Back to Irodori Japanese Restaurant#03-01, River View Hotel, 382...

Sashimi16 votes

Wine Lists4 votes
Live Band3 votes
Relaxed3 votes
View/Scenery3 votes

15% Discount during lunch for ala carte buffet and ala carte only for selected cards*. Other deals are available, find out more

smugourmetclub
 • 14 Mar 2013 54 reviews 2 followers
Overall
For the full review with photos, visit :http://www.smugourmetclub.com/articles/irodori-riverview-hotel/

Irodori is a simple and chic-looking Japanese restaurant that promises good food at decent prices. Expect quality food – to be sure, we are excluding the leagues of Shinji and Aoki – from their a la carte buffet menu of Japanese cuisine mainstays. Conveniently located at Havelock Road, it is only a short journey to travel from school if you have cravings to satisfy.

We started with the complimentary Ebi Mentai Mayo (grilled tiger prawn). A pity this dish cannot be ordered again because it was one of the more noteworthy dishes, grilled to goodness. For a few fleeting moments of eating this, I had the sudden thought that mayo should used everywhere.

The buffet menu has a wide variety of choices and some of the dishes you have to order include the Sashimi Moriawase. The beautifully plated sashimi includes  a mixture ofShake (salmon), Maguro (tuna), Hamachi (yellow tail), Mekajiki (sword fish), Tako (octopus) and Tai (snapper). They give very generous cuts of the sashimi which is fresh and smooth. Waiting time for this dish will be longer on crowded days because everyone will be ordering sashimi (which is the main point of a Japanese buffet after all). Kudos to the tako. I had many slices that were glossily tender and filled with briny sweetness while a few did fall a bit below that.

There’s no way we would pass up the chance to have a simple Chawanmushi. Intensely savory, smooth, custardy, you could pick out the use of a really rich dashi or chicken stock. All the better when it was pouring outside at that time.

Ala Carte, Buffet, Large Groups, Lunch

Ritchie Rich
 • 12 Jan 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
For 1st order food is served almost immediately, but subsequent orders are slowed down, probably due to the crowd, and priority given to new guests. Sashimi is fresh and portion is generous.

Velerie Yeong
 • 24 Dec 2012 6 reviews 15 followers
Overall
Booked this place for my birthday, 630pm reservation.

I have to give credit for the ambience and the Xmas decoration, I felt welcomed in there and happy with all those decoration. Place was really really small, the 2 of us were made to sit with 6 strangers, not that we really minded, so our row had 3 groups of people in 4 square tables. 2 couples at both ends, a group of friends (4 people) in the middle.

Appetizer were ready set on the table, edemame peas and green tea tofu. Then came the complimentary prawns which I personally think tasted not bad, prawn with mentai(I think?) mayo, one each per person. 7.5/10

Then we ordered the mixed sashimi platter. Tasted okay for Singaporean standards just because we don't really have salmon in here. Slices were thick and I had my yellowtail and salmon sashimi and I was happy. One thing though, they had to take 20 mins to cut fish, really? 7/10

Chawanmushi was okay, I could taste the dashi stock in it although I prefer more in it. 6.5/10

I did not try everything in the menu as service is too slow. By 748pm, out of the 20 items ordered only 7 items came. 1 hr+ and 7 items? Really? And they were like 1 bite items. Feel that their yakitori items need more sauce as I cannot taste the sauce at all.

Left at around 9+ yet all of our orders didn't come. End of the day didnt even get to try at least 1/4 of the menu which was initially planned. V disappointed although staff was friendly. I was full from the tea as we had nothing to do during the wait. This place do not deserve such high reviews as food was so-so only.

Large Groups, Night Out