Review for JAAN

4.2

EuropeanFrenchWestern
28 Apr 2014

Something Fishy

There is a great promotion via Amex that gives 1 for 1 dining for couples at the restaurants in The Fairmont and Swiss Hotel. Except the promotion is a Red Herring.

I called Jaan to book for my Wedding anniversary and was told that the annual quota of Amex seats is already used up. Now if it were November I could understand, but it is only April, so something is fishy.

Equally, the hotel staff were disinterested that the booking was from a regular guest of their restaurants, that it was a once in a lifetime special occasion and on a weekday. Their best proposal was to go and eat somewhere else or free valet parking!

So - take with a pinch of salt what you read in the promotional material from Amex and/or the SwissHotel / The Fairmont.

More reviews of JAAN

Overall

Fantastic view with amazing food

Read more about Jaan on my blog www.ms-skinnyfat.com   Our meal is designed by Chef de Cuisin Julien Royer, a young chef who brings with him the unique taste of Cantal, Auvergne, France. Growing up on a farm developed in him a great appreciation of pure and organic ingredients and 'simplicity' (so he says) in his dishes. Seasonal ingredients are used to ensure freshness and thus the flavors will be different each quarter you visit. Here is our 7 course Winter Prestige Menu.   We had 3 Amuse Bouche before the start of our 7 course meal. Sheesh!My stomach was starting to fill up a little by the time our first course came. Wild Caught Langoustine and Avocado Canneloni, served on top of a light crustacean jelly, ikura and Oscietra Caviar. This is a light seafood dish which is served cold. I like how the jelly is bisque infused. Needless to say i polished every bit of this.    2nd Course is one of my favorite dishes from Jaan. One of their signatures too. The 55' Rosemary Smoked Organic Egg with smoked rattes, autumn mushrooms and chorizo iberico. Perfect breakfast food that i would eat any time of the day. The smoked rosemary reminded me of our previous experience at Mikuni (read it here).   Many dishes in between...   Desserts was the 4th Generation of Choconuts, a staple at Jaan but it is currently on its version 4. Sable Breton, textures of white, milk and dark chocolate in biscuit, crumble, aerated, creamed, meringue, flakes and ice cream form. There was also a surprise with those crackly pops in the chocolate bits.   There are about 3 menus to pick from and the minimum is a 5 course for dinner. I kinda regretted not doing that as there is some wagyu or beef short ribs and you know how i love my red meats (not pigeon). So yea. Jaan, great place for the special occasion.
Overall

Lunch with an amazing view

See the full review of Jaan's 5-course set lunch at: http://www.feleats.blogspot.sg/2015/11/jaan.html

Jaan had always been a little milestone of my foodie journey on this little red dot. When I’m overseas, I’m always willing to splurge on my meals because more often than not, I’ll only be there once. With no such pressure in Singapore, there are just too many restaurants on my to-eat list! Since my boyfriend and I were looking for a restaurant for a celebration, we decided to visit Jaan for its set lunch menu.

Having a meal at a fine dining restaurant comes with the likes of amuse bouche and petit fours that are not listed on the menu. Shortly after placing our order, we were served 3 different canapes.
Wagyu beef tartare wrapped with jamon iberico, fish and chips and foie gras macarons   These bite sized treats were simply a delight with complex flavours and finesse in their creation. Of the 3, I was impressed with Jaan’s rendition of the mini fish and chips that comes in the form of a small ring of crispy fried potato topped with a savoury fish paste that just wows your taste buds.
Mushroom tea  Moving on to our 2nd amuse bouche, the mushroom tea. Such an elegant soup that i’ve never tasted elsewhere. The mushroom tea was served in a french press, extracting a clean and pure tea to be poured over a sabayon of cep, lovage and walnuts. This brought the idea of a soup to a whole new level. The earthy soup had texture that is likened to water, except that it is loaded full of mushroom flavor and finishes off with a fragrant walnut crunch.
Heirloom Tomato   Bits of tomato stuffed in a large tomato, served with burrata, tomato espuma and basil sorbet. The flesh of the tomato was meaty with an abundance of tomato juice as you sink your teeth into it. Burrata on the side proved to be creamy, chewy and was a good complement to the tomato. It was a very refreshing dish that had the burst of basil fragrance from the sorbet against the robust and acidic tasting heirloom tomato.
55’ Rosemary Smoked Organic Egg   This dish clearly exemplifies how Jaan sets out to evoke all your senses during the dining experience. Feast with your eyes at the dreamy display of the 55’ eggs and take in weaves of the smoked rosemary beneath the serving bowl. Cooked for exactly 55 minutes at 64 degrees, the wobbly runny egg is poured into the ratte potato with bits of chorizo iberico. The creamy egg is a wonderful concoction of egg white and egg yolk alongside with the nutty and buttery ratte potatoes.

