Back to Jai Thai#B1-12, Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station, 11 Orchard Road

hirojtys
 • 09 Jan 2014 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I had visted Jai Thai previously and was pleasantly surprised by their ability to whip up an authentic Thai feast.

Imagine my disappoitnment when I visited their branch in Dhoby Ghaut XChange. I ordered a plate of small Olive Rice, small Mango Salad and for appetisers - a small plate of spring rolls.

When the food came, I was appalled at the portion of food. It was really small and was nothing compared to the Jai Thai at Purvis Street. The olive rice was clumpy and bland. The mango salad was lacking the same taste as in Purvis street, the chilli lacking in zest.

The spring rolls were the worst. They were oily and was apparent that the oil had been reused many times. Look at the photos attached to see what I mean. (I had to use multiple tissue papers to soak up the oil) One of the worst tasting I have ever eaten.

The lack of quality control might just be the failing of Jai Thai.

Not to mention the service:

The waiter who served me was severely lacking in knowledge and went back and forth from the counter to me several times. He told me that the olive rice was plain but clarified it later.

The nerve of them to include service charge.

Please visit the original Jai Thai and not this sorry place sorely lacking in food taste while it rides only on the success of its previous outlet to market its disgusting Thai food.

• The number of tissue papers used to soak up the oil of 5 spring rolls.
  • The number of tissue papers used to soak up the oil of 5 spring rolls.

Hazelleo
 • 12 Nov 2013 69 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Jai Thai menu has broad categories from appertizers, curry, tom yum, seafoods, chicken, vegetables, rice and noodles, drinks and many more. Each individual categories has a list of dishes to choose from. Most of the dishes come with 3 sizes – Small, Medium & Large and price ranging between S$5.00~ S$8.00 with the exception of steamed fish which is slightly higher.

We finally settled with the choice of dishes and waiting for the foods to be served. The serving time is quite fast and efficient. We are quite pleased with the speed of serving.
Mixed Platters @S$14.00 (L) shared by 6 of us. Platter consists of thai spring rolls, fish cakes, deep fried bean curd and prawn cakes. All are nicely fried and not too dry. It goes well with the thai chili sauce and makes a pretty tasty starter.
Pad Thai @S$7.00 (M) was nicely presented. Pad thai was Q enough and it must eat with lots of peanuts, chili flakes and also sugar. This will gives the dish taste of crunchiness and sweetness.
Tom Yam Seafood Clear Soup @S$5.00 (S) was spicy for me but my sister enjoyed it though. It has the seafood sweetness flowing into the soup as well.
Pandan Chicken @S$2.00 per piece. It is one of their signature. Pandan chicken wrapped with a piece of pandan and deep fried chicken. They are quite generous with the chicken piece serving. Totally worth the price paid.
Fried Kang Kong @S$7.00 (M) is a must order dish to go with rice. It will never go wrong when you are having this with rice.
Steamed Tofu with chicken basil @S$6.00(S) served with generous sauce overflowing the steamed tofu. Sweet with a little spicy sauce is all over chicken basil and the soft, bouncy tofu is our favourite dish of the night too. We enjoyed it with our rice as well.
Deep fried Seabass fish with sweet & sour sauce @S$18.00. Don’t expect much of the freshness with the value offer. Nevertheless, when it is deep fried and drenched with sweet & sour sauce, it still tastes decent.

Overall dinner was pocket friendly and shared among 6 of us. The foods are satisfying and we don’t burn our pocket holes at the same time. Location wise is quite convenient and the place was quite spacious. We had a great bonding time together.
For more food reviews: