Reviews for Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel) (彩日本料理)

Address: #03-01, River View Hotel, 382 Havelock Road, 17955

Book a Table

Book NowFree, instantly confirmed.

14 Mar 2013

SMU Gourmet Club

For the full review with photos, visit :

Irodori is a simple and chic-looking Japanese restaurant that promises good food at decent prices. Expect quality food – to be sure, we are excluding the leagues of Shinji and Aoki – from their a la carte buffet menu of Japanese cuisine mainstays. Conveniently located at Havelock Road, it is only a short journey to travel from school if you have cravings to satisfy.

We started with the complimentary Ebi Mentai Mayo (grilled tiger prawn). A pity this dish cannot be ordered again because it was one of the more noteworthy dishes, grilled to goodness. For a few fleeting moments of eating this, I had the sudden thought that mayo should used everywhere.

The buffet menu has a wide variety of choices and some of the dishes you have to order include the Sashimi Moriawase. The beautifully plated sashimi includes  a mixture ofShake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Hamachi (yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), Tako (octopus) and Tai (snapper). They give very generous cuts of the sashimi which is fresh and smooth. Waiting time for this dish will be longer on crowded days because everyone will be ordering sashimi (which is the main point of a Japanese buffet after all). Kudos to the tako. I had many slices that were glossily tender and filled with briny sweetness while a few did fall a bit below that.

There’s no way we would pass up the chance to have a simple Chawanmushi. Intensely savory, smooth, custardy, you could pick out the use of a really rich dashi or chicken stock. All the better when it was pouring outside at that time.

More reviews of Irodori Japanese Restaurant

Maybe, maybe not.

For the full post visit toseetofeeltoeat.

The selection at Irodori was definitely more extensive than that in Ikoi. They have a wider spread of food items and more variety for selection.

The dobin mushi at Irodori was really awesome! We had numerous pots and the fantastic thing about Irodori is that the Dobin Mushi here is free flow! In comparison, Ikoi's Dobin Mushi was a complimentary dish so each couple only had a pot to themselves.

Salmon Sashimi. This was our first order and it was splendid. Thick juicy and very fresh. The cuts were good and the sashimi was really sweet. However, our second order of salmon sashimi was disappointing. The cuts were quite poor and the sashimi slices were still attached to each other at the end because the sashimi was not cleanly cut.

The king prawns were complimentary and was nice! Fresh, well-grilled and very juicy.

The tempura was decent. It was not completely mind-blowing but it was not pathetic either. The batter was good and the tempura was crispy.

Buta enoki which refers to pork wrapped around a bunch of golden mushrooms. This dish was fabulous. I love the crunchy golden mushrooms within a layer of grilled juicy meat.

Mushrooms fried in butter and bacon cocktail. The mushrooms fried in butter consisted of a large portion of golden mushrooms and very little shitake mushrooms. The butter sauce was not too oily nor greasy which was a plus.

Speaking of wrong orders, Irodori got our orders mixed up a couple of times. Our first batch of orders came quickly and accurately without a glitch and we received all that we ordered. However, our second batch of orders became a bit of a problem. We received 4 chawanmushi instead of 2, our orders went missing, and after waiting for a really long time, some of our orders from the second batch simply refused to materialize. So we called for the bill and left.

Between Ikoi and Irodori, I like the wider selection of food in Irodori but I enjoy Ikoi's consistency and ability to deliver. Irodori seemed unable to handle a large crowd and when the room started to fill up, our orders started to get messed up too.

Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 05 Aug 2013
Dear candy girl Thank you for dining with us and appreciate your acknowledgement on the varieties. We are glad that you enjoyed the Dobin Mushi, King Prawns and etc. However, we apologize for the inconsistency in service. Looking forward to serve you better again soon. Yours Sincerely Irodori Japanese Restaurant 5 August 2013

one of the WORST buffets ever!

(1) The service is very, very bad. Staff is rude and unfriendly, made us feel quite uncomfortable eating there, esp when they love to stare at you and whisper among each other.

(2) The spread of the buffet is TERRIBLE. Menu is very limited: got fried radish, fried carrot, fried cucumber etc under their fried menu (i am NOT kidding). No drinks, No dessert, No prawns. The only nice thing on their menu is the salmon sashimi (good!) Basically a lot of cheap fried food and a lot of rice (sushi) but the sushi selection also v limited.

(3) Not cheap! For their pathetic menu, I paid $80+ for 2. I'd rather go to any other Jap buffet. We didn't eat full even (first time for a buffet) and we left feeling very disappointed. We were given discount vouchers for next visit but we won't return. I think I might have thrown away the vouchers even.

(4) By the way the grilled prawns with mentaiki is a SCAM! We tried to order and the staff said it's complimentary only. So what, must beg the chefs then can get?! TOO MUCH RIGHT.

Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 02 Aug 2013
Dear Lele Chan I must admit that we were very surprised to read your review as Irodori Japanese Restaurant has been around for five years now and we have been one of the most popular Japanese restaurants around town all these years. However, I do respect that we each have our own opinions and I will respect your dislike of our restaurant. However, I just would like to clarify some of your points. Firstly, we have more than one hundred over items plus additional complimentary dishes, which makes us one of the restaurants with a large spread and hence we have always built our brand name as a place that is very value for money. Given the rising food costs,we believe that our prices are very reasonable. Secondly the complimentary item is available for all tables, and it is something that we give to everyone. I hope this clarifies your concerns. Yours Sincerely Irodori Japanese Restaurant 2 August 2013

Terrible Service

Celebrated my birthday with friends as I am Japanese Food lover.
This is ala carte Japanese Buffet, no details of the food, no picture, only have the name of the food.
Still can accept, HOWEVER, the staffs here are terrible service with black face... Are we owing them money or what??!! We were not even asking questions, they showed their attitude when we ordered food... This is ala carte buffet! We had no choice, need to order food what!
But, these are only applied to the China Staffs, as there is one auntie (sound like local or Malaysian) with shining smile and patient explaination on the food.
We did not know what we ate, as they "throw" the plates to our table with mumbling or not even mentioned anything.
The food, no comment, not very good but not bad also...
The Sashimi, not the best that I ever had for the similar price.
Seating are clouded. I felt that 3 of us are sharing table with the other 4 customers... As the distance between the tables are very close.

After we paid, we got discount as we had the OCBC card, and they gave us discount vouchers. Since we DO NOT want to come back anymore, and definately not recommend our friends, we left the vouchers on the table.
Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 23 Jul 2013
Dear Crystal, Thank you for choosing to dine at Irodori Japanese Restaurant. We are sorry that you had a poor experience with us. Our service may be a little slow during busy periods but that is certainly no reason to not have a smile on our face. I will use your feedback to remind our staff of the importance of good service. We hope that you will give us another chance. Yours Sincerely, The Management Team

Unhappy Visit of All Visited Previously

Went to the restaurant and was surprised that reservation was not made at all and was assigned to counter seats that was later changed to the normal seating with a sulky expression of the staff. It seems that the staff do not really believe in the reservation made from us, serving of the food was kind of so so as compared to the previous we had.
Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 26 Jun 2013
Dear Pink Lurver, I am sorry to hear about your negative experience at Irodori Japanese Restaurant. What pains me more is that you are a regular customer with us. We take your feedback seriously and will remind our staff to be more courteous when dealing with our customers as we value your patronage. Thank you for your feedback once again and we hope that you would give us another chance. Yours Sincerely, The Management Team