Review for KPO Cafe Bar

2.9

DessertsFusionPizzaSnacksWestern

22 Feb 2014
Overall

KPO - nice place to chill

I have always been curious about this rooftop bar / lounge that shares the building with Killiney SingPost branch - KPO Cafe Bar.    Interestingly, its name, "KPO", does not stand for the Hokkien version of being nosey ("kaypoh") nor does it stand for "Killiney Post Office" - it is actually the initials for its location, being situated at the intersection between Killiney Road, Penang Road and Orchard Road.   So, this little cafe bar boosts of a totally chilled ambience - unpretentious, relaxing and simply-decorated. I always try to snag a seat on level 2 - the rooftop bar that looks more classic and romantic. The music may be a little loud though, but for the patrons, it was probably what we needed exactly - something to lose ourselves in. The DJs are pretty good. It provides the ideal place for friends to gather for drinks and bites,or colleagues to unwind after a long day's work.   That night, Sylvia* and I decided to chill out there, and we were fortunate enough to get a seat at the rooftop balcony that I preferred. Outside here, music was not as loud, and we could chat over drinks, food and a cosy alfresco ambience.   Besides my Mapu Cabernet Sauvignon and her Somersby Apple Cider, we shared a variety of snacks.   First there was a Wasabi Prawns - tasted like they were stir-fried? Succulent and bouncy in texture, basked in the tantalizing flavors of spicy-wasabi - this is a must have for prawn lovers. They made for the perfect snacks as each prawn was shelled and bite-sized.    The Pork Cubes -coated lightly with flour / biscuits, fried to a perfect crispiness. The overall texture is crispy, firm, but not hard. The taste was a light saltiness that sat well on the tongues, and I loved the bite-sized cubes as well,  so easy to eat.   For more detailed information and photos, please drop by: http://thearcticstar.blogspot.sg/2013/12/chilling-out-at-kpo-cafe-bar.html
anything alcoholic, pork cube

More reviews of KPO Cafe Bar

Crowded

KPO is a place for friends to hang out and have drinks and finger food over the weekends or after work. It also offers a range of main courses and dishes if you plan to have a meal there as well. While having a drink with your associates, you might also want to try a cigar or two as they have them on sale as well. Despite its really large area and extensive seating place, this place is really crowded and packed, especially during weekends and it would do good for you to make a reservation or come earlier before the peak periods to get a sit first. They do play some ok music now and then. However, the service level of their staff could be better.

Gastronomic Cafe Bar Experience

[MEDIA INVITE] For the full review, click here:

KPO Cafe Bar is a landmark Cafe Bar located in the middle of Orchard Road which intersect with Killeney Road. KPO is a abbreviation of Killiney Post Office, the Cafe Bar located beside a full functioning Singapore Post Office.

A must-try dish here is KPO Hokkien Mee ($16). Cooked in traditional way, KPO Hokkien Mee distinguish itself by using premium ingredients. The stock are robust and well absorbed by the springy yellow noodle and thick bee hoon. The wok hei (breath of the wok) brought out the aroma in this dish, that made you salivate when it reach the table. The prawns, cuttlefish and pork lard are fresh, crunchy and light. I did not try the chilli, but the other bloggers gave it a thumbs-up so it must be good.

Combining the bakery expertise from their sister restaurant, Nassim Hill, Wagyu Capsule ($25) made everyone go gaga during in the evening. Who can say NO to crispy Fresh baguette, stuffed with “melt in your mouth” grilled Wagyu Beef Cubes. To bind the wagyu beef and baguette, KPO combine dijon mustard, mayo, roasted garlic and jalapeños. All the ingredients work harmoniously and you will be in sandwich heaven when you bit into this Wagyu capsule.

For a good tapas size version of protein, you should try Wagyu Beef Cubes ($32). Wagyu Beef Cubes was simply grilled to perfection and served with sea salt. It allow the quality Wagyu to speak for itself, where you can enjoy the marbling of the beef as it melts away in your mouth. I just wish if there are some lemon wedges, where a bit of acidity will elevate this dish further.

However, my pick for the pork dish here will be Sliced Yorkshire Pork ($18). It was charbroiled to perfection, simple seasoning and allow the quality of the ingredient to shine. The sliced pork has a good balance between marbling and meat, resulting in a succulent sliced pork. I called it a Porkgasm!!!

For the sweet ending, I suggest that we tried Chips 'n' Cream ($14). The chips are fresh house made, topped with Vanilla Bean ice cream and salted caramel sauce. The sweet and salty combination was simply yummy. The chips was crispy and remain crispy till the end, the salted caramel and ice cream was just so addictive, you can't really stop. I did consider asking for second serving, but I decided otherwise, so I have something to look forward to when I return in the future. Definitely a must have dessert here, apparently it is also Sam's Favourite (the owner).

Overall, the food in KPO is definitely good, most of the food items we tried are a hit. Considering the quality of the food, I think the price is reasonable. Though I will not suggest you come here for romantic dinner, however it is definitely a place to chill out during the night. I sure look forward to my next visit here. Cheers!!

