Reviews for JAAN

4.2

EuropeanFrenchWestern

Fantastic view with amazing food

Read more about Jaan on my blog www.ms-skinnyfat.com   Our meal is designed by Chef de Cuisin Julien Royer, a young chef who brings with him the unique taste of Cantal, Auvergne, France. Growing up on a farm developed in him a great appreciation of pure and organic ingredients and 'simplicity' (so he says) in his dishes. Seasonal ingredients are used to ensure freshness and thus the flavors will be different each quarter you visit. Here is our 7 course Winter Prestige Menu.   We had 3 Amuse Bouche before the start of our 7 course meal. Sheesh!My stomach was starting to fill up a little by the time our first course came. Wild Caught Langoustine and Avocado Canneloni, served on top of a light crustacean jelly, ikura and Oscietra Caviar. This is a light seafood dish which is served cold. I like how the jelly is bisque infused. Needless to say i polished every bit of this.    2nd Course is one of my favorite dishes from Jaan. One of their signatures too. The 55' Rosemary Smoked Organic Egg with smoked rattes, autumn mushrooms and chorizo iberico. Perfect breakfast food that i would eat any time of the day. The smoked rosemary reminded me of our previous experience at Mikuni (read it here).   Many dishes in between...   Desserts was the 4th Generation of Choconuts, a staple at Jaan but it is currently on its version 4. Sable Breton, textures of white, milk and dark chocolate in biscuit, crumble, aerated, creamed, meringue, flakes and ice cream form. There was also a surprise with those crackly pops in the chocolate bits.   There are about 3 menus to pick from and the minimum is a 5 course for dinner. I kinda regretted not doing that as there is some wagyu or beef short ribs and you know how i love my red meats (not pigeon). So yea. Jaan, great place for the special occasion.
• 02 May 2015 • 14 reviews • 0 follower

Whew, what an experience (and mind-blowing mushroom tea)!

Overall
Here's an in-depth review so prepare to be accosted with colours and plating that looks like art. I had the 7-course Menu Prestige degustation - Jaan has some of the best appetizers including a mind-blowing mushroom soup, but the mains can be a hit (hint: pigeon) or miss. Nonetheless, Jaan is one of those special places you have to try at least once - and I mean, really, check out That view!

Number #11 on San Pellegrino’s list of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants in 2015 and a strong player in the list over several years, I’ll readily admit I was excited for this meal. Jaan, helmed by Chef de cuisine Julien Royer, presents modern french cuisine with tantalising visuals, often calling for the hostesses to add the final touch to the dish right before your very eyes.
• 02 Apr 2015 • 67 reviews • 3 followers

One of my FAVORITE restaurants in town

Overall

Everything was amazing as before, had 5 courses deguestion lunch but got far more than that. Love the rosemary eggs, mushroon tea, hummus, trout, amada and dessert. The view was breathetaking!
• 04 Feb 2015 • 221 reviews • 19 followers

Stunning good with a stunning view

Overall
Our lunch started with a trio of Amuse Bouche. There was the Crackers with Shaved CheeseCrackers with Humus Dip and Chicken Samosa. When these were served, I can hear myself screaming inside how beautiful they were presented. It was like an art. The service staff will also take their time to introduce each dish which I really appreciated.

Interestingly served in a tea presser at table side, the Cepes Mushroom Tea was comforting and filled with the earthy mushroom flavours.

My partner's lunch menu started with the Trumbetta Zucchini served with fromage blanc and vandouvan spices. A new subtle combination of flavours to kick start the lunch.

My lunch menu began with the Ocean which is a seafood composition. I have to say this really taken me back with the culinary skills involved to present the different components on the plate. The ocean of seafood whetted up not only the appetite but the whole dining experience. I was already eagerly anticipating for the next master piece to be served.

Moving on to the second course, my partner has the Autumn Garden which s a platter of different vegetables and hazelnuts. The beautiful garden came with a thoughtful touch of different textures which is very delectable.

This is probably the most eagerly waited dish I was looking forward to try after seeing so many photos of it on social media. The 55min 60degC Rosemary Smoked Organic Egg definitely made a grand entry with its dry ice effect. It was then poured into another bowl of smoked rattes, chorizo iberico and buckwheat. The heavenly combination of textures and flavours plus the aromatic from the smoked rosemary underneath the bowl was an enjoyment of sight, taste and smell.

Read the full article and photos at www.sgfoodonfoot.com