Review for Jones The Grocer (Dempsey Hill)

2.8

Western
Address: #01-12, 9 Dempsey Road, 247697
14 Nov 2013

Aussie Brunch at Dempsey

For the complete Chubby Botak Koala experience, click here:

Jones the Grocer is one of the more popular destinations to tuck in for a weekend brunch. It is a branch for popular Australia grocer / food emporium to provide natural and artisan ingredients from Australia and worldwide. The one that really catch our eyes, is the bread that freshly baked on the premises.

We pop by on Sunday morning, just after the morning drizzle clears. As this is our first visit to Jones The Grocer @ Dempsey, we notice that they do not take reservation for brunch. Luckily, due to the rain, the crowd was not there yet thus the queue was quite short and we got our seats in 15 mins.

So what's good on the menu? Little Devil's (LD) decided on Jones Big Breakfast ($24), I had French Toast with Berries ($18), while our friend SH had Eggs Benedict ($20).

Jones Big Breakfast basically have everything you want in a big breakfast. Sourdough Bread, eggs, bacon, sausages, hash brown. For something more up class, they also have sautéed baby spinach. The bread is fragrant, nice and crispy providing a nice bedding for the eggs. The sausages, bacon are cooked perfectly. Good solid brunch.

Since LD's decided on big breakfast and I know I will probably eat half of that, I decided on something light. Cinnamon French toast with mixed berries and vanilla crème fraiche. The bread is nicely coated with eggs, crispy and soft. The combination of mixed berries, icing sugar and vanilla crème fraiche is just so inviting to dig in into your breakkie.

Eggs Benedict come with smoked ham, spinach & poached eggs on house baked English Muffin. Don't let the simple presentation of this dish fool you. To produce the a nice hollandaise sauce, you need to be very skilful in the kitchen. Slight miscalculation will turn the sauce into sour scramble eggs. The eggs poached to the right temperature, while exuding white vinegar aroma the yolk will ooze out when you cut through the egg. The sauce is smooth and creamy while the ham is slightly salty.

Nothing better to complement a beautiful breakfast a great coffee. The coffee here is imported from Australia. It has a full body flavour, slightly bitter, but bode well for milk base coffee such as latte or cappuccino. Nice caffeine shot to start the day.

Basically when you are dining in Jones the Grocer, you are dining in a grocery shop. Surrounded by artisan produce and wine sold by Jones the Gorcery. It is a open concept shop with a high ceiling. Certainly does not feel like you are dining in Singapore. The service staff here is very good and professional. Our order took around 15 minutes to come, while we took turns to check out the produce selling on the shelves.

Overall, if you are looking for a place to have a good breakkie, I would recommend Jones the Grocer. Delicious food complement with delicious coffee. G'Day Mate.!!

Eggs Benedict, French Toast with Berries, coffee, Jones Big Breakfast

More reviews of Jones The Grocer

Great service, ok food

View the full menu with prices here: http://chewingyum.com/2015/11/15/jones-the-grocer/

Singapore has no shortage of brunch places these days. Filled with hipsters and overpriced food, these cafes are a dime a dozen. Jones the Grocer tries to outdo the competiion by adding a grocery store too! Now, you can get overpriced groceries at the same time!

But jokes aside, one has to say that overall, the food at Jones the Grocer is pretty decent. But that isn't why I enjoyed my experience there. No, what made this place stand out was the exceptional service! I really can't fault the staff on anything. Attentive, yet discrete. If only their food was better, I'd head down a lot mroe regularly. Still, I always enjoy my time there.

Disappointing

Haven't been here in a while. Food is a little overpriced. I ordered a Slow Brew Coffee that took a while which I understand but it was served in a mug with lipstick stain! The mushroom omelette is mediocre. Don't think I am going to come back here again.

Disappointing

We have not been to jones for sometime and decided to take a late brunch on a Sunday afternoon . Arrived after 3pm and the good thing was there's no lunch crowd and need not wait to be seated. However service staff seemed to be lacking in their usual jovial mood. We could only see an Indian and Caucasian waitress with a smile on their face when attending to the customers whereas all others were sour faced. Food was still decent but the whole experience was let down by the service. no one ensured that we had the right utensils, water did not arrive, extra orders were forgotten and worst, flies were conveniently buzzing around and lounging on tables. What happened to the ambience here??

It's very disappointing as we used to have good experience in jones. Hope they catch this review and better themselves for it used to be a place with good memories.

Overall

Nice place, soso food, poor service

Nice ambiance, food is ok but not worth the prices. Service is poor at best. We spent 20 minutes waiting to be seated while there was plenty of room inside. Several items on the menu were not actually available. The waitress forgot to bring two of our drinks and when we asked about it, blamed it on the kitchen and didn't apologise.

Would have expected from a restaurant on Dempsey Hill

... Service was just so slow. Granted it was a public holiday and the place was packed, but the staff was nowhere to be seen. And when finally spotted, they took the longest time to get to the table. Definitely not the place to go to if you are starving and want quick service.

To read more on why Jones did not work great for me, please go to my blog, Vegetablog: https://www.facebook.com/vegetablog/posts/1700524493514768