Thank you very much to HungryGoWhere and KPO team for the tasting invitation.

Overall

Who wouldn’t K-PO at KPO?

For my full review & more pics [ CLICK HERE ]

KPO (café bar), a nice cozy watering hole in the middle of the Orchard Road precinct, offering a good variety of liquid diets for grown-ups, as well as a host of notable snacks and food to satiate palates. Here are some special mentions...

Pork Cubes (with in-house special sauce) – Once I sank my teeth into the first cube, the rest is history. And as for the special sauce, I refused for it to be cleared from the table, so I could use it later for other bites.

KPO Hokkien Mee – lives up to its name for being among their signatures. The squid is juicy tender with a good bounce, never rubberlike. The prawn is big and succulent, not flakey. The noodles exudes the natural sweetness of the seafood, and most importantly, they don’t clump. Generous topping of crispy pork lard cubes holds weight for what this dish is worth.

Wagyu Capsule – medium rare wagyu cubes, stuffed into a baguette from Nassim Hill Bakery. Now, I have rediscovered reasons to indulge in bread, apart from being complemented with curry. I’d urge all meat lovers to give this a shot, and I’ve a good feeling that you’d be back for lots more.

Wagyu Beef Cubes – if I had a ring, I’d put a ring on it. Bite sized wagyu, medium rare, I could really go all night munching on this. Love at first bite.

And I’m resolute about continued revisits, because I find the quality to be worth every penny, and I believe many like me, would too.
Overall

The perfect chilling out spot

Killiney Post Office (KPO) Cafe Bar has been a favorite hangout of mine for a while. I enjoyed basking in the lovely ambience, impeccable service and listening to the fabulous live band belting out music of my favorite era, while muhching on good bar grub and sipping cocktails.

The Chocolate Lah Martini (SGD$20.00) was concocted from Valrhona Chocolate, Absolut Vodka, cream and marshmallow - a tantalising drink packed with punch and luscious richness.

The signature KPO Hokkien Mee (SGD$16.00) - the more luxurious version of our local delight, cooked the traditional way with pork lard, laden with goodness such as prawns, squids, pork belly strips, and yellow and white noodles. Every bite was tasty, filled with very sufficient "wok air" (aka "wok hey") - the quality used to measure a good zichar dish. The noodles were springy, and there was enough gravy to keep the dish moistened yet not soggy. Cravings for this kicked in the very next day onwards.

Then Not-A-Ramlee-Burger (SGD$17.00) made its way to us, standing tall and bursting with delicacy within the toasted homemade sesame buns - the signature sliced Yorkshire pork was piled high with lettuce, fried over-easy egg, mayo, chopped pickles and a touch of Sriracha chili; fries were served on the side. It resembled the ramly burger in certain ways, but the Yorkshire pork upped the status of this huge burger. Tender, and exploding with different types of texture, making this an almost fun dish to devour; I especially loved how the distinctive "egg-y" flavour contrasted with the duller flavour of the pork, heightened by the Sriracha.

The Wagyu Beef Cubes (SGD$32.00) were so good, we had two plates of them. 200grams of Wagyu beef cubes grilled to perfection and served with sea salt - the meat was nearly melty, utterly succulent and juicy; the natural flavour of beef was marked with smokey hints, and was especially becoming when dabbed with a little sea salt.

Dessert was the Chips 'n' Cream (SGD$14.00), another innovative addiction made up of vanilla bean ice-cream, house-made fresh potato chips and salted caramel sauce. Between the crisps and the coldness, between the saltiness and the sweetness, every mouthful was exciting and a new experience. The house-made chips were crispy and yet fleshy- you would taste the potato goodness literally. Most of us fell head over heels in love with this dish.

For full review and more detailed information, please feel free to visit:

Overall a bad experience

Made a reservation at 7. Arrived 10 mins earlier, and was asked to stand at the recep waiting for 5 mins. Fair enough as i was early.
 Ordered steak & eggs and pizza. Waiter got our order wrong, even though i asked him whether we need to choose how cooked we wanted the steak to be. ( He thought it was just a sandwich). Food only came after a long long time. Pizza was ok.. Steak & eggs was well done when actually requested for Medium.
 Requested for the bill. And it took 20 mins to come.Checking the receipt, we were charged the wrong order that was being brought to us. Flagged out to the waiter, and it was another 20 mins of waiting.

Overall, a bad experience.
Management response from KPO Cafe Bar, published 10 Jun 2015
Dear EvelynCY, Thank you for dining with us at KPO Café Bar. We will like extend our sincere apologies to you for your bad experience. Providing our guests with the best possible quality of food and service has always been our mission. Based on your poor experience, can we please offer you a complimentary meal for you and your guest? Please contact Audrey Liu at 9647 2875 our business development manager to make a reservation. We will also look into this matter as we truly value your feedback. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We definitely hope to serve you better the next time. Yours sincerely, The Management KPO Café Bar