Summary

pizza, lemon tart, pastas, Parma ham pizza, parma ham with rock melon, Cocode pizza, Lamb shank, Red Snapper (which is not in the usual menu), biscotti, chocolate tart, cod fish, lamb, risotto, Caprese, Rigatoni, Roast Cod fish, Set Lunch, spicy prawn fettuccine, squid ink pizza, tenderloin steak, tiramisu, veal ossobucco with saffron risotto View all
Dinner, Quiet, After Work, Lunch, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Chillout, Hidden Find, Girls Night Out, Private Dining, Brunch, Take Away, Wine Lists, Fine Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Business Dining, Healthy Eating, Vibrant/Noisy, Corporate Events, Supper, Vegetarians View all

Excellent service and food

My most recent trip to La Nonna at Holland Village left me very impressed with both the service and the food. The waiters were extremely hospitable and quick to attend to us throughout our meals. We had 2 pizzas and 2 pastas to share among the 4 of us and it was nothing short of satisfactory meal. All the dishes were exquisite and my friends and I cannot wait to be back for more!

Most helpful reviews for La Nonna (Namly Place)

La Nonna La Nonsense

La Nonna, meaning the grandmother in Italian, really should buck up. I went there last night, and boy, was the food and service bad!!! I thought the food should at least have been passable. I was sadly mistaken. We had the mixed seafood platter and pork ribs, as well as the custard cream tart (which had a very fanciful, hocus pocus name on the menu, so as to impress). The initial impression was horribly deceitful. They piled my plate with lots of crab shells and prawn heads, but there was hardly any meat on them. So my initial impression was that they had given me large portions, but in the end, I had to scrape the shells for any smidgen of meat.The so-called pork ribs were even worse. Needless to say, we were hungry beyond measure. We compensated by filling up on alot of bread. La Nonna serves a huge quantity of pizza-like and normal bread. Doubtless, Dawn's cynical side thinks, to fill hungry people up, since their food portions are so inadequate. The only thing good about this place is the bread, period. But if I really wanted to eat good bread, I might as well go to Subway.

Oh, and the dessert!!?! It tasted like soap powder. I kid you not...it tasted awfully like the soap powder for my clothes. The custard cream also had barely any sweetness to it. Probably the chef forgot to add sugar. Am fed up that I squandered my weekly quantum of sugary stuff on this.

I don't know whether it was because we went at 9 pm, and hence stocks were sold out (which explains why they gave us a bunch of shells and bones for our dinner) but really, that's no excuse. And the waiters were dead-lost too...they forgot our dessert, forgot to pour water for us a couple of times, and we had to go and chase them for service. They seemed to like crowding behind the bar counter, all four of them, which is no good, cos it comes across as trying to "siam".

My seafood platter was $24, and the pork ribs were $20. Ordinarily I'd say this is reasonable, but had you seen the tiny amount of meat they yielded, you would agree with me that this was a total, nutty rip-off.

This is a good example of one of those places that pretend to be fine-dining places but are actually really bad wannabes. Apparently, this restaurant is by Senso. I'm surprised that Senso doesn't do more quality control. I'm not impressed by the main-branch Senso, but at least it's alright. They had better do a serious re-think of this little offshoot of theirs.

Neighbourhood Chillout

A friend of mine received a coupon for a free magherita pizza so it was a no brainer that we decided to have a meal there. I am not a big fan of pizzas, but I must say that the oven-baked pizza with its thin crust is worth a try.

For dessert I tried the tiramisu but it was normal and nothing much to shout about.

The one thing though that I really like about this place is the ambience and surrounding. Whilst it would not be easy for one to find the place, it is in a very quiet neighbourhood away from the hustling and bustling of life and it is a great place to chill out on a weekend afternoon, looking at people walking thier dogs to the nearby vet and enjoying the afternoon weather. Perhaps it might make sense to just have an afternoon coffee here if you are not an Italian foodie.