good reviews about them. After my first visit - which I was impressed  - I have been back at least thrice, bringing different friends to introduce them to the delicious ramen served here. This outlet does not allow reservations, and it is not uncommon to see long queues outside the popular restaurant, especially during lunch and dinner hours. The good thing is that the lines are usually cleared very fast.

I have tried several types of Ramen here before, but let me share the two most memorable ones. The wonderful thing about their noodles is that it consists of fine strands, springy, and the service crew would ask for "Doneness" of noodles - hard or soft. Yes, this is the unique point of Ippudo's ramen - usually I opt for harder noodles.

First, the Shiromaru Special - original tonkotsu (pork) broth served with thin noodles, pork loins, cabbage, kikurage and spring onions - on the side are flavored egg, tender pork cube and bamboo shoots. I absolutely love their soups, regardless of which type of ramen I eventually end up ordering. They are always in-your-face delicious, flavored at full blasts, and non-greasy. Being a fan of flavored eggs (their "braised egg" is rather different from the other Japanese restaurants' - the inside is tenderly raw while the outside is hard-boiled) and bamboo shoots, the entire combination makes for a really hearty meal.

I also love their Spicy Black Pork Ramen -I would add the flavored egg as this does not come with it. Another blend of scrumptious soup base, quality thin noodles, bamboo shoot and best of all, black pork. Somehow, black pork has a luscious, delectable taste in additional to its extreme tenderness. I am usually not a fan of pork, but I do enjoy black pork. The tastiness of black pork cooked with delicious broth and noodles, makes for a very gratifying meal.

For more detailed information and photos, do visit:

Must tries: spicy black pork ramen, shiromaru special

Dinner, Lunch

Flona Hakim
 • 15 Jan 2014 6 reviews 0 follower
Overall
So far this is the ramen that I love the most, the pork taste in the broth is not too strong, just nice
After Work, Ala Carte, Dinner, Lunch, Night Out

The Hungry Bunny
 • 17 Dec 2013 479 reviews 19 followers
Overall
See the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com

I finally tried Ippudo, the famed ramen joint with the infamous snaking lines. It's been a couple of years since the lauded ramen king landed on our shores and they now have 3 outlets. So while the notorious queues have subsided, their hearty and robust ramen ensures a steady flow, and on occasion, flash flood, of diners.

An observation we made over dinner last Thursday was that the restaurant isn't catered to date nights. It's more a place to dine and dash, with payment of the bill made first, of course. The din of the crowded restaurant makes hearing your dining companion(s) a feat, and the overt clearing of dishes in order to turn over the diners efficiently deters any lingering.

The Shiromaru Motoaji ($15), Ippudo's original tonkotsu broth is what made them famous. I thought the full-bodied, albeit oily, soup base was decent, with hardly a sticky film present in most substandard tonkotsu broths. We chose the popular medium texture for the noodles (there's soft, medium, hard and extra hard to choose from), and it was a nice contrast to the still-crunchy cabbage, radish and black fungus. The cha shu is tender enough but not particularly spectacular.

However, the standout was their seasonal ramen, the Spicy Black ($18), a "zeng-ed" up version of the original tonkotsu, with spicy niku miso, black pepper, and spicy koyu oil. I loved loved LOVED this. The black pepper lent a nuanced kick to the broth and balanced the tonkotsu base. I was still daydreaming and salivating over this days after.