Reviews for Irodori Japanese Restaurant (River View Hotel) (彩日本料理)

3.2

AsianJapanese
Address: #03-01, River View Hotel, 382 Havelock Road, 17955

14 Mar 2013

SMU Gourmet Club

For the full review with photos, visit :http://www.smugourmetclub.com/articles/irodori-riverview-hotel/

Irodori is a simple and chic-looking Japanese restaurant that promises good food at decent prices. Expect quality food – to be sure, we are excluding the leagues of Shinji and Aoki – from their a la carte buffet menu of Japanese cuisine mainstays. Conveniently located at Havelock Road, it is only a short journey to travel from school if you have cravings to satisfy.

We started with the complimentary Ebi Mentai Mayo (grilled tiger prawn). A pity this dish cannot be ordered again because it was one of the more noteworthy dishes, grilled to goodness. For a few fleeting moments of eating this, I had the sudden thought that mayo should used everywhere.

The buffet menu has a wide variety of choices and some of the dishes you have to order include the Sashimi Moriawase. The beautifully plated sashimi includes  a mixture ofShake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Hamachi (yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), Tako (octopus) and Tai (snapper). They give very generous cuts of the sashimi which is fresh and smooth. Waiting time for this dish will be longer on crowded days because everyone will be ordering sashimi (which is the main point of a Japanese buffet after all). Kudos to the tako. I had many slices that were glossily tender and filled with briny sweetness while a few did fall a bit below that.

There’s no way we would pass up the chance to have a simple Chawanmushi. Intensely savory, smooth, custardy, you could pick out the use of a really rich dashi or chicken stock. All the better when it was pouring outside at that time.

More reviews of Irodori Japanese Restaurant

immaculate dining experience. shiok to the max

After dining at ikoi for close to ten years, we've decided to try out irodori. Both Restaurants have similar buffet menus. Irodori does offer a wider range of dishes. I'm an ardent fan of Japanese cuisine and have even worked in a Japanese restaurant. This said, I have high expectations of Japanese cuisine. We ordered sashimi first and it arrived, beautifully plated. Flavor wise, it has a clean taste to it. Judging the complimentary dishes, I admit that ikoi has a better and more unique salmon complimentary dish. Irodori offers grilled prawns, salmon head which were seasoned to perfection. My first time dining there was during lunchtime and the restaurant was not very busy. Hence the service was swift and we were extremely satisfied And delighted. However, the 2nd time we went there was during a busy dinner service. They actually forgot our complimentary dishes despite reminding them a few times! In the end, it never came. Overall, I love this restaurant and will definitely return again. Additionally, I will strongly recommend everyone, especially Japanese food and buffet lovers, to go and try out! Order like no tomorrow!
Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 08 May 2013
Dear Singapore Gordon Ramsay, Thank you for your review. We have a strong history of offering a good value for money spread and I am glad that you enjoyed our spread of dishes. I am very sorry to hear that you did not receive your complimentary items. I hope you give us a chance to make it up to you on your next visit. Thank you once again for your feedback and all of us at the restaurant look forward to serving you again soon. Yours Sincerely, Philip Chan

immaculate dining experience. shiok to the max

Misplaced orders

Was here yesterday evening with a friend for the buffet dinner.

Unfortunately, am unable to comment on the food as they misplaced 95% of our order. After waiting for almost an hour, all that we received were 2 plates of sushi (2 pcs each) and 2 bowls of chawanmushi.

Making matters worse was the fact that the patrons at the tables around us arrived later than we did, yet had food promptly and continually delivered to them.

Gave up and asked them to cancel everything.

To their credit, the Chinese man behind the cash register (I suppose he was the manager) did make an attempt to rush the kitchen for our orders, but we were hardly in the mood to continue with dinner at that point. And he was decent enough to waive the bill totally without any issue when he saw that we had no intention of staying on.

Perhaps will return to try my luck again another time...
Management response from Irodori Japanese Restaurant, published 18 Apr 2013
Dear Nicrodamus, We are sorry to hear about your negative experience at our restaurant. Whilst it was a very busy day, that is certainly no excuse for the mistake that was made in your orders and we apologise for it once again. We hope that you would give us another chance again soon to make up for the poor experience. Yours Sincerely, Philip Chan

Busy restaurant

We were a large group which occupied 3 tables on a busy Saturday evening. The restaurant was full hence service took awhile. However, the waitresses were patient and polite. They continuously served us green tea.The food came at the same time and in generous portions. We ordered the ala-carte buffet which had a big variety. The nice thing is you could order portion for one hence no need to waste the food if the rest didn't want the same things. For the price, the place is worth it though the sashimi quality is not the best, it is still worth it. I like the grilled prawns best which they give you only one serving. I also like their handroll which is quite fresh.