kaya toast3 votes
Take Away4 votes

summer tan
 • 18 hours ago 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I used to go at least twice a week regardless of the heat & long wait.
Nowadays for the same price I simply head to the other kopitiam down the mall with ac. Food gets served faster and the service is good.
Just cant stand the BAD and RUDE service at killiney.
Good luck to them raising their price serving worse food with poor customer service.

make your calories count
 • 15 Jul 2013 126 reviews 0 follower
Overall
For the full review, please visit http://www.makeyourcaloriescount.com/2013/07/sg-killiney-kopitiam-best-kaya-toast.html

Growing up eating the traditional charcoal-grilled bread toast of Killiney Kopitiam, I cannot help but feel sentimental whenever I am in the vicinity of their flagship stall located on Killiney Road. With a humble beginning dating back to 1919, it is an eatery that I make special effort to visit whenever I am back home not simply for nostalgic sake but rather the quality of their kaya toasts and kopi-o-kosong that had kept my family as faithful patrons over the years.

At the constantly busy eatery, you would be expected to place your orders at the counter in person though the dishes would be served to your table. Is Killiney the best kaya toast chain in Singapore? Let our taste buds do the judging!

Kaya toast (S$1/pc)

Coming in a set of 2 pieces, it would come to S$2 for each order despite stating S$1/pc on the menu. We had 2 sets for sharing in addition to the two other types of toast they offered. As usual, the kaya stood up to the test with a strong egg flavour hinted by its pandan flavouring. Killiney's kaya has a unique differential element that sets it apart from its competitors and that comes down to the texture. With the abundance of eggs in the mixture, the texture of the kaya was cross-grained so expect dishevelled bits in that rich coconut jam. While it might lack smoothness in the spread for some, it suited my palate with the right level of sweetness, in excess just to please and not satiate one's appetite. If you are after a bold version of kaya dominated by egg and pandan flavours, then Killiney would be a good match.

If you are a kaya toast fan like us, you will notice that the char-grilled toast was thicker than the ones served at Ya Kun. It maintained a thin layer of crispness on the surface yet fluffy and soft on the inside. While we suspect that the bread used by both Killiney and Ya Kun originate from the same supplier from a humble bakery that operates 24 hours down at Whampoa (though Ya Kun serves a brown bread charactered by brown sugar), we are unable to confirm at the time of writing.

Due to word limitations, please continue to read the rest of our review at our blog, thank you and apologies for the inconvenience!

Must tries: kaya toast, French loaf toast

Jenny Leong
 • 29 Apr 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
the+place+ever+since+in+charged+n+opetationally+run+by+a+fat+young+lady+has+greatly+dropped+in+sservice