Back to Joyden Seafood#01-11, West Coast Recreation Centre, 12 West...

Nonya Style Steamed Fish6 votes
Wheelchair Friendly4 votes

ZoloLima
 • 20 Sep 2014 2 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Made a reservation with 3 other food craze friends to Joyden and anticipated today. We went from East to West in search of a new experience. Finally found the place and was ushered to sit. We sought some opinion for the ordering and was recommended lobster steamed with glutinous rice and crab with bee hoon. Our eventual order was crispy Sotong, prawn Fritter (her zor), teochew steamed sea bass, salted egg prawns, steamed bamboo clams with garlic, crab bee hoon and lobster with glutinous rice.

While waiting for the food in anticipation, we saw huge bamboo baskets served out to other tables and this escalated our excitement towards the lobster. When it was finally served, the staff opened the bamboo lid and there was no aroma. We did see a huge lobster sitting on steamed glutinous rice. We gave it a benefit of a doubt when the staff was serving out the portions for us. It was a disappointment. The lobster while fresh was a total disparate from the glutinous rice. The so said signature dish is at best a lobster AND glutinous rice. There was no infusion of aroma into the glutinous rice from the lobster.

The crab bee hoon and the bamboo clams were nothing to shout about. They are fresh ingredients, I must be fair, but they are just nothing to rave about. Prawn fritters are well prepared with a twist of parsley. Clever, as it makes the fritters less oily to consume. but at $12 for 6, it's its a tad over priced.

While our spirits were bit dampened by the proceedings thus far, our ill experienced was sealed with the over steamed sea bass. The poor teochew steamed sea bass we estimated could have been over steamed by a good 5 to 10 minutes. Fish eyes have popped out white and chives were almost off green. Being true teochew steam fish aficionados, we dug in to the belly almost immediate. To our horror, the flesh was chewy and very stiff. If the belly was of this texture, we were not motivated to move on to other parts.

We felt compelled to speak to the manager which we did. She is a very accommodating lady. Looking at the almost pathetically untouched fish, she kindly waived the sea bass off our bill. Our bill still came to $324 which was with sea bass waived.

Well, it was not so much about the bill but that the food quality has to match. We were willing to settle for freshness of ingredients. They almost survived the expectation till the over steamed fish was allowed to be served. This reflected an alarming level of complacency.

The manager appealed to be given a second chance. But to pay to brave another risk? No thanks.

After Work
  • bamboo clams,  teochew sea bass, crab bee hoon, crispy Sotong, prawn Fritter,  salted egg prawn

Hoongy !
 • 18 Aug 2014 1826 reviews 253 followers
Overall
In today's tough F&B market, any business that survives a couple of years must have done something right. Joyden, located at the car park of West Coast Recreation Centre, has done just that with its celebration of its tenth year anniversary.

At a recent visit, I tried some of their signature items which has allowed them to on top of their game for such a long period of time.

I started out with the Signature Cereal Prawns, dry prawns fried with its shell intact.

Next was the Signature Oyster Sauce Imperial Chicken. The full meaty chicken was tender and the dish can be rather addictive.

An interesting dish to try is the Steamed Lobster with Glutinous Treasure Rice. Here, the young lobsters are cooked with the rice which offers a more wholistic finish with the savory rice flavoured with Chinese pork sausages.

Those coming with grandpa can order the old school yam ring, which comes with either coffee based pork ribs or chili sauce pork ribs for those who loves their food with a bit of kick.

Finally, how can one go to a live seafood place without trying the crab. If you must make a pick , ask for the crab to be fried in bee hoon. Similar to the lobster with rice, the  bee hoon compliments the crab well, cooked in a slightly wet but really tasty broth.

Well, there you have it, some recommendations to try at a place which has been serving quality Chinese fare for the last decade.

Must tries: Lobster with Glutinous Rice

• Crab with Bee Hoon

LocalMama
 • 20 Apr 2014 5 reviews 0 follower
Overall
We went on a Thursday to celebrate my father's birthday. Restaurant was not packed even during dinner hours. I was impressed by the comfy table spacing & their excellent service rendered. We ordered Birthday Eefu Noodles, Teochew Steamed Grouper, Poached Prawns, Sambal Kangkong, Roasted Chicken & Coffee Spare Ribs. The Eefu Noodles & Sambal Kangkong were good and Roasted Chicken was ordinary. The coffee in the Coffee Spare Ribs was overpowering. It was as if i had a full cup of coffee eating a piece of rib. We were extremely disappointed with the overcooked Steamed Grouper especially we paid $60+ for a fresh grouper! I might still go back but will avoid ordering the dishes that has failed my expectation during this visit.

Must tries: e-fu noodles, Sambal Kangkong, Poached Prawns

After Work, Birthdays, Children/Family, Chillout, Dinner, Large Groups, Large Groups/Gathering, Lunch, Private Dining, Quiet, Relaxed