Review for Keisuke Tonkotsu King

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-19, Orchid Hotel, 1 Tras Street, 078867
24 Jul 2014

Good Ramen

Came here for a late lunch so avoid the long queue! Yay!! Saw that they actually provided free barley for customers who are waiting in line to help themselves to, they even left several fans in case it get too hot. That's nice. I ordered: Black Spicy Ramen - the broth was thick and savory. I opted for the noodle as 'normal' texture so that's nice for me. The soup was not spicy at all, just a hint of it. The pork slices were thick and flavourful, but a little tough. I opted for additional flavour egg and it was good, soft & seasoned at the yoke. Free beans sprout - I thought it would be plain boiled bean sprouts but I was surprised to find a small jar of bean sprout goodness left on the table for your own service. Their bean sprouts were boiled and seasoned with sesame, spicy oil and something yummy. I only know I CANNOT stop eating that!! I wanted to whack the free eggs too but was way too full from the free bean sprouts to do so. Will return if in the area, just to whack the bean sprouts again!
Bean Sprouts (free)

More reviews of Keisuke Tonkotsu King

Perfect

If today is the end of the world, what are the 3 dishes you would want to eat before you die? For me, they are bak kut teh, crabs and ramen! That explains why I do patron this place very frequently. They are a chain of outlets, namely tori king, tonkatsu King and gyoza King! They are all worth the try! But if you are in the mood of having some pork flavored dishes, this is the place to go! Soup is very flavorful and you would want to finish every drop of it. It also has unlimited eggs and bean sprouts! Trust me, the bean sprouts over here is one of the best ever!

Ramen + Green Tea Cola

Decided to visit this place after patronising the other outlet at Bugis (refer to previous review)
Location wise was quite close to MRT
Just like its fellow outlet at Bugis, the crowd here is not to be meddled with

In comparison to the Bugis outlet, the ramen here is slightly cheaper.
However, the quality pales in comparison.
The place is very cramped.
My friends and I, 6 in total, had to squeeze together to share 2 tables.
There was barely any space for any side dishes.

Recommended for off-peak hours.
Just like the previous review, do not forget your “Green Tea Cola”. :)

Tonkotsu King -The Jewel in King Keisuke's Crown

Visit http://freshffm.blogspot.sg/2015/10/tonkotsu-king-jewel-in-king-keisukes.html for detailed review with photos!

Like a true traditional ramen shop, Tonkotsu King does not have many options. Essentially, what a customer has control over is the saltiness and oiliness of the pork-based soup, with an additional option of choosing various sauces (black or red) to add spice. The newly-initiated should go for "normal" levels of saltiness and oiliness in a plain Tonkotsu soup base, which might be too strong compared to other eateries. This is how ramen's supposed to taste though. For subsequent visits, the "strong" levels are worth venturing into.

Upon receiving the order, the amount of fats floating within the soup might be shocking for the faint-hearted. Don't fret though, the fats add richness to the soup. Forget momentarily about cholesterol and sodium content; this is one of the best bowls of ramen you're gonna get in Singapore, so enjoy yourself and eat up. While we're on the topic, the soup is exceptionally thick, and for lack of a better word, "creamy". It tastes as though a live pig was thrown squealing into a pot of boiling water, and kept there until its flavour has thoroughly infused every water molecule. The broth is definitely a hard-hitter and takes no prisoners. When compared to some of the ramen we had in Japan however, Tonkotsu King's broth is more reliant on oil to bring about its heaviness and taste, whereas ramen in Japan was less oily but still more substantial and flavourful -perhaps due to the differences in pork quality, the duration of boiling or the amount of pork actually used. With that caveat aside, Tonkotsu King's broth is definitely one of the best you can get locally...

Feel like in Japan

Whenever I walk past the Orchid Hotel, I will see people queueing for the Keisuke Tonkotsu King. To beat the crowd, you have to go about half an hour before noon, for lunch.

In short – is it worth to queue? Yes.

Interior – There is nothing to talk about for this restaurant. Its small, cramp and the interior simply tells you: Eat and Go. It is very Japanese style.

Food – They offer free side dishes: eggs (in two colors, one with lower cholesterol) and bean sprouts. Now the ramen, the soup is very flavorful – so flavorful and thick that by the end of my meal, I feel a bit jilat. But not complaining here because the generous and not-very-fatty charsiew and nice ramen noodles compliment the thick soup. How I wish the soup can be less thick so that it will be perfect.

Service – There seemed to be quite a lot of staff working in this teeny-weeny restaurant (or not even restaurant). Due to its small area, staff is very alert and prompt in service. One thing about this restaurant that impressed me was that they offered free barley drinks to those waiting in line. It was a nice gesture!

Superbly good ramen!

This is an adapted review from my blog. Full review and more photos can be read from this link:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We arrived just slightly past 6 p.m. but the queue had already reached an incredible length, taking us close to 30 minutes before we were admitted. However Tonkontsu King clearly ooze Japanese efficiency by providing order forms upfront, allowing diners to place their orders before stepping into the store.

Upon our turn, we were ushered into a claustrophobic interior where space was a premium. It was obvious that the interior was meant just for dining. - tables and chairs were packed close to each other, and walking space was kept to a minimum, I wonder if the restaurants were this packed in japan as well.

I have to say that Ramen Keisuke's bowl of ramen was one of the best which I have tried before. Our ramen - Ramen Keisuke ramen with Japanese soft boiled egg, had a solid texture which held its own until you chew it apart. The broth was cloudy with goodies, with chashu, chopped onions and black fungus adding tastes to my palate. The liquid was so tasty that every slurp of ramen was accompanied with a scoop of broth to savor the sweet and salty taste. Ramen Keisuke really earned its namesake with this broth. However diners should take note of its saltiness - too much could leave you really thirsty.

One offering of Ramen Keisuke which I found novel and interesting is their bowl full of eggs. Each table was allocated a bowl full of hard boiled eggs, which came in brown and white variants, for your consumption. However their shells were difficult to be peeled, leaving quite a mess when removing them, often prickling the egg white and leaving it with craters. Since these were free offerings not included in the bill, I guess I should not complain about it.

Ramen Keisuke won me over with their taste, which is just above most Japanese restaurant offerings. I would choose this over most of the chain restaurants, but I would not queue another time just for the sake of it.