Parma ham pizza3 votes
Vegetarians3 votes

Monkey23
 • 14 Jan 2013 1 review 0 follower
Overall
My wife and I have visited La Nonna since 07. Its been a place where many good memories have been forged through the years, especially because both of us love Italian food.

This is my first time as a reviewer, and sadly, I am doing so because of the disappointment in the service that I was given.

I called La Nonna at 150pm today asking what time would lunch be served till. I was told 215pm would be the last order. I arrived at 209pm (as shown on my cellphone) and I was told by the captain that the kitchen was closed and that I could only order a take-away.

To my horror, their clock read 214pm, and what was worse, there were at least three tables with plenty of food remaining. It was ironic that the kitchen was closed but I could still order a takeaway and there were still customers chatting away with their food almost left untouched.

My complains aside, La Nonna is still one of the better Italian restaurants around due to its quality and affordability.

We love the Prosciutto e Rucola (parma ham and rocket salad pizza) and have been to many Italian joints trying the same pizza. La Nonna keeps the pizza base free of oil, which means - 1. it isnt sagging as you hold the pizza 2. it is crispy as it enters your mouth 3. you can taste the flavours of the pizza better. The preserved parma ham is not too salty and it forms a mouth watering combination when consumed with the fresh rocket salad and cheese slices.

The Rigatoni is now a wild boar ragout, which used to be a oxtail ragout. Difference in meat aside, the stew has maintained its standard  over the years, full of flavour yet not too salty. The portion of meat is generous as well, a must-have for a meat lover!

The other dishes are pretty much the usual Italian fare, value for money with a good level of quality. But it must be mentioned that the quality has been on the decline over the years, and it is tragic that the service is now missing as well.

When are you coming home, Grandma?

Must tries: Parma ham pizza, Rigatoni, Caprese

After Work, Anniversary, Brunch, Night Out

dlrr
 • 18 Apr 2012 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Part of the Spizza group (i think), I've been to this place 4 - 5 times in the past year. Each time my wife and I has always left pleased.

The missus is a big fan of the mushroom soup. It's hearty and hits all the right spots for me. Don't expect an epiphany here, it is just mushroom soup afterall, but a well balanced and very tasty mushroom soup is sadly a rare commodity these days.

Pasta's pretty decent too. The oxtail ragout fettucine is a big winner for me. I've had that almost every time I've gone there and wasn't once disappointed (apart from one time where the sauce was just lacking a little of its usual oomph)

Desserts are not bad and in line with the rest of the restaurant, pretty consistent.

The restaurant was only served by 2 servers so getting their attention can require some patience, but I've found their servers to be friendly and efficient.

Another good thing about this place, parking is seldom a problem given it's the only restaurant there. That being said, it's a horror to get to by public transport.

Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, Vibrant/Noisy

omgggsohungry
 • 15 Apr 2012 27 reviews 0 follower
Overall
look here for more: http://omgsohungry.wordpress.com

I loveeee Italian food!! It’s one of my favourite cuisines. This place uses fresh pasta for some of their dishes, which is awesome! Be sure to ask. Make sure you come for lunch to take advantage of the promotion - it's really worth eating here during lunch since lunch/ dinner menus are the same.

Anyway here’s La Nonna! Please head to the one at Namly Place, the food and service there is better. Best if you have a car. If you don’t, just take a 6-minute walk down Namly Avenue to get your stomach ready for a very homely Italianooo experience!!

They used to have a 50% off promotion for lunch which was VERY WORTH IT but it’s now changed to buy one main course, get one appetizer or dessert free. Less of a promotion if you’re a small eater, but good enough for the big ones.

I picked Vongole ($18) as an appetizer. Sauteed clams in white wine sauce, garlic and herbs. This was a bit too oily and buttery for my liking. Clams weren’t fantastic either. And my very silly friend hahaha did not want to share any of this so eating the whole pot of it is not very fun. Will try the Carpaccio next time!!

My main was Homemade Pappardelle with Chicken Liver and Black Truffle Sauce ($19). Yep you heard it, chicken liver!! Was feeling very adventurous that day. The pasta was cooked al dente, and it goes really well with the black truffle sauce, which was both fragrant and slightly smoky. Chicken liver… I don’t think you should all of it on the plate but it’s an interesting addition!

Friend had the Carbonara, which is just your typical carbonara. I forgot to take a picture I think he was too hungry! If you want a simple pasta dish not on the menu, just request and they’ll gladly whip it up.

Alternatively you can try their signature La Nonna Pizza – asparagus, mozzarella, parmesan, a sunny side up – it’s really interesting!

To round things off, this is the standard Tiramisu ($12). Should have ordered the cheese platter ($16) hahaha I am so indecisive. Most tiramisus taste of the same standard to me, I can’t remember how this was! But it’s more worth it than the tarts imo, those tarts are tiny and bite sized.

Okay way too many words. Bon Appetit!!!

Lunch, Romance/First Dates, Chillout, Quiet, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining