Reviews for Kwong Satay (Geylang)

AsianSnacks
The Hungry Bunny

Excellent

See the photos at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/03/kwong-satay-geylang-lor-29.html

Excellent satay here. Both the pork and chicken ones are must-trys.  They are well-marinated, imbued with a smoky char and dripping with juices.

The pork, leaner than the chicken, was balanced out with layers of artery-clogging fat slivers. These were all so good, I actually didn't quite realize I wasn't dipping them in the rather generic satay gravy.

If I had to choose, and it's a difficult one, my vote would go to the chicken satay: more succulent, sans the guilt-inducing stark fat slivers.
20 Mar 2014 • 579 reviews • 21 followers

Excellent

17 Jul 2013 • 13 reviews • 0 follower

I eat satay, therefore ayam satay

I looked at my plate with trepidation and thought “thank goodness this is only a pre-dinner snack” - 10 very small chicken skewers, next to some cucumber and a bowl of odd looking peanut sauce.  “Surely this is not what all the hype is about?” Picking up a skewer, I rolled it slowly and purposefully through the peanut sauce until it was well coated.  Contemplating how to tackle it, I decided on shoving the entire stick into my mouth, as if devouring it in one hit would add substance to what I was eating and end the entire ordeal sooner. I was shocked when the juice of the meat shot into my mouth as I bit into it.  The meat was perfectly cooked and wonderfully succulent, with the juices complementing the sweet and zesty peanut sauce, which I then realised was blended with pineapple (hence the odd look).  Simply delectable! I have since discovered that the peanut and pineapple sauce is a Peranakan-inspired recipe. I have also since discovered that the specialty of Kwong Satay in Geylang, the hawker stall responsible for this delicious dish, is actually pork belly satay, followed by pork (babi) satay.  So I will be back!
For more information on other food options in Singapore, see http://singaporehawker.wordpress.com/
chicken, pork and mutton satay with ketupat
23 Feb 2012 • 408 reviews • 13 followers

Cheap and delicious

We couldn’t leave the coffeeshop without having a go at the satay stall so K proceeded to order 10 sticks to share after wolfing down the hokkien mee.

Both chicken and pork cost $0.40 while mutton was $0.50 per stick. We added ketupat at $0.50 for good measure.

Boy! The meat was very tender, resplendent with a tantalizing smokiness in addition to a delectably sweetish marinade. The ketupat was fragrant but too bad the peanut gravy was a little weak. The crushed pineapple didn’t really work for us but a spicier version would’ve us swooning with joy.

Despite the lacklustre gravy, we enjoyed the satay tremendously which was a mere $4.80 in total. Cheap and delicious!

The stall also offers premium pork belly satay. Probably next time…