Summary

Value4
Potato Pancake, Spicy Chicken Set, kimchi soup, Steamed Saba Fish, potato pancakes, Hotplate Beef, Korean Glass Noodle, Spicy Beef Soup, beef bulgogi, bibimbap, rice cake, rice cakes View all
Lunch, Dinner, Cheap Eat/Budget, After Work, Vibrant/Noisy, Hidden Find, Large Groups/Gathering, Boys Night Out, Brunch, Children/Family, Supper, Take Away, Healthy Eating View all

authentic Korean food you shouldn't miss

I've been supporting this stall for more than 7 years since my school day. I was recommended by my Korean friend to here and got hooked by this stall after my first try. The bibimbap / slice fish set / kimchi soup you must not miss! :)

Most helpful reviews for Kim Dae Mun Korean Cuisine (Orchard)

Good and Cheap Korean Food

I've been a avid fan of korean food for quite sometime and Im always on a lookout of good and cheap korean food. Heard about this store and decided to try it out today. The store is very easily located. The setting of the foodcourt is old; not as nice looking as the one we have now koufu/food Republic.

I ordered Spicy Chicken Soup Set which cost $6.50 and my friend ordered Spicy Pork Set which cost $7.00. The soup set came with a bowl of rice and a choice of kimchi, cucumber, anchovy. I pick the Kimchi and damm the kimchi taste soo good!! haha... The best out of sooo many food court that serves kimchi as side dish. When i receive my Chicken Soup Set i thought it will be super spicy because the colour of the soup is bright red, but upon testing it wasn't as spicy i thought it will be. For me, the amount of spiciness is just nice, not toooo spicy and not too blend. The soup is also very addictive and your spoon keeps going back for more. The soup is also filled with lots of vegetables spinach, xiao bai cai, spring onion? Its a definitely must try!!

Another set we ordered was the Spicy Pork Set same as the soup set it came with a bowl of rice and a choice of kimchi, cucumber or anchovy. My friend chose the seasoned anchovy, unlike other food court where the anchovy is soft and salty, there is still a crispy texture even though they put it out quite some time it is also not soo salty as compared to the others. Coming back to the pork set, they serve a plate full of the meat and the meat is not hard to bite and swallow it is cooked just nice, the spiciness of the meat is also not that bad.

Lastly we ordered dukbokki which cost $5 the portion is quite reasonable for the amount, weirdly it comes with a full egg. and again don't be trick by those bright red, it is actually not that spicy however as everyone that tried korean food before the rice cake is very chewy, however! it is not till the extend that you have to chew on it a million times before swallowing it down.

To sum it up this place is a good place for those who want to find good and cheap korean food :D and it is in town area so what more can you complain about?? I will definitely go back there :D

p.s. Try to go before the peak hour, Lunch and Dinner time. :D

Cheers :D

Good Korean food!

Sometimes you find a place that's cheap and good and you don't want anyone else to know lest it gets too popular and the standards drop; Kim Dae Mun is this place for me.

After having tried Korean food for the first time in 2009 in a small family-run Korean restaurant in the boonies of Chicago, I've been trying to find a place closer to home that served up yummy Korean food but have been sadly disappointed many times over.

I'm a big fan of topokki and their topokki is really good. Many places have a very watery sauce that just tastes spicy with not much taste of anything else. Here their sauce is nice and thick and has a good balance of sweet and spicy. Their rice cakes are cooked to a chewy perfection. Their portions are very generous too so this could be a meal in itself for smaller eaters.

Also tried the spicy chicken soup, chicken hotplate and potato pancake. When the dishes came the gf and I looked at each other and wondered how they could run a profitable business because their servings were very generous, which of course made me a very happy customer.

The spicy chicken soup was chock full of chicken slices, all sorts of vegetables and a thick vermicilli type noodle. This was all sorts of goodness. It comes looking like it'll be the type of spicy that'll burn your tongue off and leave you in tears but it's actually quite mild in comparison to how it looks. Again a good balance of spiciness, could taste the rich chicken broth with each spoonful. I couldn't stop lapping it up. The chicken hotplate was heaped with lots of chicken meat as well and needless to say, this was another tummy pleaser. The potato pancakes were tasty, crisp and had a slight chewy texture to it, it didn't have a very potato-ey taste but for starchy food lovers, this is sure to satisfy your palate. It's serving size is good as a side dish.

I didn't fancy the side dishes (kimchee, kimchee cucumber and anchovies I think) but with so many other things to eat, this was just a minor issue to me. The menu is not vast but I think of it as comfort food, I always go back for the same thing.

If anything, the only down side of the place is the foodcourt it's in. Located at the bottom of a dinghy and sleazy building, the foodcourt is reminiscent of a cheap foodcourt built in the early 90s, sterile and not prettied up like the ones we have today (food republic, etc.).

Have been here twice and have been pleased both times.

Restaurant standard in a foodcourt setting

Having heard only good things about this place, I decided to check it out with my boyfriend one Saturday, and was glad I did!

Ordered some fried mandu as a side dish - somehow I still can't tell the difference between gyoza, fried mandu and guo tie. In any case, this one was just the way I liked it with crispy edges and a soft juicy filling.

The hotplate chicken was nicely seasoned and the entire plate was generously filled, unlike in some foodcourts.

My boyfriend ordered japchae. Being someone who doesn't really bother about food, he gave this one the thumbs up. Says something, eh? :)

Affordable, authentic korean food

Food/Drink 4 | Value 4 | Ambience N/A | Service 4

Generous portions. The store proudly displays the healthfulness of its dishes.

I ordered the spicy chicken soup: generous amounts of chicken, vegetable, egg and tanghoon and a bowl or rice.

My friend had the spicy chicken set, which was a hotplate FULL of chicken.

While this may not be the cheapest korean food around town (think canteens and the like), it certainly is an affordable alternative to korean restaurants in orchard!

Ps. The korean auntie manning the store will answer your questions but her grasp of local speak isn't strong so don't try customizing your orders! Just eat it as it is served - it's all delish anyway

Cheap and good korean food in town

For the full post and pictures visit toseetofeeltoeat

Furnishing was sparse and simple, with neat rows of plastic tables and chairs, and a counter where you can place your order. Very much like the previous food court style, you place your order at the counter, wait for your food to be ready, and bring it over to a table.

It was crowded on a Saturday night and it took some effort to find a table. Everybody was waiting around trying to snag a table and the queue at the counter was long.

The boyfriend chose the Spicy Pork Set which was yummy! Kim Dae Mun is well-known for cooking their hotplate dishes in hot water instead of oil so it was a much healthier option.

I picked the Kimchi Stew which was heavenly. Just the right amount of spicy and sour with a generous amount of kimchi, egg, and tofu in a thick stew. Perfect with steaming white rice.