Reviews for Jin Shan Lou (金山楼)

3.6

AsianCantoneseChineseSichuan

Book a Table

Call our Reservations Hotline

+65 6884 6884

Classy Chinese restaurant

Came here for dinner on a Saturday night. The dishes were good. The pumpkin soup is definitely a must-try. Crispy skin roasted chicken was great too. However, the dishes were a tad saltish for me. The pyramid fried rice was quite disappointing though it was a signature dish.
• 29 Mar 2015 • 15 reviews • 1 follower

There are better restaurant

Overall
Had chosen this restaurant as wifey wanted to go MBS. She was quite excited when she open up the menu and saw that the celeb chef was the one she told me she wanted to have a try. Overall food experience is best to be above average going by the price. The biggest let down was the service staff. They appears like everyone owes them money or owes them a living with their blackest face I ever come across with my dinning experience till date. With the increasing number of good restaurant available in Singapore, they will have to work very hard especially, they are situated in MBS. Sorry pal, I will never come back at least for now
• 21 Apr 2014 • 488 reviews • 68 followers

Extremely disappointing lunch

Overall
Was itching to try out somewhere new for dim sum instead of the usual favourites thus settled for Jin Shan Restaurant (金山楼) at Marina Bay Sands one late Saturday morning.   Located within the confines of the hotel (not the shopping mall), Jin Shan sat on an elevated platform on the ground floor. Natural sunlight peered through the huge glass panels that lined the side, making for a comfortable and cheery atmosphere. Unfortunately this also meant that some tables were subjected to more sunlight than others.    Abalone Pork Dumpling - We started off with the abalone siew mai, which was a joke, seriously. The siew mai itself was decent without encapsulating too much fatty meat but the abalone had a very raw taste that spoilt the whole dish. Gross.    Jin Shan Signature Rice Rolls - The signature cheong fun was actually a combination of scallop, BBQ pork and deep fried beancurd skin rice rolls. The fillings were decent but the rice rolls were too thick for my liking and lacked the silkiness of good cheong fun.     Steamed Custard Buns - Rich custard oozed out when we broke into the buns but sadly, the custard was just sweet without the saltiness and rough texture of egg yolk which would have made this dish great.   Deep Fried Prawn with Mango - This dish was a little interesting although not exactly in a good way. The prawns and mango bits were    BBQ Combination - I think a good yardstick of any dim sum place is its roasted/BBQ meats (烧腊) and as pretty as our BBQ combination (roasted pork & soya sauce chicken) looked, it didn't quite match up. For starters, even though the roasted pork's skin was crisp, it wasn't evenly roasted (as evident from the different hues of brown on the skin) and a tad overly salty. The soya sauce chicken fared slightly better with tender meat and a spot of sweetness.   Bird's Nest Egg Tart - Flaky but sans the buttery goodness that I would normally associate with tarts. The custard was mildly sweet whilst the strands of birds nest offered a nice gelatin texture to the mix. Decent but no great shakes.    BBQ Pork Puff - One of my favourite dim sum dishes, Jin Shan's rendition of the BBQ pork puff was average at best and nowhere near my personal favourite at Yan Ting. The pastry was too thick and as with the egg tarts, lacked the buttery, oven baked goodness that I personally like. And I could only make out the taste of the pork floss atop as the char siew filling was rather bland.    With a 10% discount, the 4 of us chalked up a bill of about $180, which is quite a bit higher than what I usually pay at Wah Lok. Food quality was average at best and service was definitely below that of a restaurant in a 5 star hotel. Read. Grouchy at times and unhelpful to say the least. The only thing going for the restaurant is its bright, cheery ambience. Will I go back? Definitely not!

See my entire review and pictures here
• 06 Mar 2014 • 20 reviews • 1 follower