Back to Irodori Japanese Restaurant#03-01, River View Hotel, 382...

Sashimi16 votes

Wine Lists4 votes
Live Band3 votes
Relaxed3 votes
View/Scenery3 votes

15% Discount during lunch for ala carte buffet and ala carte only for selected cards*. Other deals are available, find out more

ivyg
 • 10 Nov 2012 45 reviews 3 followers
Overall
For more details and photos, please visit here: http://www.ivyleh.com/2012/10/what-sunday.html

I recalled the last time I dined at Irodori more than a year ago and was pretty satisfied with the meal so I decided to bring my parents here to celebrate my mum's bday since she love japanese food.
The folks felt that the selections weren't as extensive as they expected and taste wise were only mediocre. However for the price that we've paid at $35.80++/pax, I find it still acceptable. We love the Ebi Mentai Mayo the most! A real pity that there's only one serving per diner.
Suitable to go when they have offer something like dine 3-free-1 promotions.

Must tries: Grilled prawns with mentaiko

Birthdays, Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Large Groups, Lunch

Management

Dear ivyg, Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sad tolearn that our buffet selection was not able to meet yourexpectations and will work to improve ourselves further.

05 December 2012

Chubby Botak Koala
 • 09 Nov 2012 251 reviews 18 followers
Overall
It has been a while since I last had my share of Japanese Buffet. Not sure why, probably because age is catching up. For 35++/ adult any time any day is actually quite value for money. Located in River View Hotel at Havelock Road it probably help the restaurant to keep the price pocket friendly to the customer.

So what's excellent:

Sashimi Moriawase – The combination consist of shake (salmon), maguro (Tuna), hamachi (Yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), tako (octopus), tai (snapper). All of the sashimi taste very fresh, smooth and the cuts are also generous. I did not manage to try the tako, but I don't think I miss much.

Irodori Maki (Irodori Special Roll) – the combination of the mayonnaise and crunchiness of the ebiko (prawn roe), really make this maki special.

Grilled Prawns with mentaiko and broilled salmon head - Fresh and yummy is to describe this dishes. The salmon head is not fishy, and broiled with soy sauce, ginger and mirin. It is not in the menu, instead it is only serve once for each customer. Very common in Japanese buffet restaurant to give you the exclusive feeling.

Chawamushi – this steam egg is silky smooth.

Other than the above, you have more than 100 items in the menu to choose from. Starting from sashimi, maki mono (Matt Roll), yaki mono (grill dishes), nigiri (finger press) sushi, te-maki (hand roll), age mono (deep fried), teppan yaki, menrui / gohan mono (soba / rice).

The other dishes that we manage to taste such as their mixed tempura, tebasaki karaage (deep fried mid wing), tori karaage, beef and pork shogayaki, enoki shitake butter yaki, soft shell crab handroll, chicken yakitori, saba fish, ebi furai (bread crumb prawn), tonkatsu, saba fish and zaru soba. The standard of each dish is actually quite good on average.

Deserts are not part of the buffet, but if you have extra space left in your tummy or you need to satisfied your sweet tooth, you can order the green tea or sesame ice cream.

Base on our visit on Thursday night, it can be seen that this restaurant is quite popular. This place can seat around 100 people and on that night, it is almost full, including the chef's counter. The restaurant is spacious, bright and comfortable. Service is very efficient, and we have this tea lady keep the green tea flowing at all times.

Overall, this restaurant really make a good impression on all fronts. Starting from ambiance, food quality, service and price. If you go to any good ala carte Japanese restaurant, you will probably spend the same amount as the buffet. So I guess, I'll be back for more then. Thanks to HGW for inviting me for the food tasting. Jūbun ni meshiagare – bon appetit in Japanese.

Must tries: Sashimi, Irodori special Maki, Grilled prawns with mentaiko

After Work, Anniversary, Birthdays, Boys Night Out, Buffet, Girls Night Out, Large Groups/Gathering

caniggia
 • 05 Nov 2012 213 reviews 28 followers
Overall
Kudos to the folks at HGW for inviting me to the review session at this joint

Upon arrival, I was welcomed by a series of credit card promotional banners at the entrance. Seeing that there’s a 15% off the bill with the varied credit cards, filling the seats shouldn’t be a problem.

On entry, my speculation was proven correct; the seats were very much filled, and were already bustling like a typical Japanese joint in Ginza, Tokyo, Japan.  35++ for lunch or dinner buffet, with more than 100 items to choose from the menu makes for a very note-worthy joint for my revisit.

This being a buffet joint, you will not be expecting to see bellies & seasonal catches on the menu. However, their cuts of the sake, maguro, hamachi, mekajiki, tako & tai are savory favorites of mine.

I’d have to say I took to liking the irodori maki & soft shell crab roll. Chawan mushi that was served right at the beginning lingered in my thoughts for a good hour. The texture is smoother than silken tofu, and the egg scent is almost absent.

On the side, with the Dobin mushi was another delight that helped ingestion of the spread.

Dessert is not on the buffet menu, but available at really affordable price.

Must tries: sake sashimi, maguro sashimi, hamachi sashimi, mekajiki sashimi, tai sashimi, tako sashimi, Irodori maki, spider handroll, chawanmushi, dobin mushi, grilled pike, grilled

After Work, Ala Carte, Boys Night Out, Buffet, Business Dining, Children/Family, Dinner, Formal Events, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch, Night Out, Private Dining, Quiet, Vibrant/Noisy, View/Scenery