Back to Irodori Japanese Restaurant#03-01, River View Hotel, 382...

chawanmushi3 votes
Ala Carte3 votes
Live Band3 votes
Relaxed3 votes
View/Scenery3 votes

15% Discount during lunch for ala carte buffet and ala carte only for selected cards*. Other deals are available, find out more

simjialing
 • 10 Aug 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I had my first visit to this Japanese restaurant after reading that there were a wide variety of food items to select from and the place being relatively spacious compared to IKoi. But that is the end to how much this restaurant can offer. During the visit. I ordered a serving of sashimi moriwase. The sashimi slices were not cut properly with the ends still stuck together. Among the variety of sashimi slices, I noted that the tuna and yellowtail were not fresh and had a weird aftertaste so I stopped eating them. When the service crew was clearing my empty plates, I informed him to clear the plate of remaining sashimi as they were not fresh. He then told me he had to check if it was possible to clear it. He then got a lady whom I believe is the manager on duty to speak to me. The first thing the manager told me was " If you do not eat the sashimi, I will have to charge you for food wastage.". She then went on to explain that they never ever had customers complaining about quality of their sashimi and the fishes are flown in daily. In the first place, I had not wanted to kick up a big fuss so I did not ask for a replacement. Yet when I explained my part, she told me she doesn't believe me. I replied " Can you please try a slice first before saying anything?" Her reply to me literally made my jaw dropped -- " I am going to let our chef try the sashimi. If it is confirmed that they are fresh, I will have to bring them back for you to finish up or else I have to charge you accordingly ".
My thoughts: When people visit a restaurant, they would expect the food to be fresh. If the customer said it isn't fresh, the right way the manager should adopt to handle the situation is to apologise and offer a replacement if this is within the company's policy. It should NEVER be a case of challenging your customers or FORCING them to finish up what is deemed unfresh. Honestly, I do not mind incurring food wastage charges instead of risking a tummyache over the long weekend.

Dear simjialing

Thank you for dining with us and we apologise for your experience. Please allow us to look into this issue and we will deal with our staff accordingly as service standards come first.

14 August 2013

candy girl
 • 31 Jul 2013 155 reviews 3 followers
Overall
For the full post visit toseetofeeltoeat.

The selection at Irodori was definitely more extensive than that in Ikoi. They have a wider spread of food items and more variety for selection.

The dobin mushi at Irodori was really awesome! We had numerous pots and the fantastic thing about Irodori is that the Dobin Mushi here is free flow! In comparison, Ikoi's Dobin Mushi was a complimentary dish so each couple only had a pot to themselves.

Salmon Sashimi. This was our first order and it was splendid. Thick juicy and very fresh. The cuts were good and the sashimi was really sweet. However, our second order of salmon sashimi was disappointing. The cuts were quite poor and the sashimi slices were still attached to each other at the end because the sashimi was not cleanly cut.

The king prawns were complimentary and was nice! Fresh, well-grilled and very juicy.

The tempura was decent. It was not completely mind-blowing but it was not pathetic either. The batter was good and the tempura was crispy.

Buta enoki which refers to pork wrapped around a bunch of golden mushrooms. This dish was fabulous. I love the crunchy golden mushrooms within a layer of grilled juicy meat.

Mushrooms fried in butter and bacon cocktail. The mushrooms fried in butter consisted of a large portion of golden mushrooms and very little shitake mushrooms. The butter sauce was not too oily nor greasy which was a plus.

Speaking of wrong orders, Irodori got our orders mixed up a couple of times. Our first batch of orders came quickly and accurately without a glitch and we received all that we ordered. However, our second batch of orders became a bit of a problem. We received 4 chawanmushi instead of 2, our orders went missing, and after waiting for a really long time, some of our orders from the second batch simply refused to materialize. So we called for the bill and left.

Between Ikoi and Irodori, I like the wider selection of food in Irodori but I enjoy Ikoi's consistency and ability to deliver. Irodori seemed unable to handle a large crowd and when the room started to fill up, our orders started to get messed up too.

Must tries: Grilled prawns with mentaiko

Dear candy girl

Thank you for dining with us and appreciate your acknowledgement on the varieties. We are glad that you enjoyed the Dobin Mushi, King Prawns and etc. However, we apologize for the inconsistency in service. Looking forward to serve you better again soon.

5 August 2013

05 August 2013

Lele Chan
 • 27 Jul 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
(1) The service is very, very bad. Staff is rude and unfriendly, made us feel quite uncomfortable eating there, esp when they love to stare at you and whisper among each other.

(2) The spread of the buffet is TERRIBLE. Menu is very limited: got fried radish, fried carrot, fried cucumber etc under their fried menu (i am NOT kidding). No drinks, No dessert, No prawns. The only nice thing on their menu is the salmon sashimi (good!) Basically a lot of cheap fried food and a lot of rice (sushi) but the sushi selection also v limited.

(3) Not cheap! For their pathetic menu, I paid $80+ for 2. I'd rather go to any other Jap buffet. We didn't eat full even (first time for a buffet) and we left feeling very disappointed. We were given discount vouchers for next visit but we won't return. I think I might have thrown away the vouchers even.

(4) By the way the grilled prawns with mentaiki is a SCAM! We tried to order and the staff said it's complimentary only. So what, must beg the chefs then can get?! TOO MUCH RIGHT.

Must tries: Sashimi

Dear Lele Chan

I must admit that we were very surprised to read your review as Irodori Japanese Restaurant has been around for five years now and we have been one of the most popular Japanese restaurants around town all these years. However, I do respect that we each have our own opinions and I will respect your dislike of our restaurant. However, I just would like to clarify some of your points. Firstly, we have more than one hundred over items plus additional complimentary dishes, which makes us one of the restaurants with a large spread and hence we have always built our brand name as a place that is very value for money. Given the rising food costs,we believe that our prices are very reasonable. Secondly the complimentary item is available for all tables, and it is something that we give to everyone. I hope this clarifies your concerns.

2 August 2013