Parma ham pizza3 votes
Vegetarians3 votes

rachel ong 124
 • 04 May 2010 6 reviews 0 follower
Overall
The food here is simple and unpretentious italian fare, very suitable for a night out with family or friends.

Service here is unhurried and slow, so come only if you can afford the time. I recommend their wood-fired pizzas. So far I have tried 'la nonna' and 'cappricio' and they are both excellent! Pasta here is pretty good but not exactly mind blowing. The sea bass is juicy and tender, a good choice for fish lovers. In general their mains are well executed, so don't be afraid to try their daily specials or anything not mentioned here (:

Dessert is a must! I've never been disappointed during dessert :D must-tries include their tiramis ( non-alcoholic), banana crepe ( off the menu when i went yesterday), lemon tart ( also off the menu when i went yesterday ;_;), and their chocolate tart with vanilla ice cream which is highly recommended every time by their staff.

Ala-carte menu is half price on weekday lunches and they have a set lunch at 22+. However, I recommend going with ala-carte as they half the portion for set lunch and there isn't much of a choice given. A lot of people also takeaway their pizzas.

For a more detailed review and pictures, visit www.oysterdiaries.com

Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Girls Night Out, Private Dining, Quiet, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Hidden Find

pooopie lim
 • 22 Apr 2010 42 reviews 1 follower
Overall
Authentic Italian food served in a non pretentious homely setting.

Staff seemed rather proud initially but warmed up as time past.

Shared the (day's special) spinach fettucine with truffle and the Parma ham pizza. The fettucine was aldante and firm and went excellent with the truffle cream sauce that was only mildly creamy. Excellently executed but slightly too salty. The parma ham pizza was one of the best I ever had. Thin crust with a bed of leaves and ham, was tasty and satisfying. Surprisingly there was not much cheese which made the pizza seem healthier yet not compromising on it's taste!

Another diner had the rib eye which came in a relatively generous portion. It was commented that the steak which was ordered to be cooked medium rare was overly well done though.

We ended of the meal sharing a warm chocolate tart with vanilla icecream that was marvelous. Tart was abit thick and charred but the chocolate was molten warm and a tad bitter, simply devine(:

Definately a must visit again!

Must tries: Parma ham pizza, pizzas in general, chocolate tart

Lunch, Dinner, Take Away, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Fine Dining, Girls Night Out, After Work, Quiet, Hidden Find

Tum_Chiak
 • 14 Jan 2010 7 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Brought my friend here for her birthday treat as we both wanted Italian.  It's not my first time, but since my last visit about 3 months ago, they have changed their menu.  Some new items, but about 85% same, some revisions in prices upwards.  Most pastas and pizzas are at $19.

On the way over, I made a reservation which was good as the restaurant was 90% full by the time we left around 9'ish, considering it was mid week.

Started with the calamari, thin strips of squid tossed in a light batter and deep fried.  Good, nothing to complain about.

Shared the Papadelle with Oxtail Ragout (asked for it to be spicy) and the thin crust pizza with Ham and Pineapple.  The pizza arrived first followed by the pasta after a long break of about 20 minutes.  Pizza was good, baked in their modernised woodfired oven, crust was very crispy and toppings fresh.  The Papadelle stood out for me, although the portion was kinda small and prob would not satisfy a guy or gal with an appetite, the sauce with shreds of oxtail was rich and went very well with the al dente papadelle.  The chilli padis in the sauce which we asked for gave it some kick - definitely ask for that if you like your food spicy.

Overall a pleasant evening.  Service was good but I suspect they forgot some things like my glass of wine until 20 mins after we ordered it.  Also a plate of papadelle initially got plonked on our table and then promptly whisked away to another table when the waiter realised it wasn't ours (although we arrived and ordered before the other table??)

Anyway, do make reservations to be assured of a table especially on friday nights and the weekend as the restaurant is small.  But if you are looking for cosy atmosphere with decent food that won't break the bank, and without pretentious staff or patrons, La Nonna is it.

Oh, they currently have a great lunch deal on - 50% off anything on the ala carte menu (Mon-Fri)!

Dinner, Children/Family, Romance/First Dates, Girls Night Out, After Work, Chillout, Quiet, Hidden Find