Summary

pizza, lemon tart, pastas, Parma ham pizza, parma ham with rock melon, Cocode pizza, Lamb shank, Red Snapper (which is not in the usual menu), biscotti, chocolate tart, cod fish, lamb, risotto, Caprese, Rigatoni, Roast Cod fish, Set Lunch, spicy prawn fettuccine, squid ink pizza, tenderloin steak, tiramisu, veal ossobucco with saffron risotto View all
Dinner, Quiet, After Work, Lunch, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Chillout, Hidden Find, Girls Night Out, Private Dining, Brunch, Take Away, Wine Lists, Fine Dining, Large Groups/Gathering, Business Dining, Healthy Eating, Vibrant/Noisy, Corporate Events, Supper, Vegetarians View all

Excellent service and food

My most recent trip to La Nonna at Holland Village left me very impressed with both the service and the food. The waiters were extremely hospitable and quick to attend to us throughout our meals. We had 2 pizzas and 2 pastas to share among the 4 of us and it was nothing short of satisfactory meal. All the dishes were exquisite and my friends and I cannot wait to be back for more!

Most helpful reviews for La Nonna (Namly Place)

Unexpected place

My friend suggested a place call La Nonna at namly place for dinner. The place is hard to find if you don’t use the GPS; there is no signage to direct you. It was in a landed property estate out from the main road. I believe only the resident and those who patronize there before know this place. There is no public transport to reach the place; it is only accessible to those who drive. Don’t have to worry about the packing; you can park along the road side.

We are lucky that we are there early, the seat was limited, reservation is a must to avoid disappointment, I saw a few customers who walk away disappointing and few willing to wait outside for the seat (I understand why, because the food is great).

The interior of the restaurant was nice and cozy; the music was not too loud, but the air-conditioning needs improvement.

We were shown to our seat with the politeness of the waiter, the menu was simple but the chief did come out a few new dishes daily off the menu. The waiter recommended a few dishes with detail of the way it was cook. This help us the have a view of the choices we have. We order Calamari, Red snapper and grill rip-eye steak, the food was nicely cook, the environment was great, you do not feel the rashness of our normally city life. It was so comfy that we love to stay longer but I order not to deprive other of the same luxury (due to the limited seat, and there is others waiting to be seated) we have to leave.

Overall, it is a great place to have a relaxing meal, the waiter are pleasant and attentive. No regret hunting for this place.

Six&Seven reviews La Nonna

For photos, please visit Six&Seven.

The parents were out of town and I was in-charge of babysitting the siblings. This, of course, meant that I was free to plan meals for the little monsters. Feeling like something Italian that lovely afternoon, I was immediately drawn to La Nonna, in a glossy page of the magazine, with their promises of a revamped menu and 1-for-1 promotion. Hey, who am I to let go of such a good deal?

La Nonna will probably familiar to foodies living in Bukit Timah area with its longstanding first outlet at Namly Place. While finding my way to the establishment proved uneventful—thank the inventors of in-built GPS—parking or people travelling via public transport may find some troubles. It’s just lanes & lanes of private houses, but I was lucky enough to find an available parallel parking spot right in front of the restaurant.

Meaning ‘the grandmother’ in Italian, the restaurant was just I’d expected it to be; warm, lively and unpretentious, this would probably be how I envisioned my grandmother’s restaurant to be – should she be both Italian and in the F&B industry. Reservations are definitely recommended if you want a seat indoors – there are a few outdoor tables, but I do like my air-conditioning.

As with all Italian restaurants, olive oil and balsamic vinegar are must-have condiments, and definitely much appreciated to pair with the selection of warm breads, which I forgot to ask if they were baked in-house. While the balsamic vinegar was not as aged as I’d like—it didn’t possess the richness and viscosity that I favoured—it was still good as a dip for the baked carbohydrates.

What I like about the Calamari ($16) was how very lightly battered they were—it looked almost like a serving of skinny onion rings—which really allowed the taste of squid to shine through, rather than buried by the taste of oil or batter. It isn’t as crisp as actual onion rings, but that’s understandable due to the lighter coat of batter.

Taking full advantage of the 1-for-1, we also shared the Insalata Della Nonna ($17). The mix of garden greens, gorgonzola cheese, egg, black olives, cherry tomatoes and avocado in white balsamic vinaigrette wasn’t much to shout about – I did enjoy the beautifully, slightly runny eggs, and piquant black olives though – I have no idea why I always shoot for salads, except for the perception that it’s going be make my overall meal ‘healthier’.

Their signature pizza, the La Nonna ($20) arrived halfway through our starters—they’d messed up the orders and fired it up earlier—but the staff was very apologetic about it, and I didn’t see the need to kick a big fuss.

The Neapolitan pizza (not as well-executed as the ones I enjoyed at Extra Virgin Pizza) with a thin crust that ranged from soft, sloppy centre to a stiff, crisp edge, coupled with a runny egg on top, meant that folding to eat it proved to be basically impossible. The black truffle ingredient, blended in what seems to be a cream of mushroom sauce, was pretty mild, but was enhanced slightly by Mozzarella and Parmesan.

