Parma ham pizza3 votes
Vegetarians3 votes

William Wong 459
 • 25 Feb 2012 1 review 2 followers
Overall
My friend suggested a place call La Nonna at namly place for dinner. The place is hard to find if you don’t use the GPS; there is no signage to direct you. It was in a landed property estate out from the main road. I believe only the resident and those who patronize there before know this place. There is no public transport to reach the place; it is only accessible to those who drive. Don’t have to worry about the packing; you can park along the road side.

We are lucky that we are there early, the seat was limited, reservation is a must to avoid disappointment, I saw a few customers who walk away disappointing and few willing to wait outside for the seat (I understand why, because the food is great).

The interior of the restaurant was nice and cozy; the music was not too loud, but the air-conditioning needs improvement.

We were shown to our seat with the politeness of the waiter, the menu was simple but the chief did come out a few new dishes daily off the menu. The waiter recommended a few dishes with detail of the way it was cook. This help us the have a view of the choices we have. We order Calamari, Red snapper and grill rip-eye steak, the food was nicely cook, the environment was great, you do not feel the rashness of our normally city life. It was so comfy that we love to stay longer but I order not to deprive other of the same luxury (due to the limited seat, and there is others waiting to be seated) we have to leave.

Overall, it is a great place to have a relaxing meal, the waiter are pleasant and attentive. No regret hunting for this place.

Must tries: Red Snapper (which is not in the usual menu)

Lunch, Dinner, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Business Dining, Fine Dining, After Work, Private Dining, Quiet

Six & Seven
 • 09 Feb 2012 68 reviews 2 followers
Overall
For photos, please visit Six&Seven.

The parents were out of town and I was in-charge of babysitting the siblings. This, of course, meant that I was free to plan meals for the little monsters. Feeling like something Italian that lovely afternoon, I was immediately drawn to La Nonna, in a glossy page of the magazine, with their promises of a revamped menu and 1-for-1 promotion. Hey, who am I to let go of such a good deal?

La Nonna will probably familiar to foodies living in Bukit Timah area with its longstanding first outlet at Namly Place. While finding my way to the establishment proved uneventful—thank the inventors of in-built GPS—parking or people travelling via public transport may find some troubles. It’s just lanes & lanes of private houses, but I was lucky enough to find an available parallel parking spot right in front of the restaurant.

Meaning ‘the grandmother’ in Italian, the restaurant was just I’d expected it to be; warm, lively and unpretentious, this would probably be how I envisioned my grandmother’s restaurant to be – should she be both Italian and in the F&B industry. Reservations are definitely recommended if you want a seat indoors – there are a few outdoor tables, but I do like my air-conditioning.

As with all Italian restaurants, olive oil and balsamic vinegar are must-have condiments, and definitely much appreciated to pair with the selection of warm breads, which I forgot to ask if they were baked in-house. While the balsamic vinegar was not as aged as I’d like—it didn’t possess the richness and viscosity that I favoured—it was still good as a dip for the baked carbohydrates.

What I like about the Calamari ($16) was how very lightly battered they were—it looked almost like a serving of skinny onion rings—which really allowed the taste of squid to shine through, rather than buried by the taste of oil or batter. It isn’t as crisp as actual onion rings, but that’s understandable due to the lighter coat of batter.

Taking full advantage of the 1-for-1, we also shared the Insalata Della Nonna ($17). The mix of garden greens, gorgonzola cheese, egg, black olives, cherry tomatoes and avocado in white balsamic vinaigrette wasn’t much to shout about – I did enjoy the beautifully, slightly runny eggs, and piquant black olives though – I have no idea why I always shoot for salads, except for the perception that it’s going be make my overall meal ‘healthier’.

Their signature pizza, the La Nonna ($20) arrived halfway through our starters—they’d messed up the orders and fired it up earlier—but the staff was very apologetic about it, and I didn’t see the need to kick a big fuss.

The Neapolitan pizza (not as well-executed as the ones I enjoyed at Extra Virgin Pizza) with a thin crust that ranged from soft, sloppy centre to a stiff, crisp edge, coupled with a runny egg on top, meant that folding to eat it proved to be basically impossible. The black truffle ingredient, blended in what seems to be a cream of mushroom sauce, was pretty mild, but was enhanced slightly by Mozzarella and Parmesan.

The last time I’d had a crab meat linguini was at a Da Paolo, and I loved it, so I obviously went for it when I saw a similar item on the menu here! While it doesn’t look like much in the pictures, the Linguine  ($20) was executed perfectly. The tomato cream sauce is rich, yet light enough to let the fresh and adequately-portioned crab meat shine. Plating could be improved, but this definitely met my expectations.

I firmly believe a meal isn’t complete without desserts – and you should believe my huge appetite by now. The Gelato ($11) is an ultra sinful serving of the day’s available flavours. That afternoon, we were treated to a rich Vanilla Bean, a Pistachio that was light enough to disguise as a ‘Green Tea’, and a base of smooth Chocolate. A sure-fire way to a sugar high, or ‘Fat Hell’.

The Cioccolata ($13), an oven-baked dark chocolate tart, was obviously a pre-prepared dessert that was rapidly heated up right before serving, as apparent from the slightly burnt edges and slightly colder centre. Who’s to say they didn’t do it on purpose—I can hardly believe I’m saying this—but the burnt parts actually enhanced its flavours! For diners who are bored of a vanilla ice cream pairing, the tart raspberry and gooseberry dressings also make a good team with the rich, dark chocolate.

PS. Their 1-for-1 promotion is still available for weekday lunches. Do check out their $22, 3-course weekday lunch sets that change on a weekly basis.

Lunch, Children/Family, Vibrant/Noisy

Management

Hi there Six & Seven,

You sure have put a smile on our faces with your review!

The honest, detailed review has definitely been encouraging and of course, constructive in aiding our pursuit of improving our food & service.

We have shared your feedback with the culinary team at La Nonna to take note of what needs sprucing and what's working just fine.

Thank you for taking the time to review La Nonna. We do hope you will swing by again some time soon.

Regards,

The La Nonna Team

21 February 2012

st Chia
 • 01 Sep 2011 1 review 0 follower
Overall
I was waiting for my sister to pick me up after sending my pet to the vet next door. I sat outside and decided to order just latte while waiting. Throughout the order process (which is a very short one), I could already feel the bad attitude of the service staff. When footing the bill, I asked if I could pay by credit card. I was expecting a no since I only ordered coffee and it amounts to less than $10.

To my dismay, the service staff answered rudely 'No'. I came from a hospitality and tourism background and have done plenty of F&B work. A straight 'no' to the customer is an absolute NO NO. Whats more, his tone was pretty bad.

Later, I noticed that he was so polite to the family of Caucasians in front of me.

Totally disappointed with such service from a nice restaurant.

Dinner, Chillout