Reviews for La Nonna (Namly Place)

3.5

EuropeanItalianWestern
Address: 76 Namly Place, 267226

+65 6884 6884
10 Mar 2015

Excellent service and food

My most recent trip to La Nonna at Holland Village left me very impressed with both the service and the food. The waiters were extremely hospitable and quick to attend to us throughout our meals. We had 2 pizzas and 2 pastas to share among the 4 of us and it was nothing short of satisfactory meal. All the dishes were exquisite and my friends and I cannot wait to be back for more!
pizza, pastas

More reviews of La Nonna

Overall

Same food as my Grandma's!

Went there with a couple of friends and their kid, and we were amazed by the excellence in simplicity found there.

Great typical homely food, nice ambience, good service, just nice!
Overall

Good Food, Good Service, plus damn good promotion.

I had lunch at La Nonna Namly last Monday. Patrons I saw were taitais,some Japanese some Caucasians.

After visiting their website, www.lanonna.sg, and seeing how delicious their food looks, plus their homely yet chic style, I decided to visit it. Plus, there was a 1 for 1 Ladies promotion. that's a good deal, that's why we could order more!

Anyways, I had:

Warm bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar-very good, bread was very soft and fragrant. You can tell its freshly baked by its smell and texture.

Smoked Salmon- Good- Atlantic salmon I think. shiok man. Omega 3! good for heart!

Parma Ham with Rock Melon- I really need to highlight this dish. The thinly sliced ham enabled me to taste the texture and unique taste of the ham. Plus, the melon was very fresh and sweet. I never liked rock melons, always thought that their smell was too strong, but the one I had that day was such a lovely combination.

Cod Fish – it was very good because of the fine texture. Probably cooked on low heat as the texture of the fish highlighted the smoothness and it was cooked just right. Sauce was special, light and complimented the fish very well.

Dessert- Lemon cream tart made with fresh Ricotta Cheese- very good too. Reminds me of crème brulee, except that it was better because the lemon cream had the right balance of tanginess yet not too sour, not too sweet, so its just right.

Cheese Platter- Brie cheese, cheddar, Blue cheese and other cheeses were served alongside sliced green apples, alongside was served with biscotti, it had a very good crunchy yet fragrant taste to it.

The server was very enthusiastic and warm, very prompt service, kept filling up my sky juice, and asked how my meal was, he was very sincere to see if the meal can be improved.

All I can say about this place is that is a great place for

dating,

dining,

having fun with friends,

classy yet homely.

Plus, the background music of bossa nova was so right for chilling out!

I’d be coming back here for a date with the boyfriend, give him a surprise with this nice place.

And for my next girls gathering, I know where to book now!

Cheers!

Homely place

The first thing that struck me about this place was that it was rather out of the way. Unless you happen to live in Sixth Ave, which makes it right in your neighbourhood.

Tucked in a row of shophouses opposite some terrace houses, it is not the first place you would think of going for Italian.

But it serves good Italian nosh, albeit in girl sized portions (read: some boys would still be hungry). my oxtail ragout rigatoni was very tasty.

Ambience was good - nicely spaced out tables, and the woodstove (?) behind the counter was interestingly reflected into the mirrors.

The desserts were a tad expensive - my friend paid about $10 for a scoop of gelato the last time she went! I had the warm chocolate cake which was a tad too sweet for me, but at least it came with a tiny but nice scoop of ice cream.

only grouse was that they forgot to give us a bread basket! And we were there so early, like around 6:30pm on a Sat. The crowd only started coming in when we started leaving around 7:45pm...

Very Impressed

I have read some bad reviews on this web site but have always heard good reports from people I know so I have wanted to try this place out for a while.

The restaurant had a lovely look, very simple but pleasant. Sitting outside at night was very nice. We were greeted with a lovely warm bread basket which was delicous with lots of olive oil and balsamic, YUM! The wine, which was recommended by staff was great and everyone was more than happy with their food.

For appetizers we shared Pollo & Formaggio Bruschetta and N had the Insalata Caprese. Pollo bruschetta was quite nice, formaiagoo was ok and N wasn't quite happy with the mozzarella in his dish (although I think it was similar to most mozzarella i try in Singapore).

Everyone loved their mains and devoured them quickly! The cod got good reports, the lamb shanks looked and tasted devine (and everyone was jealous of P for ordering them) and N enjoyed the scallops wrapped in proscuitto (although the portion was a bit small). My risotto was lovely but a little over-seasoned. The portion was also a bit to large for my liking (but others would definitely disagree).

Service was quite good, with ice water and wine being refilled very frequently. Only complaint was our waitress told us the specials when we arrived but didn't repeat them when the rest of our table arrived.

Nice Ambience but Not so for the Food

The restaurant is situated in a quiet neighbourhood in district 10. Have to give it to them for the locale and decor; restaurant has a real cozy feel.

Anyway, my group ordered calamari and a La Nonna pizza (supposedly thier signature dish). The calamari was nicely done and was a good start. The pizza reminded me a lot of pizzas at Spizza For Friends, with an egg in the centre. Taste was ok but I've tasted better.

For the main course, I ordered the lamb rump, and my friends ordered the baked cod and a penne dish. Among the four of us, only the one who ordered the cod enjoyed the meal. As for me, I thought the lamb was really bad. For one, the meat was really tough despite the fact that I had ordered medium rare. The sauce was also lacking in flavour. The penne dish (which 2 of my friends ordered) was worse. The dish was way too dry and the chicken shreds were also too dry and tough. In the end, the main course convinced us not to stay for dessert.

Service was ok and the staff pleasant. Only comment about the service was for the topping up of water (too infrequent and most of the time, we had to ask).

Would consider twice if I were to go back there again. A real pity though cos I really like the location and ambience.