Review for Le Cafe Confectionery & Pastry (Middle Road)

Address: Elias Building, 264 Middle Road, 188990
10 Dec 2011

Outstanding pastries, exceptional service.

Plastered with newspaper clippings and billboard recommendations all over the shopfront, this stall offered much more than superficial advertisement. With their signature pineapple 'golf-ball' and other traditional Chinese pastries to boast, they have quite a range of confections with a tinge of Western influence, such as fruit cakes and swiss rolls.

Golf-ball pineapple tarts.

(+) Thin layer of golden crust which was very fluffy and 'loose'.

(+) The buttery golden crust was not too heavy and melts instantly in your mouth.

(+) Very rich and generous serving of pineapple jam

(+) Strands of pineapple fibre in the jam, indicating usage of fresh ingredients.

(+) Not overly sweet, maintaining the natural sweetness of ripe pineapple.

(-) Prepare a plate to collect the flakes from the crust!

(-) Limited stomach space for more.

Verdict: 9.0/10 and a definite 'must try'.

Rum Balls

(+) Laces of rum trickling through insides of the dense dark chocolate.

(+) A relatively strong whiff of aroma on the 1st bite.

(+) Generous serving at approximately S$1/pc.

(+) More so for the dark chocolate than the rum.

(-) Much higher concentration of chocolate than rum, would prefer a more equal distribution, though of course that will come at a premium.

(-) Would prefer a good solid burst of rum at first bite than to sink in to rich chocolate with rum whiffs.

(-) Condensation occurs almost immediately straight from the fridge due to Singapore's weather. Might leave you with some mess of chocolate melts.

(-) Only available in packs of 10 at S$10.30.

Verdict: 7.5/10 and 'worthy try'

Beancurd Tarts with assorted fillings

Assorted fillings include: grass jelly, peanuts, gingko nut, white fungus, red bean, longan, egg white and original.

(+) Light and refreshing (consumed cold), good variation from the typical egg tarts.

(+) Not as sweet as egg tarts and arguably a guilt-free treat. (not applicable in my case since I went on to ate quite a few)

(+) Solid and rather stiff crust, drawing a stark contrast to the delicate beancurd.

(-) Assorted fillings were not especially commendable since these extra fillings were simply add-ons to the original, except for egg white.

(-) Even for egg white, as it is also a light ingredient itself, did little to positively enhance the original tart.

(-) Crust might be a bit too hard if you wish to cut it for sharing, takes some effort.

(-) Only available in box of 8s (Either all original or only 1 each of the assorted fillings, no changing or substitution of tarts allowed)

Verdict: 8.0/10 and 'recommended'

Moon Pies

Each of various fillings, black and white sesame, black sesame, yam, red bean, coffee, pandan, green tea and original lotus seed paste.

(+) With the same crust used in pineapple tarts, every bite gives that ooomph.

(+) Fluffy crust that flakes easily.

(+) Not overly buttery, say 'NO' to shimmering oily lips.

(+) Very smooth paste in each of the pies tried, though I favoured the original most.

(+) Fresh ingredients were used. Even for the pandan and green tea fillings, it tasted rich and not mere flavouring and colouring being added.

(+) Worthy price for an exuberant pastry at S$1/pc.

(-) You need a plate to collect the fluffy flakes.

(-) Restricted to only 8pcs packaging, 1 of each, so the only way you wish to indulge more of one particular type, you need to buy many boxes!

Verdict: 8.5/10 and a definite 'must try'

Fruit Cake

(+) Not overly sweet, allowing the dry fruits to bring out the sweetness.

(+) Generous amount of dry fruits, and fairly distributed.

(+) Not overly buttery.

(-) Slightly dry, so might not appeal to those looking for a rich indulgence but suited my taste as I did not want to feel greased out by the butter.

Exceptional customer service: The lady who sold the pastries to me forgot to include 1 of the 2 bottles of pineapple golf balls which I ordered. (I do not blame her because I bought quite a bit!) I was not unduly charged anyway after a check with the receipt. When I went back and explained the situation, the uncle gave me some of their freshly baked pipping hot cookies straight from the oven and handed them to me as some sort of 'complimentary'.

A humble confectionery with some extraordinary products to showcase and outstanding customer service, it would be a shame to give this place a miss. This review may also be found here.

- cy

Golf-ball pineapple tarts, moon pies, Beancurd Tart, Beancurd Tart

More reviews of Le Cafe Confectionery & Pastry

Giant pineapple tarts!

I love pineapple tarts and I love food made in giant portions so the golf-ball sized pineapple tarts from Le Cafe are right up my alley. As a big fan of pineapple jam, the large sized morsels have a higher jam to pastry ratio than usual making them fruitier than the typical tart. The pastry has just the right amount of crumbliness to it too. I hate pastries that have powdery textures but I also don't want the pastry to be rock hard. This place has a good balance of pastry texture though I would prefer a more buttery prevalence in the flavor which was somewhat absent from this tart.

