Reviews for Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel) (彩日本料理)

3.2

AsianJapanese
Address: #03-01, River View Hotel, 382 Havelock Road, 17955

14 Mar 2013

SMU Gourmet Club

For the full review with photos, visit :http://www.smugourmetclub.com/articles/irodori-riverview-hotel/

Irodori is a simple and chic-looking Japanese restaurant that promises good food at decent prices. Expect quality food – to be sure, we are excluding the leagues of Shinji and Aoki – from their a la carte buffet menu of Japanese cuisine mainstays. Conveniently located at Havelock Road, it is only a short journey to travel from school if you have cravings to satisfy.

We started with the complimentary Ebi Mentai Mayo (grilled tiger prawn). A pity this dish cannot be ordered again because it was one of the more noteworthy dishes, grilled to goodness. For a few fleeting moments of eating this, I had the sudden thought that mayo should used everywhere.

The buffet menu has a wide variety of choices and some of the dishes you have to order include the Sashimi Moriawase. The beautifully plated sashimi includes  a mixture ofShake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Hamachi (yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), Tako (octopus) and Tai (snapper). They give very generous cuts of the sashimi which is fresh and smooth. Waiting time for this dish will be longer on crowded days because everyone will be ordering sashimi (which is the main point of a Japanese buffet after all). Kudos to the tako. I had many slices that were glossily tender and filled with briny sweetness while a few did fall a bit below that.

There’s no way we would pass up the chance to have a simple Chawanmushi. Intensely savory, smooth, custardy, you could pick out the use of a really rich dashi or chicken stock. All the better when it was pouring outside at that time.

More reviews of Irodori Japanese Restaurant

Overall

Good variety and quality for the price

I discovered this place a few years ago and have been going back regularly since. I visit this place probably once every 3 - 4 months. It can be a crowded in the evenings so i usually try to go during lunch when i'm on leave or during the weekends. Lunch buffet is also cheaper for the same menu, so better value anyway.

I feel this is a japanese buffet that is quite value for money. They are generous with their sashimi and for their mixed platter, they give you thick cuts of various fishes. Presentation of the sashimi is good. Sometimes when i specifically order just salmon and swordfish sashimi, my personal favourite, quantity is also generous (they fill up the plate with the same amount as a mixed platter would). I would consider the sashimi quality to be good for the price.

Other dishes i like are the grilled mushroom, chanwanmushi, salmon hand roll, tempura, butter fried mushrooms and various pork and beef dishes. I appreciate how they serve these in smaller quantities so i can have a larger variety, Definitely, definitely order their salmon aburi (flame grilled salmon with rice sushi), this is delicious. I can eat a lot of this and not get tired! Their teapot soup is unique, so order it when you're getting a little full. Maybe try the ramen too, it's a small portion. Their garlic rice is tasty. I don't usually get to order garlic rice at normal japanese restaurants and since this is a buffet, do order it anyway!

After everything, i occasionally order the green tea ice cream with red bean. It's smooth, with the flavour just right

Overall, a good place to go every now and then when you're hungry and craving jap food.

Best Sashimi

Had the ala carte dinner buffet here on a Friday night. Service was good with the waiters introducing each dish that was served. The menu has a huge variety of dishes, many I have not heard of before, with alot of interesting dishes to try. Good place to try something new and exciting for a change, But out of all these, I have to highlight the Sashimi. If you love Sashimi, this is the place for you. The sashimi, unlike some other places, was served in generous portions, and was one of the freshest and tastiest Sashimi I have ever tried. Definitely a good place to check out.

Good Japanese Restaurant

If you are like me, always craving for Japanese food, you need to make a trip down to Irodori Japanese Restaurant. It’s really good and be sure to make a reservation or you’ll never get to sink your teeth into those yummy perfectly Japanese buffets.

Quite Exp for this standard

Service was lousy..i used the same plate throughout the 3 hrs buffet! Despite my reminders, did not change and clear the table. So much so that we gv up and pile the table with dirty n empty plate. The aunt pouring my green tea was rude, instead of walking to our side, she expect us to pass her the glass, which we would gladly do so if she asked nicely.
Food standard also drop, the tempura was not crispy n the soup was not hot. in terms of variety, it is also quite limited and there are still no desserts. Ice cream have to be ordered separately. Overall for a $43 meal, it is not worth. i rather go to Kiseiki
Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 04 Aug 2014
Dear SG Kwek, Thank you for choosing Irodori Japanese Restaurant as your dining destination. We want to apologize for your unpleasant dining experience with us. We take pride in our service and food quality, it is always with regret that we were not able to deliver this expectation. We would definitely look into improvements to our daily operations as we certainly hope you will dine with us again. Yours sincerely, The Management Irodori Japanese Restaurant

Food Standard Drop Tremendously

It been a while I come here for a meal. We actually book a table for Pomo outlet through HGW . It was confirmed but when we reached there the place is closed. We called the River Valley Outlet. The nice lady who took my call invited us over to River Valley. It was a complete disaster! The Sashimi wasn't fresh at all. It may be a PH we came by but still food should be up to standard. The Hamachi was sour? The server there was very nice. They changed one for me and asked for another feedback. It was the same. The salmon wasn't fresh too. The plate of mixed Sashimi was served room temperature. Service recovery was done and I was given a plate of salmon belly which might cost $25! Other food was not as good as before too. The service is good but we also pay for food. If a plate of Sashimi wasn't fresh , it is not a place for Japanese food at all. Pork with ginger sauce had a tad of refrigerated porky smell! I also want to enquire why isn't a feedback tab on this restaurant's homepage?? Won't be back for sure
Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 04 Aug 2014
Dear Yvonne Koh 677, Thank you for sharing your experience at Irodori Japanese Restaurant. We regret to hear about the unpleasant dining experience, which we sincerely apologise for. Your feedback will be taken into serious consideration and we will share it with the team for further improvement. Quality and freshness of our offerings are equally important to us and we certainly hope you that you’ll visit us the next time round for a better experience! Yours sincerely, The Management Irodori Japanese Restaurant