On days that I feel like having a variety of local foods, ample elbow room and air conditioned comfort, I'd head to Ibis for some Singaporean-styled Tapas at It's All About TASTE.
My favourites? The Hokkien Mee, Sweet and Sour Prawns and the Roast Duck - all well executed and served in reasonably generous portions. And while it is true that you could probably get the same dishes in full portions should you visit a hawker centre - you'd not enjoy all the little comforts that dining in a hotel offers, and you'd probably waste a lot of food from not being able to finish 3 full portions.
To sweeten the deal, there's an ongoing 1-for-1 UOB promo that allows you to have two 3-dish combos for the price of 1. And yes, you may each choose 3 different dishes. (:
I've stopped over here for drinks and meetings with clients many times but seldom for a meal.
Food is great too $17 for a choice of 3 local dishes. Fried rice, Pan fried cod, fish and chips between 10 and 15 per plate.
Dishes were well plated, tasty and reasonable in price.
I always thought hawker food in hotels are a rip off and thus I have low expectations for the food especially when there was some hiccups before we finally get to start our meal.
I had a Chicken Rice which was delicious, the portions may meagre but the chicken was tender and the rice was just right. The dark sauce was very sweet though.
The Roast Duck with Plum Sauce is decent too, the sauce was fruity sweet and complements the tender slices of roast duck.
The star of the meal is the Black Pepper Crab with its addictive black pepper sauce.
Had a complementary night stay at Ibis and didn't want to venture far for dinner. So we thought we'll give TASTE a chance. With our girls, we ordered 2 sets of 5 dishes each and a hamburger meal. For 22++ each set, we figured the sampler size will be rather small.
Some of the dishes were almost full-sized portions. And the food arrived very stylo-ly decorated, A for effort. Food wise, not all were great:
1) Char Kuey Tiao - good size and actually quite nice with the see-hum in the mix
2) Hokkien Fried Noodle - a tad dry for my liking but also not too bad on taste. I've had worse elsewhere.
3) Satay - only 3 lonely sticks! So poor things I thought!! I honestly thought this dish could have 5 or 6 sticks of Satay. The serving of the Satay gravy in a shooter glass was quite chio and classy
4) Beef Horfun - tender beef slices and Kuey tiao in sauce. Hubby thought they kinda overdid the wok-hei thingie, to the point he thought there were a burnt taste. :P
5) Chicken Rice - this came served in a bamboo tiffin carrier, super cute lor! Rice I thought was a little hard but fragrant enough. Chicken was tender and good.
6) Coffee Ribs - I didn't try this but hubby said it's not bad at all
7) Nasi Lemak - Generous serving of rice and chicken wing and ikan bilis and a cute egg...in the form of a quail's egg!!
8) Stir-fried Vege - this dish is very forgettable
9) Fried Carrot Cake - Good amount of eggs and you can actually see shreds of red carrot in the turnip cake bits. Good taste too.
To be fair, there isn't a single dish that I will come back specially for but if I have friends whom I want to introduce local cuisine in a nice aircon place, I'll think of this place. :)