Back to Kotobuki Japanese Restaurant#01-16, ZhongShan Mall, 20 Ah...

pickledpeas
 • 27 May 2014 127 reviews 5 followers
Overall
For the full review with pictures, see here.

This is a Japanese restaurant in Zhongshan Park with reasonable prices and average to decent Japanese food.

Ordered my favourite Japanese food item here – dashimaki tamago. Not as good as Rakuichi’s, but decent enough.

The Yaki Gyoza were bad – skin too thick, hardly crisped, filling was not fresh. Oh well! Now you know.

We had this lovely grilled mentaiko cheese potato which is the first of its kind I’ve ever had and it’s delicious! I know Singaporeans don’t really like carb-y starters but this was really worth it.

The Yakisoba was also rather nice – springy noodles with a good serving of red ginger, chicken, and eggs.

They have a really extensive menu, somewhat like Shin Kushiya, which features a whole lot of skewers. We ordered the skewer platter, out of which the best skewers were the chicken wing one, which is excellent with a drizzle of lemon juice.

We also had the bacon wrapped asparagus, chicken skin, chicken balls, and bacon wrapped enoki. They were perfectly grilled, although I think the yakitori chicken can be better seasoned. Still haven’t found a yakitori seasoning that is better than Tori-Q’s

For dessert we had their crepe cake with chocolate fudge:

It was the first time either of us had ever tried a crepe cake, and we liked it quite a lot! Since then we’ve had the one from Awfully chocolate (very nice), but haven’t yet had a chance to try the famous one that has several flavours like cookies n cream and matcha in the Raffles City basement/Ion basement.

All in all, I really like this place, but it’s not super outstanding as far as Japanese restaurants go. Just that if you are stuck in Zhong Shan park, it’s worth consideration.

pickledpeas
 • 27 May 2014 127 reviews 5 followers
Overall
For the full review with pictures, see here.

This is a Japanese restaurant in Zhongshan Park with reasonable prices (compared to the surrounding restaurants) and average to decent Japanese food.

For dessert we had their crepe cake with chocolate fudge:

runningman
 • 07 Mar 2014 286 reviews 52 followers
Overall
Full Kotobuki review here: http://ivanteh-runningman.blogspot.sg/2014/03/kotobuki.html

Master chef Yanase Ryo of Kotobuki is dedicated to ensuring that only ingredients of the finest quality are served in his restaurants, by a team of well-trained staff. And while I certainly commend the fantastic service of Kotobuki, I feel that I didn't really get enough value for money.

Ambience at Kotobuki is styled after a casual Japanese home, with themes of wood and dark muted colours, contrasted by bright, warm lighting. Furniture is functional and comfortable, and tableware and serving plates are well designed.

The service at Kotobuki is among their high points; staff are professional, polite and courteous, quietly assisting to clear empty plates and top up drinks. However, I find their menu knowledge to be decent at best, having only a surface knowledge of menu items.

Food at Kotobuki is decent, with taste being above average because of the use of quality ingredients. However, I find prices at Kotobuki to be expensive, with a meal for 2 costing well over SGD $100, and we mostly had side dishes / appetizers. Kotobuki won't be my choice for Japanese food, as I can get similar quality at more competitive prices elsewhere.

• Sake Gekkeikan Kyo No Izumi