They also make beancurd tarts which I am guessing are egg tarts made with soy milk instead of cream/milk. They were delicious. The beancurd makes the filling softer than an egg tart filling and though that also means the filling isn't as creamy as an egg custard filling, it still taste's pretty good.

beancurd tarts!!!

I've been a regular here for a year since its close to my place. Found it from an online review, and boy am I glad I found it. Their beancurd tart is not too sweet, soft and crunchy, plus the price not too expensive! It's quite filling too, eating 2 tart is enough for me to get full. My comfort food when I'm stressed working on an assignment!! Definitely recommend!! Though the lady can be kinda rude uwu

CNY goodies & beancurd tarts

On two separate occasions, I have bought beancurd taarts from them, and more recently, CNY goodies. The beancurd tarts were fragrant and unique. Quite tasty and I wouldn't mind getting them if in the vicinity.

I tried the CNY goodies and the famed golf ball pineapple tarts. They were really nice with lots of filling and it's crust was slightly flaky and creamy so it was really nice. The size of it though is really huge! Even two mouthfuls is too much for me to handle for one pineapple tart!

They have other vegetarian cny goodies suitable for buddhist. They taste pretty decent but similar to other pretty good cookies from good bakeries too.

Delicious Old-School Treats

Visit: for full post and pics

I did not imagine the shop to look so modern, unlike the old-school pastries that they sell. It is not like a bakery shop where you take a tong and think what you want to have for breakfast the next day.  Most items are kept in the chiller behind the cashier table. However, there is a display cupboard showing the available items so if you want a box of assorted slice cakes, you have to ask the lady.   I grabbed one of the pre-packed goodie ($3.50) whose appearance and name perked my curiosity. "A Classic Treat from the 1960s"    This colorful retro-looking scones eh no....rock buns are sweetened naturally with the assorted dried fruits. Rest assure that these rocks won't break your teeth as you pluck of morsels and toss them unstoppable into your mouth.

And tada....the legendary Beancurd tart. Without the eggy custard smell, they are still wobbly and better than having just tau hway. These are delightfully crumbly and butter, like those from Chin Mee Chin. Shaped like a deep-dish ramekin, one is enough to fill an average stomach after dinner. I feel sorry for egg tarts now because beancurd tarts beat them hands-down. ($9 for a box of 8)    Though assorted flavours sound exciting, they really aren't because they taste the same, for instance peanuts is just a few steamed peanuts tossed into the filling. Not peanut butter. Same goes for the longan, grass jelly, ginko nuts and white fungus, red bean, egg white.   Come to think of it, other countries have tau hway but i think Singapore is the only place with Beancurd Tarts. Another great reason to stay here:) Visit: for full post and pics

Not advisable to visit Veerasamy Road Branch

If you are reading this to find out if the tarts and cakes are indeed that good, you should stop reading now. This writeup is to show how Le Café’s great tasting pastry (yes, they really taste good) can be spoiled and soured by ghastly abhorrent over-the-counter customer service.

2 weeks before the Snake Year in 2013, I was assigned to collect my inventory of cakes, pastries, and pineapple tarts for my office. While my order was placed at the Middle Road branch, the pickup point was its Veerasamy  branch at Blk 637. On that Sunday, the branch was manned by an elderly lady in her late 50s perhaps. Without any other customers at the premises, I got my collection receipt out, greeted the lady with a smile, and casually asked, “Are there any other pastries I can buy right now?” And this was where the sweet aroma of the tarts started turning bad…really bad.

The lady pointed to a handwritten-note pasted on the refrigerator door behind the counter.

“Can you SEE this?......Can you READ??” she asked.

“You don’t have to be so rude and sarcastic,” I said.

She went on to lament how customers had endlessly irritated her by asking the same question, ironically – about patronizing her shop and buying more pastries. She saw nothing wrong with her response, and even finally showed her true colours with her closing remark, “you want or don’t want these orders?”

I was sad that I could no longer accept the orders at the point, because these otherwise fine-tasting ‘melt-in-your-mouth golf-ball pineapple tarts’ among others, had been tainted and infected by the needless foul mouth of a sales staff who evidently chose to put her own personal agenda and interests before that of the company.

Le Café must learn that companies put a lot of thought into packaging, advertising, and above all – front line customer service. Surely Le Café can understand why coffeshop patrons order beer from their favourite ‘Beer Lady’.

The following day, I returned to my office empty handed, much to my colleague’s dismay. But after hearing about the outburst, everyone agreed the tarts would indeed leave a bitter-sour aftertaste, after this experience at Veerasamy Road.

I have had much better encounters over at Middle Road and Cambridge Road, and hope this counter staff lady never gets posted there!

(My email is currently being circulated around the office)