Reviews for Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel) (彩日本料理)

3.2

AsianJapanese
Address: #03-01, River View Hotel, 382 Havelock Road, 17955

14 Mar 2013

SMU Gourmet Club

For the full review with photos, visit :http://www.smugourmetclub.com/articles/irodori-riverview-hotel/

Irodori is a simple and chic-looking Japanese restaurant that promises good food at decent prices. Expect quality food – to be sure, we are excluding the leagues of Shinji and Aoki – from their a la carte buffet menu of Japanese cuisine mainstays. Conveniently located at Havelock Road, it is only a short journey to travel from school if you have cravings to satisfy.

We started with the complimentary Ebi Mentai Mayo (grilled tiger prawn). A pity this dish cannot be ordered again because it was one of the more noteworthy dishes, grilled to goodness. For a few fleeting moments of eating this, I had the sudden thought that mayo should used everywhere.

The buffet menu has a wide variety of choices and some of the dishes you have to order include the Sashimi Moriawase. The beautifully plated sashimi includes  a mixture ofShake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Hamachi (yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), Tako (octopus) and Tai (snapper). They give very generous cuts of the sashimi which is fresh and smooth. Waiting time for this dish will be longer on crowded days because everyone will be ordering sashimi (which is the main point of a Japanese buffet after all). Kudos to the tako. I had many slices that were glossily tender and filled with briny sweetness while a few did fall a bit below that.

There’s no way we would pass up the chance to have a simple Chawanmushi. Intensely savory, smooth, custardy, you could pick out the use of a really rich dashi or chicken stock. All the better when it was pouring outside at that time.

More reviews of Irodori Japanese Restaurant

Affordable Japanese Buffet with good variety

For full review and photos, visit: http://thumbsforfood.blogspot.sg/2012/10/irodori-japanese-restaurant-riverview.htmlI was there on a Sunday, and there was not much of a crowd. The sashimi here is pretty good. I really like the swordfish and the salmon sashimi. For sashimi lovers, the price of the buffet is really worth it. Another highlight of the dinner was of course, the Ebi Mentai Mayo. Each person will receive one and it was definitely yummy.As it was my first visit and I have no experience to compare with, I think the food is worth a try for the price and quality!

Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 05 Dec 2012
Dear ThumbsForFood, Thank you for your review. We are glad to learn that you found our Ala Carte Buffet to be of good quality at an affordable price and look forward to your next visit to our restaurant.

Standard is Dipping

I was there today(our 3rd trip so far) for Buffet Lunch.

The last 2 visits were wonderful and we had kind of decided that this is by far the best for us, having been to Minori,Hanabi & Seki that do similar Jap Buffet.

But today is a BIG disappointment.

Sashimi Platter is horrible, worse than what I can get from Supermarket. I have to send them back to the Chef for a replacement. Replacement Sashimi was as louisy, totally changed my perception of this restaurant. I told my family that we will NOT go back there anymore.

Just don't understand why the standard had dipped so drastically from the previous 2 visits(within 3 months ago).

I just hope the Management can look into this and hopefully some standard,quality can be restored soon.

I made a quick observation at tables around, it seemed that Sashimi leftovers were common sight. I wondered if it was because of poor quality that they rather gave them a miss as well.

I gave my feedback to the Staff there and I hope things will improve soon.

Standard has dropped..

It's probably my 4th or 5th visit here over past 1.5 years..

Honestly and personally, quality of food (specifically, the sashimi) has dropped. Service was good (in fact, better than before).

If not for the cc discount (15% off) and previous okay experiences, I wouldn't choose to come here. But looking at the current food quality, I would rather forgo the discount and go elsewhere.

Can't expect much

Was there during Hari Raya holiday and it was full...luckily we had reservations!

There was a UOB promotion so 25% off lunch price was a good deal and honestly, what do you expect from a $30.90 Japanese buffet lunch?

Service was so-so, they tried their best as it was super busy. Food was served quite promptly. Don't ever order the rice aka don as I seriously suspect what kinda inferior rice they use cos it tastes like a mixed of Japanese & Thai rice!

We were each given the restaurant special of BBQ prawns, pretty decent and fresh.

The salmon was crudely sliced and was very thick but I never have a problem as I love sashimi and could just eat the whole chunk even if it's not sliced! The quality of the sashimi they have is reasonable based on what we pay. Too bad they didn't have my favourite ika :(

The other cooked, bbq food were also pretty decent. I like the chawamushi but find the ake-danshi tofu skin too thick.

The chicken teriyaki looks and tastes pathetic too.

On the overall, I find it acceptable if you are not too picky as you really can't compare, trust me :)

Japanese Restaurant

I was there with my family last Sunday for lunch and it was not our first time patronizing the place. It is a nice place to go for authentic Japanese food.

As it was a Ala Carte buffet, we ordered most of the food that were on the menu. The sashimi platter which comes in its usual mix of salmon, swordfish, tuna and octopus is consistently fresh and good. The handrolls, tempura and grilled stuffs are also relatively delicious. The complimentary dishes were succulent espcially the grilled prawns, they were simply irresistible.

The service was not as bad as i have expected. Considering the workload due to the packed lunch crowd, food were being served quite fast along with the constant changing of plates and topping up of tea.