The last time I’d had a crab meat linguini was at a Da Paolo, and I loved it, so I obviously went for it when I saw a similar item on the menu here! While it doesn’t look like much in the pictures, the Linguine  ($20) was executed perfectly. The tomato cream sauce is rich, yet light enough to let the fresh and adequately-portioned crab meat shine. Plating could be improved, but this definitely met my expectations.

I firmly believe a meal isn’t complete without desserts – and you should believe my huge appetite by now. The Gelato ($11) is an ultra sinful serving of the day’s available flavours. That afternoon, we were treated to a rich Vanilla Bean, a Pistachio that was light enough to disguise as a ‘Green Tea’, and a base of smooth Chocolate. A sure-fire way to a sugar high, or ‘Fat Hell’.

The Cioccolata ($13), an oven-baked dark chocolate tart, was obviously a pre-prepared dessert that was rapidly heated up right before serving, as apparent from the slightly burnt edges and slightly colder centre. Who’s to say they didn’t do it on purpose—I can hardly believe I’m saying this—but the burnt parts actually enhanced its flavours! For diners who are bored of a vanilla ice cream pairing, the tart raspberry and gooseberry dressings also make a good team with the rich, dark chocolate.

PS. Their 1-for-1 promotion is still available for weekday lunches. Do check out their $22, 3-course weekday lunch sets that change on a weekly basis.

The management of La Nonna (Namly Place) responded to this review:
21 Feb 2012
Hi there Six & Seven,

You sure have put a smile on our faces with your review!

The honest, detailed review has definitely been encouraging and of course, constructive in aiding our pursuit of improving our food & service.

We have shared your feedback with the culinary team at La Nonna to take note of what needs sprucing and what's working just fine.

Thank you for taking the time to review La Nonna. We do hope you will swing by again some time soon.

Regards,
The La Nonna Team

Service staff is only nice to non-Singaporeans (yea, you get what i mean)

I was waiting for my sister to pick me up after sending my pet to the vet next door. I sat outside and decided to order just latte while waiting. Throughout the order process (which is a very short one), I could already feel the bad attitude of the service staff. When footing the bill, I asked if I could pay by credit card. I was expecting a no since I only ordered coffee and it amounts to less than $10.

To my dismay, the service staff answered rudely 'No'. I came from a hospitality and tourism background and have done plenty of F&B work. A straight 'no' to the customer is an absolute NO NO. Whats more, his tone was pretty bad.

Later, I noticed that he was so polite to the family of Caucasians in front of me.

Totally disappointed with such service from a nice restaurant.

Please pay now, some more guest have arrived

The food was as always great, but tonight we have been the last time in this restaurant.

We booked our table for 7pm, 3 Pax. We enjoyed our food, drinks and dessert. Around 8.10pm we have been asked to pay and leave, as the next lot of guests have arrived.

We just spend 170 SGD for 3 people!

The waitress then had the nerve to tell us that we should not feel offended.

This is offensive, and I would like to ask to be contacted and my total food bill to be refunded.

We never ever have been treated in singapore so low. A place to forget.

Good food but very bad service

We were at La Nonna last night to celebrate a friend's birthday. The venue was suggested by the birthday girl so we decided to give it a try. When it was time to order, the waiter (dressed in a long sleeve white shirt and jeans) came over to take our orders.

We asked if there was any special for the appetisers and the waiter replied "pork sausage and scallop", to which we asked if it was 2 separate dishes or a dish on it own. He then told us its separate. So we asked how was the scallop done, and he replied "grilled". And we asked what does it come with, and he replied "asparagus la. its an appetiser you know". We were shocked at his rude attitude but decided to dismiss it. We proceeded to order the scallop with asparagus, and for the main course, we ordered the Cocode pizza (chicken sausage with fresh shitake mushrooms), Rib eye steak and Linguine with crab and tomato basil sauce.

When the appetiser arrived, we realised its seared scallop, not grilled, but anyhow, it was delicious. The main courses were all great, the pizza was thin crust with generous amount of toppings, and the linguine also had a generous serving of crab meat. The rib eye steak was ok, nothing special in particular.

Halfway through our meal, the same waiter came over to top up our ice water. And to our horror, one of our water was filled to the brim. so much so that if we were to pick up the glass, it would definitely have spilt all over the table. At this point in time we were getting bit frustrated at his lack of service. When the same waiter came over to clear our plates, we asked if he could kindly get us a new glass of water as this glass was too full, he mumbled "the ice must have melted", and after which he picked up the glass, and proceeded to pour out some of the water onto one of the plate he was holding and put the glass of water back on the table and said "now its not too full". We were lost for words... and what turned out to be a nice cosy birthday dinner was completely ruined by his bad service or lack of.

We wanted to try the tiramisu for desert but the bad service turned us off and we asked for the bill. The manager came over to pass us the bill and we explained the whole situation to him. He then apologised on behalf of the waiter. Even though the food was great, I don't think we would want to patronise the restaurant for fear of being horrified again.