Istanbul Gourmet has closed.

(Closed) Istanbul Gourmet (Eastpoint Mall)

Summary

Chicken Roll, laksa, Chicken Kebab with yellow fragrant rice, Laksa & Doner Kebah, Chicken Salad, Chix roll, Saute Beef, Something you haven't tried before, kebab View all
After Work, Lunch, Brunch, Children/Family, Dinner, Hidden Find, Vibrant/Noisy View all

Really Good Food in the East!

Me and my makan gang were interested to find real good food in the east and was recommended by one of our friends staying in the east.

I must saw we were totally impressed by the food that was served to us by the chef. First we had the stuffed chicken roll with baked potatoes. Totally heavenly man... the chicken was marinated with the right mix of herbs.. crispy on the outside and tender inside... the brown sauce that was served on it.. hmmmm a dish we cannot forget!

Next up.. Chicken donar kebab.. It was a bit different from the usual middle eastern fare.. but i guess its adopted to Singapore taste. the bread was tender and the chicken on it was roasted perfectly with a bit of the char taste.. It was tender as well =).. Pretty good combination, I actually ta- paoed one back haha

We finished the round with Istanbul Gourmet Laksa. Surprised to hear that Istanbul actually has laksa. Upon talking to the chef, its actually Nyonya Laksa that is cooked traditionally. Very sedap... the gravy was not overly thin like singapore laksa. instead it was a bit creamy and has the scent of multiple local herbs in it. One of the best laksa we have tasted so far!

Would recommend more friends to come by but the chef mentioned that they will be moving out temporarily while the mall is being renovated for a year ++. Neverthe less they have another branch in Joo Chiat. To Istanbul Gourmet Joo Chiat on the next trip!!

Most helpful reviews for (Closed) Istanbul Gourmet (Eastpoint Mall)

An utter disappointment

I don't usually complain but this one got us bad so I have to warn others.

1) They didn't serve 1 out of the 5 dishes we ordered and insisted we didn't place the order even after checking the receipt from their end because we weren't given any. Having paid much, we asked to check the receipt and asked her where is the pita bread w/ mutton and cheese? Waitress insisted it was already served but it was not. Finally she relented and gave us a what looks like burger set.

2)Pita bread in this eatery is plainly burger bread and this horrified me. I confronted the waitress (while the chef stares) and they claimed that is what they usually serve for "pita bread". We saw stacks of burgers when we first walked in but realized there is no burger set in their menu so we were wondering why they were there.

3) Chicken kebab w/ rice turned out to be minced meat (bak chor)

The chef may be good in cooking but he surely doesn't seem to know how to run his business or take pride in his dishes.

An utter disappointment

My parents patronized this eatery a few weeks ago and were all praises for the foreign cuisine by the Asian looking chef. We went again yesterday but we were very disappointed by their poor service so I'd like to share my comments.

2) We saw stacks of burgers when we first walked in but realized there is no burger set in their menu so we were wondering why they were there. Then we were horrified when our "Pita bread with mutton & cheese" turned out to be different from the picture - Plain burger bread with mutton and cheese.

I asked if they have run out of pita bread...Cashier says this is what you ordered...So I asked..again..You mean this is pita bread? While everyone (including the chef ) stared, cashier said "Yes, this is what we have always been serving for this dish" Either that part of Turkey where the chef stayed at served pita bread very differently or the chef is just cheating his staff, his customers and himself.

3) Chicken kebab w/ rice turned out to be minced meat (bak chor)...I'm no food expert but minced meat kebab is not acceptable.

No doubt the food taste good but the boss surely doesn't seem to know how to run his business or take pride in his dishes as a top-notch chef. If we were told "burger w/ mutton & cheese" , “Minced chicken kebab w/ rice" in the menu, we would have walked out of the eatery as happy customers.

Kitchen Nightmare Experience!

Kitchen nightmare experience. 0/10! Believe me, this is the first time I rate 0/10!

The staff are all decked in professional chef's outfit. Display newspaper 'reviews' from 1998! Complete pretentious food.

My mutton doner kebab is so depressing. Minced meat which don't even stick together sprinkled with unmelted mozzarella cheese (the cheap ones you get from the supermarket), sandwiched between normal cheap burger bun. Worst food ever. McDonald's is an 8/10 in comparison to this bullshit.

This is such an insult to Middle Eastern cuisine. This is even more insulting to the animals which have died for this kinda crappy food. They should be ashamed of themselves and close shop!

Kitchen Nightmare Experience!

Kitchen nightmare experience. Istanbul Gourmet my a**. Believe me, this is the first time I rate 0/10!

Link from their website:

"DONAR KEBAB :Healthy Pita Bread with choice of either Kebab Chicken or Mutton top with cheese,onions,lettuce,tomato and Istanbul gourmet salad dressing"

Healthy pita bread = normal burger bun?

ISTANBUL GOURMET DRESSING = Sweet chilli sauce from supermarket (Maggi kind?)

This is false advertising!!!!