Back to Jin Shan Lou#L1-05, Marina Bay Sands, 1 Bayfront Avenue

Anniversary3 votes

fatpig
 • 21 Apr 2014 467 reviews 68 followers
Overall
Was itching to try out somewhere new for dim sum instead of the usual favourites thus settled for Jin Shan Restaurant (金山楼) at Marina Bay Sands one late Saturday morning.

Located within the confines of the hotel (not the shopping mall), Jin Shan sat on an elevated platform on the ground floor. Natural sunlight peered through the huge glass panels that lined the side, making for a comfortable and cheery atmosphere. Unfortunately this also meant that some tables were subjected to more sunlight than others.

Abalone Pork Dumpling - We started off with the abalone siew mai, which was a joke, seriously. The siew mai itself was decent without encapsulating too much fatty meat but the abalone had a very raw taste that spoilt the whole dish. Gross.

Jin Shan Signature Rice Rolls - The signature cheong fun was actually a combination of scallop, BBQ pork and deep fried beancurd skin rice rolls. The fillings were decent but the rice rolls were too thick for my liking and lacked the silkiness of good cheong fun.

Steamed Custard Buns - Rich custard oozed out when we broke into the buns but sadly, the custard was just sweet without the saltiness and rough texture of egg yolk which would have made this dish great.

Deep Fried Prawn with Mango - This dish was a little interesting although not exactly in a good way. The prawns and mango bits were

BBQ Combination - I think a good yardstick of any dim sum place is its roasted/BBQ meats (烧腊) and as pretty as our BBQ combination (roasted pork & soya sauce chicken) looked, it didn't quite match up. For starters, even though the roasted pork's skin was crisp, it wasn't evenly roasted (as evident from the different hues of brown on the skin) and a tad overly salty. The soya sauce chicken fared slightly better with tender meat and a spot of sweetness.

Bird's Nest Egg Tart - Flaky but sans the buttery goodness that I would normally associate with tarts. The custard was mildly sweet whilst the strands of birds nest offered a nice gelatin texture to the mix. Decent but no great shakes.

BBQ Pork Puff - One of my favourite dim sum dishes, Jin Shan's rendition of the BBQ pork puff was average at best and nowhere near my personal favourite at Yan Ting. The pastry was too thick and as with the egg tarts, lacked the buttery, oven baked goodness that I personally like. And I could only make out the taste of the pork floss atop as the char siew filling was rather bland.

With a 10% discount, the 4 of us chalked up a bill of about $180, which is quite a bit higher than what I usually pay at Wah Lok. Food quality was average at best and service was definitely below that of a restaurant in a 5 star hotel. Read. Grouchy at times and unhelpful to say the least. The only thing going for the restaurant is its bright, cheery ambience. Will I go back? Definitely not!

See my entire review and pictures here.

Chiwa
 • 06 Mar 2014 18 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Came here for dinner on a Saturday night. The dishes were good. The pumpkin soup is definitely a must-try. Crispy skin roasted chicken was great too. However, the dishes were a tad saltish for me. The pyramid fried rice was quite disappointing though it was a signature dish.

Must tries: 金盅海鮮湯 Seafood Soup Served in Mini Pumpkin

Ala Carte, Birthdays, Children/Family, Dinner

Hoongy !
 • 15 Nov 2013 1824 reviews 252 followers
Overall

Helmed by celebrity Master Chef Huang Qing Biao, this place serves quality Chinese food for the discerning diner.

A good way to start the meal is with a soup, and the seafood soup served in a pumpkin or a sharkfin’s cartilage with abalone soup would do well to warm up the soul. Those who love their beef would do well with the Kobe Beef. I like my beef simple so I usually ask for less sauce to go with it. From the seafood menu try the Golden Sands Fresh Prawn with Salted Egg, or for something lighter, try the Steamed Cod Fillet with Chinese Wine and Egg White. One of my favourite dishes is their braised duck which has a nice firm bite.

Finally, end with their chilled mango sago.

The place also serves a heartwarming teochew supper till 3am in the morning.

Must tries: kobe beef