Ju Shin Jung has closed.

Review for (Closed) Ju Shin Jung (Joo Chiat)

3.6

AsianKorean
Address: #01-01, Katong Junction, 451 Joo Chiat Road, 427664
01 Apr 2009
Overall

SAMGAETANG (Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup)

For the record My Wife is a big K-Food fans. I dunno whether its the hunky guy from the Korean show that brainwash her and make the food looks good, or its just the food that is good. So wherever got K-Food, She will go and try one. Luckily nowadays, the K-Food craze slows down already.

We stop by this place last year. YES, last year, I draft this review last year but forgot to upload it ha..ha.. What an old man. So, I'm trying to be fair here. When we went there, there was no such thing as lunch promotion or what, all base on ala carte menu. During lunchtime this place only got 5 tables fill, I thought it was going to close anytime soon.

Just like its name, Ju Shin Jung Samgaetang specialise in the Ginseng Chicken Soup. Don't waste your time ordering 1/2 chicken, just order the whole thing. For $20 is good value. The put the salt on the side, for people to add their own according to their preference. The plus plus point is that they offer us if we want to top up the soup FOC ... wah, what a service.

We also ordered Grill Octopus. The plus point, the octopus is tender and they grill it together with their other vegetable. The Minus point, I almost choke when I see the bill $50 for grill octopus. This dish Definitely Overprice !!!

Overall, this place has a limited menu. Rather than provide more balance between the spicy and non-spicy food, its basically 85% spicy and 15% non-spicy. Hopefully with the lunch menu nowadays, they can attract more people. Parking here should not be a problem, since customer can park in the building.
Samgaetang

More reviews of Ju Shin Jung

Ju Shin Jung @ Guillemard

Hi foodies, the Ju Shin Jung outlet at Katong has closed down and they shifted to Guillemard. To find out more about their new outlet, check out our food blog at
Hope this helps (:

Nice and Value Korean food

Tried many Korean restaurant, so far this is better then previous tried ones. The restaurant specialized in BBQ and ginseng chicken. As just of us, we give it a pass on the BBQ buffet and BBQ set, instead we just ordered their ginseng chicken @ $20, dolsot (hot stone bimbibap) @ $14, and pajun (seafood pancake) @ $20. In fact, it is too much for 2 of us to finish especially they also provide free flow of appertizer dishes which are very nice, the portion is more than the usual Korean restaurant that provide just about 1scoop of the dish. Most important is the topping up of soup for the ginseng chicken which the soup is usually not enough for 2 pax.

swansong visit

I have been here when they first opened couple years back. At that time it was relatively unkown and thus people free. Fast forward to yesterday evening, the place was packed. Almost at capacity by 7.30pm. I feel good that the eatery has made it. My first visit affirms this as I can taste the food was unadulterated and authentically Korean.

Yesterday though I've decided that the food while still authentic and reasonably above average, the establishment lacks a proper ventilation system. This alone is making me think never again. I understand that for table bbq, no matter where u go the smell will cling to your hair and clothes. But in a properly ventilated place, the smell shud be subtle. Here, OMG....I swear the resturant was a bit cloudy at a point. Service was also slow. They must be understaffed and the waitresses look harried though not unpleasant.

Overall

Food ok. Service below par.

I visited this place a few months back when my friend and I wanted to try Fatboy's burgers but it was too crowded for dinner. So we ended up at this place since it was just beside Fatboy's and my friend did not mind Korean food. It was 8pm at that time already. Very hungry!

We went in and ordered the bbq buffet (limited number of dishes) and the ginseng chicken. For the ginseng chicken, I think they added glutinous rice in the chicken if I am not wrong. It tasted ok, but nothing special or fantastic. They provide the salt at the side and you decide how much to add in based on your liking. The side dishes were ok for me since I don't really eat much.. My friend was the one who was eating most of them. No complaints from him on the side dishes, so it should be ok as well.

The bbq food was better compared to the ginseng chicken, and we tried about 3 kinds of meat from the buffet menu in the 1st round of order. After finishing our food, we made our order for the 2nd round. But here comes the frustrating part. We placed our 2nd round order at around 8.40pm. However, by 9.30pm the 2nd round dishes have not arrived (how long do you need to prepare raw food?). We were surprised and inquired with the staff. I am not sure if they had forgotten the order. But after reminding them, we had to tell them what dishes we ordered again! It was another 15mins minutes before the food came. But only 1 of the 3 dishes came. The staff did not apologize but instead asked us AGAIN what we would like to order. I was getting fed up, and I can tell from my friend's place he just want to finish whatever food on our table and get out of here.

This was a very bad experience for me and I will not return again. If i want to eat BBQ Korean food next time, I will go to Jang Shou at Esplanade. Although it is more expensive, at least I do not have to wait so long for the "raw" food to be prepared and delivered to the table. Btw the side dishes at Jang Shou are much better compared to here. I forgot how much we spent, but could be around $40+ each. Definitely not value for money.

Love this place!

Ever since we chanced upon this restaurant 2 years ago, I need to go there every few months to satisfy my Korean BBQ cravings. Huge variety of side dishes, well marinated and delicious meat, at least 5 different vegetables to wrap. My only wish? Give me a bigger bowl of the ginger drink dessert.