Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel) (彩日本料理)

Summary

Sashimi, Grilled prawns with mentaiko, Irodori special Maki, chawanmushi, enoki, spider handroll, grilled pike, Teapot soup, ebi furai, salmon sashimi, shishamo, Sashimi, croquette, Shiitake Teriyaki (Grilled Mushroom), dobin mushi, egg plant in miso, grilled, grilled prawn, half chicken wings, hamachi sashimi, handroll, lobster mentaki, maguro sashimi, mekajiki sashimi, mushroom roll, sake sashimi, shitake teriyaki, steamed fish head, sushi, tai sashimi, tako sashimi, unagi grill, yaki View all
Buffet, Children/Family, Dinner, Lunch, After Work, Large Groups/Gathering, Vibrant/Noisy, Birthdays, Boys Night Out, Business Dining, Girls Night Out, Large Groups, Ala Carte, Cheap Eat/Budget, Quiet, Anniversary, Night Out, Wine Lists, Chillout, Live Band, Relaxed, View/Scenery View all

SMU Gourmet Club

Food/Drink 3| Value 4

For the full review with photos, visit :http://www.smugourmetclub.com/articles/irodori-riverview-hotel/

Irodori is a simple and chic-looking Japanese restaurant that promises good food at decent prices. Expect quality food – to be sure, we are excluding the leagues of Shinji and Aoki – from their a la carte buffet menu of Japanese cuisine mainstays. Conveniently located at Havelock Road, it is only a short journey to travel from school if you have cravings to satisfy.

We started with the complimentary Ebi Mentai Mayo (grilled tiger prawn). A pity this dish cannot be ordered again because it was one of the more noteworthy dishes, grilled to goodness. For a few fleeting moments of eating this, I had the sudden thought that mayo should used everywhere.

The buffet menu has a wide variety of choices and some of the dishes you have to order include the Sashimi Moriawase. The beautifully plated sashimi includes  a mixture ofShake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Hamachi (yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), Tako (octopus) and Tai (snapper). They give very generous cuts of the sashimi which is fresh and smooth. Waiting time for this dish will be longer on crowded days because everyone will be ordering sashimi (which is the main point of a Japanese buffet after all). Kudos to the tako. I had many slices that were glossily tender and filled with briny sweetness while a few did fall a bit below that.

There’s no way we would pass up the chance to have a simple Chawanmushi. Intensely savory, smooth, custardy, you could pick out the use of a really rich dashi or chicken stock. All the better when it was pouring outside at that time.

Most helpful reviews for Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel)

Irodori - oishi Japanese food

*Pris and I decided to meet for lunch at Irodori Japanese Restaurant, since she mentioned that the Japanese food here was good, and I have yet to try it for myself. Irodori Japanese Restaurant is located at 382 Havelock Road #03-01 Riverview Hotel, Singapore 169629 and the number for reservations is 6737 2002.   The open concept dining area was already filled with diners when we met up before noon. We were seated and served the Cold Tofu starter - with some salted vegetables and Japanese soy sauce, a tantalising appetite-teaser while we browsed the menus to order from this ala carte buffet setting.   Next, the Beef Slices - succulent and tasty, especially with the sweet flavor of onions infused into the flesh and gravy.    And the Lobster with roe - we were only allowed to have one each of this item. For the lobster lovers, this was definitely a favorite with us - springy fresh lobster meat, tinged with natural sweetness and the crunchiness / crinkling bursts of roe atop added a unique texture to the dish.   Moving on, the platter of Sashimi platter that we could not do without. Fresh, succulent and tasty, the tuna, swordfish, snapper and salmon slices were devoured rather quickly with squeezes of lemon and wasabi. We had another platter of this item, especially the Salmon and Swordfish sashimi.   For more detailed information and photos, please do visit: http://thearcticstar.blogspot.sg/2014/03/lunch-at-irodori-riverview-hotel.html

The management of Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel) responded to this review:
11 Apr 2014
Dear ArcticStar, Thank you for dining with us at Irodori Japanese Restaurant. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to know that both of you were satisfied with our food. We will convey your compliments to our chef. We are happy to know that you had an enjoyable dining experience. Looking forward to have you dining with us again soon. Best Regards, The Management Irodori Japanese Restaurant

Language problem as some waitresses are not locals.

Had buffet here 3 times since last year. Place is a bit small & better to reserve before you go. Sashimi (salmon, tai, prawn & tuna) is my favourite though noticed 1st order is quite general, subsequent orders will be lesser. 'Chawanmushi' & Handroll with seaweed wrap tasted good as well.

Quality food for reasonable prices

Overall, the buffet was good with quite a spread to sample. The sashimi was fresh and decently cut. The small servings lets you try almost everything on the menu before getting too stuffed.

Make a reservation to avoid disappointment. We were glad they managed to accomodate our friday booking which included one baby pram and one wheelchair.

It was pretty packed but service was prompt. The service staff were also friendly and polite.

We'll definitely be back again.

A Sweet Place to Be

Food is good, should try. The shop is both clean and tidy. All the staff members there greeted my companions and me with smiles as warm as the pies they serve there. I would thoroughly recommend IRODORI JAPANESE RESTAURANT to anyone with a sweet tooth. I know I'll certainly be returning soon.

20 Jan 2014
Dear fmteo8 Thank you for dining with us and recommending Irodori Japanese Restaurant. We are pleased with your response for our foods and restaurant environment. Do visit us soon again! Warmest Regards The Management Irodori Japanese Restaurant

Shocking service

I had my first visit to this Japanese restaurant after reading that there were a wide variety of food items to select from and the place being relatively spacious compared to IKoi. But that is the end to how much this restaurant can offer. During the visit. I ordered a serving of sashimi moriwase. The sashimi slices were not cut properly with the ends still stuck together. Among the variety of sashimi slices, I noted that the tuna and yellowtail were not fresh and had a weird aftertaste so I stopped eating them. When the service crew was clearing my empty plates, I informed him to clear the plate of remaining sashimi as they were not fresh. He then told me he had to check if it was possible to clear it. He then got a lady whom I believe is the manager on duty to speak to me. The first thing the manager told me was " If you do not eat the sashimi, I will have to charge you for food wastage.". She then went on to explain that they never ever had customers complaining about quality of their sashimi and the fishes are flown in daily. In the first place, I had not wanted to kick up a big fuss so I did not ask for a replacement. Yet when I explained my part, she told me she doesn't believe me. I replied " Can you please try a slice first before saying anything?" Her reply to me literally made my jaw dropped -- " I am going to let our chef try the sashimi. If it is confirmed that they are fresh, I will have to bring them back for you to finish up or else I have to charge you accordingly ".

My thoughts: When people visit a restaurant, they would expect the food to be fresh. If the customer said it isn't fresh, the right way the manager should adopt to handle the situation is to apologise and offer a replacement if this is within the company's policy. It should NEVER be a case of challenging your customers or FORCING them to finish up what is deemed unfresh. Honestly, I do not mind incurring food wastage charges instead of risking a tummyache over the long weekend.

14 Aug 2013
Dear simjialing Thank you for dining with us and we apologise for your experience. Please allow us to look into this issue and we will deal with our staff accordingly as service standards come first. Yours Sincerely Irodori Japanese Restaurant