Supercali-fragilistic-this-is-tres-delicious :)

Came here to celebrate the season with family. I haven't dined here before but chef Kirk Westaway does not disappoint. My favorite part of the 5-course degustation menu is the amuse bouche and appetizer part of the meal. It's like eating a box of macarons. Each hits a high note with distinctive flavors and textures - was like "Wow. YUM!! What was that deliciousness?". I think here's where his youth and creativity shone through, and I am really looking forward to this level of creativity blend in with fresh ingredients and clean flavors, into more signature dishes going forward.

Main courses were cooked to a nice temperature. Dessert was nice and light, figs is an interesting choice and worked really well as a finisher.

The top floor of the Swissotel boasts arguably the best views of the Marina Bay. The window seat at JAAN gives an unobstructed view of the East Coast Parkway on the left, the Singapore Flyer + Supertrees on front, and Marina Bay / Fullerton on the right.

If you're touring Singapore or want to wow your date with ONE special occasion rooftop dinner, yeap. This is it.

JAAN’s New Creations by Chef Kirk Westaway

It’s been about two years since I’ve had dinner at JAAN. And when I heard Chef Julien Royer had left the restaurant, I was curious to find out if his predecessor had what it took to keep it in among the best restaurants in Asia.

We started with this succulent Irish Majestic Oyster with Light Artichoke Foam and Oscietra Caviar. This was an umami explosion of salty sea flavours and that natural burst of briny goodness from the caviar.

Next, the stuffed  Vine-Ripened Tomato with Burrata Artigiana, Basil Sorbet and Tomato Consommé . This was one of my favourite dishes served that day. I’ve always loved the signature vegetable gardens that are semi-works of art at JAAN and this was no exception. The burrata was light so as not to overwhelm the natural sweetness and tartness of the tomatoes. And that basil sorbet brought everything magically together.

After that, we were presented with a  Pumpkin-stuffed Pasta  dish with cheese and topped with a delicious broth. The pasta was cooked well and had a good bite, but there wasn’t anything exceptional in flavour or texture here. Then came a Fish and Chicken dish served with some intricately-fried Chicken Skin Mesh with a side of asparagus. Chef Kirk was aiming for a simple, comforting dish but I found this somewhat forgettable.

One of the highlights at JAAN is their  Hay-Roasted Bresse Pigeon.  Chef Kirk presents this to much  oohs  and  ahhs  at the table and that gorgeous smoky flavour was very tantalising. When served with some hearty mash and a brown sauce, the pigeon leg was tender, juicy and had a subtle sweetness brought out in part by the cooking in hay.

We had some mouthwatering green apple and lemon sorbet as a palate cleanser before we were presented with dessert. This was one decadent, dark and nutty bowl with a hidden surprise. Beautiful textures of meringue, creamy hazelnut ice-cream, dark chocolate foam and some bits of chocolate with popping candy.

Knowing I wasn’t a huge fan of chocolate, Chef Kirk whipped up another surprise he was planning for the next season. This beautiful plate of figs, cinnamon, vanilla and all kinds of sweet, melt-in-your-mouth creamy awesome. I adored this not just because great figs are so hard to come by in Singapore, but because of how harmoniously the flavours came together and left you wanting more.

This meal was truly a testament of how JAAN consistently manages to pick the right people to helm their kitchens. First Andre Chiang, then Julien Royer, and now Kirk Westaway with his slightly heavier, richer style while retaining the essence of JAAN’s style and flavour. Foodies can heave a sigh of relief, one of Singapore’s best restaurants is in young but very capable hands.

-- angelalimaq.com
Overall

Had a fabulous dinner at the Jaan.

Every dish was creatively presented and tasted very good. Food is reasonably priced and value for money. However, the alcoholic drinks were overpriced in my opinion. Will come back soon with my family!