Review for Joyden Seafood

AsianChineseSeafood
Address: #01-11, West Coast Recreation Centre, 12 West Coast Walk, 127157
03 Sep 2013

Great Seafood!

Was invited to Joyden for a family dinner last Sunday. 1st impression of the restaurant. It is located within this West Coast Recreation Centre and strangely at its car-park level. Nonetheless when we entered the restaurant, it was warm and pleasant with wooden floorings and nice purple chairs.

It was very busy for a Sunday night. From what i could gather, the restaurant was pretty big and could sit around 20+ biggish tables.

Jumping on to the food. Given that my aunt is a regular at this restaurant and it being her birthday, naturally she did the ordering. And wow, did she not disappoint.

The first dish that came was the Cold Dish platter. Now i know what you're thinking...how great can a Cold Dish get right?? WRONG!! The Cold Dish was fantastic! Firstly it looked great (all of us took our phones out to snap pictures) but more importantly it tasted great! Especially the Hae Zor which we almost ordered a second portion of!

Next dish that came along was the Crispy Whole Duck (on promo btw till end Sept). We seldom see this dish nowadays or if we do see it, it doesn't taste very good. But over at Joyden, the moment that brought the Duck out, you could smell how fragrant it was. And when the server cut into the duck to pull apart the duck meat...oh my, we couldn't wait to tuck in. Like my cousin said...it's like KFC but much better! haha we could see our neighbouring tables ordering the same thing too.

Cereal Prawns was next. Again, what you think would be a very normal dish found everyone. But wrong again! The cereal was especially crispy and fragrant, just with the right touch of curry powder and sweetness. We were just scrapping the cereal off the plate to top on our rice. Point to note also, the prawns were very fresh and big!

Will just jump to the Crabs as these were the highlight of the dinner. We had 2 types, Creamy Crab and Black Pepper Crab. 1st thing that we noted was their crabs were not particularly big, but still >1kg i think. But the manager was telling us that these mid-sized crabs are best for stir-frying as their meat is relatively firm and can absorb the sauces much better than the large crabs.

The Creamy Crab was cooked with a pumpkin puree based sauce. Sounds strange i know. But sooooooo yummy, with a hint of spicy, saltiness and sweetness. We were all licking our fingers and dunking man-tous into the sauce to soak up liquid.

Black Pepper Crab was quite suprising. The black pepper sauce was glossy (almost reflective) and coated the crabs really well. It was not wet such that it would run down your fingers when holding the crab, but it definitely wasn't dry and crumbly either. Perfect consistency I would say. For those who are used to the big crabs found at the few Branded Seafood Restaurants, you may find the crabs here not substantial enough. But trust me, the meat holds up well to the sauce and remains firm and sweet.

All in all, fantastic seafood elevated to great heights! Will come back for more! Hope it opens more outlets soon!
Black Pepper Crab, Nonya Style Steamed Fish, Cereal prawns, Signature Creamy Crab

More reviews of Joyden Seafood

Dim Sum at West Coast

I have driven past West Coast Recreation Centre many times. I came by for lunch one afternoon to try their dim sum menu.

Here are the highlights of my meal:

- Scallop and Mango Crispy Wrap: $12. Deep fried. Crispy on the outside and the inside was moist and sweet.

- Imperial Prawn Dumpling – Har Gao: $4.50. Thin skinned and the prawn filling was good.

- Shrimp Siew Mai with Crab roe: $4.50. This was ok.

- Shrimp & Vegetable Crystal Dumpling: $4.20. Alright only.

- Yong Tau Foo: $4.20. Rare to have yong tau foo for dim sum. This was tau pok with minced pork fillings. Its steamed with a nice starchy sauce tats mild spicy.

- Jade Dumpling with Scallops: $4.50. Green colored dumpling with mini scallop.

- Crab Meat Cheong Fun: $4.80. Crabmeat Chee Cheong Fun. Spotted this on the menu and I had to order it to try. A first for me. Freshly made. The soya sauce is made by the chef on premise and it taste just like how a good Cantonese restaurant should serve it as. It's nice.

- Sliced Grouper Fish Congee: $5. This was a small bowl of congee. What I like about this is that the fish meat in this were firm. Its topped with youtiao that were cut thinly and deep fried. Its nice.

- La La (Gan Heong style): $12. Clams stir fried with dried shrimp, egg, sambal and cut chili padi. $12. I asked for little chili and I was perspiring at the end of the meal.

This is a hidden find and the dim sum is not bad. Now I need not travel all the way to town to enjoy dim sum, when it can be had just minutes away in the west.

Overall

BAD

Bad manager service! Asking us to go ahead and complain him! like seriously?! They should really do something about it.

Disappointed!!

Was waiting for the rest of my family to come but the staff that orders the food kept chasing us to order it now. And showing us a very pissed face when ordering!

BAD SERVICE

Manager & Celine waitress gave lousy service! Showing attitude when ordering the food, was asked t change staff but she said she's the only who can order. Still prefer last time that manager with good service!! Will not come back again!!

No joy at Joyden

Had dinner at Joyden Seafood Restaurant, West Coast Recreation Centre on 26/12/15. Spent $656.06 for a table of 14 after having seen on their website a promotion of 15% off the bill for SAF personnel. Service was very poor. Asked for 2 crabs to be cooked separately but it came in one plate. Also forgot to serve a vegetable soup dish. When paying for the bill, reminded an elderly female cashier about the SAF promotion. She asked to see SAF proof which was shown to her. She grumbled that when ordering the food, we ought to tell her about the SAF promotion before hand as she had already finalised the bill. After going through her computer, she told us that as it was a Saturday, the promotion was not valid. We told her that the website had no such exclusion. After a while, she produced a small piece of paper with a hand scribbled date showing 23 Dec 2015. She said that the promotion for SAF ended on 23 Dec as shown on the paper. We pointed out that this was also not stated in the website. She was a little agitated and mentioned that she could only give us a discount of $35.00 for spending more than $600.
 The next day, I went back to see the Manager with a copy of their website promotion but was told that the manager would only be back on Wed. 30/12/15. I was asked to leave my hand phone number with the assistant manager who would get the manager to call me on Wed. I also pointed out to the assistant manager about the lucky draw promotion which was not accorded to me. She apologised and gave me 2 forms to complete and put into a box which I declined.
 To date, 1 Jan 2016, nobody from Joyden has contacted me despite the promise. This evening when I went into their website again, they have removed all their promotions and substituted it with a Chinese New Year Dinner advertisement.
 A restaurant which is not forthright in honoring their website promotion is left to be desired. It is no different from shops at Sim Lim Square and Lucky Plaza. This will be the last time my friends and I will visit Joyden Restaurant.