Back to Joyden Seafood#01-11, West Coast Recreation Centre, 12 West...

Nonya Style Steamed Fish6 votes

Relaxed3 votes

reebztan
 • 27 Oct 2014 4 reviews 0 follower
Overall
While I was on my mission to review the F&B joints at HillV2, I stumbled across a new concept called Joyden Canton Kitchen (not opened yet). Seemed to be a new brand and I googled it to see if there was more information available on it. Suprisingly what came out was Joyden Seafood, and furthermore, seems like quite a number of people have visited the place and blogged about it. And so I decided to drag the whole family down to West Coast to give it a try since I have been craving seafood.

Odd little location, but not entirely difficult to locate. Overall ambience was pleasant but simple, and it does have that old-school smell to it. Read online that the restaurant had been there for like 10 years, but only had a revamp recently. Guess some smells you just can't get rid of =p but thankfully it wasn't unpleasant or anything.

We decided to go for the Hae Zor (yummy!!!!!!) as starters. Then we ordered the Gan Heong Lala. The Lala wasn't as meaty as we would like it to be, but the sauce and egg was superb, reminiscent of what we had in KL. Mom found it a bit salty, but then had it with white rice wihch was just nice with all the dried shrimps.

For mains, we ordered the steamed red grouper in hong kong style. Nothing surprising there, but the fish was very fresh and well steamed. Was pleasantly surprised since the last reviewer didn't have good things to say about their steamed fish experience, which I cheekily brought up to the supervisor =p Must say though that the supervisor handled my cheeky question quite professionally, saying that they try at all times to ensure good food quality and if any customer has any feedback, they will try to address on the spot immediately, for e.g. offering to serve a new dish etc. Haha but then she cheekily replied also that most of their customers preferred to eat soon hock and grouper, which real seafood fans would know are in a different league from seabass. Kudos to her for the response!

Cereal prawns was good with a hint of curry. Made it worthwhile to get the hands and fingers dirty.  We also ordered the Oyster Sauce Chicken. Unusual dish. Tasty and has an "old-fashioned" feel to it. Best eaten with rice, and I couldn't help notice that it was more popular with the "elderly" at the table.

Next on the dish also was the Crab Bee Hoon. For the uninitiated like us, it was a bit of a suprise to see it as a dry version. On appearance it looked a tad bit oily, but we were hit by a whiff of fragrant spring onion and ginger that was really appetizing. We tucked in and were really surprised by how tasty it was. Slightly oilier than what we would like it, but the bee hoon has soaked up all the juices and were so flavourful. Add a bit of sambal belacan and wow!

Pricing wise, it's pretty much what you would expect to pay at a Seafood restaurant. Foodwise, it holds itself well against the big named "J" or "LB" seafood restaurants, but is definitely more value for money. Just don't compare to a cze char stall!

Must tries: Dry Crab Bee Hoon (Vermicelli), Cereal prawns, Gan Heong Lala

After Work, Ala Carte, Birthdays, Children/Family, Dinner, Healthy Eating, Large Groups, Lunch, Relaxed, Wheelchair Friendly

ZoloLima
 • 20 Sep 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Made a reservation with 3 other food craze friends to Joyden and anticipated today. We went from East to West in search of a new experience. Finally found the place and was ushered to sit. We sought some opinion for the ordering and was recommended lobster steamed with glutinous rice and crab with bee hoon. Our eventual order was crispy Sotong, prawn Fritter (her zor), teochew steamed sea bass, salted egg prawns, steamed bamboo clams with garlic, crab bee hoon and lobster with glutinous rice.

While waiting for the food in anticipation, we saw huge bamboo baskets served out to other tables and this escalated our excitement towards the lobster. When it was finally served, the staff opened the bamboo lid and there was no aroma. We did see a huge lobster sitting on steamed glutinous rice. We gave it a benefit of a doubt when the staff was serving out the portions for us. It was a disappointment. The lobster while fresh was a total disparate from the glutinous rice. The so said signature dish is at best a lobster AND glutinous rice. There was no infusion of aroma into the glutinous rice from the lobster.

The crab bee hoon and the bamboo clams were nothing to shout about. They are fresh ingredients, I must be fair, but they are just nothing to rave about. Prawn fritters are well prepared with a twist of parsley. Clever, as it makes the fritters less oily to consume. but at $12 for 6, it's its a tad over priced.

While our spirits were bit dampened by the proceedings thus far, our ill experienced was sealed with the over steamed sea bass. The poor teochew steamed sea bass we estimated could have been over steamed by a good 5 to 10 minutes. Fish eyes have popped out white and chives were almost off green. Being true teochew steam fish aficionados, we dug in to the belly almost immediate. To our horror, the flesh was chewy and very stiff. If the belly was of this texture, we were not motivated to move on to other parts.

We felt compelled to speak to the manager which we did. She is a very accommodating lady. Looking at the almost pathetically untouched fish, she kindly waived the sea bass off our bill. Our bill still came to $324 which was with sea bass waived.

Well, it was not so much about the bill but that the food quality has to match. We were willing to settle for freshness of ingredients. They almost survived the expectation till the over steamed fish was allowed to be served. This reflected an alarming level of complacency.

The manager appealed to be given a second chance. But to pay to brave another risk? No thanks.

After Work
  • bamboo clams,  teochew sea bass, crab bee hoon, crispy Sotong, prawn Fritter,  salted egg prawn

Hoongy !
 • 18 Aug 2014 1871 reviews 257 followers
Overall
In today's tough F&B market, any business that survives a couple of years must have done something right. Joyden, located at the car park of West Coast Recreation Centre, has done just that with its celebration of its tenth year anniversary.

At a recent visit, I tried some of their signature items which has allowed them to on top of their game for such a long period of time.

I started out with the Signature Cereal Prawns, dry prawns fried with its shell intact.

Next was the Signature Oyster Sauce Imperial Chicken. The full meaty chicken was tender and the dish can be rather addictive.

An interesting dish to try is the Steamed Lobster with Glutinous Treasure Rice. Here, the young lobsters are cooked with the rice which offers a more wholistic finish with the savory rice flavoured with Chinese pork sausages.

Those coming with grandpa can order the old school yam ring, which comes with either coffee based pork ribs or chili sauce pork ribs for those who loves their food with a bit of kick.

Finally, how can one go to a live seafood place without trying the crab. If you must make a pick , ask for the crab to be fried in bee hoon. Similar to the lobster with rice, the  bee hoon compliments the crab well, cooked in a slightly wet but really tasty broth.

Well, there you have it, some recommendations to try at a place which has been serving quality Chinese fare for the last decade.

Must tries: Lobster with Glutinous Rice