Reviews for Les Amis

EuropeanFrenchWestern
Address: #02-16, Shaw Centre, 1 Scotts Road, 228208
20 Apr 2015
Overall

No.13 Asia's 50 Best 2015 - Simply Love It.

[Click for the entire review]

The new menu after 1-month-closure for renovation offers more new dishes! About 10 dishes under each section on the new menu. Love the French food with a Japanese twist. All the food were impressive even the breads and butter, till the complimentary fetit fours. One of fav fine dining resto in SG!
4-course set lunch, Complimentary items, angel hair pasta with lobster and ebi, butter

More reviews of Les Amis

Past it's prime?

I had been meaning to try Les Amis for the longest time and the wife and I finally got down to it one sunny Saturday afternoon. Les Amis has been around for 20 years and is regarded as one of the pioneers of independent French fine dining in Singapore. It has also consistently appeared in various rankings as one of the top restaurants in Asia and the world (ie. 14th in Asia's 50 Best Restaurants by San Pellegrino in 2013 and 2014). Expectations were high, naturally.

I like the high ceiling and chandelier but couldn't quite wrap my head around the two levels of seating (the 3 private rooms are on the mezzanine floor whilst the normal seating is on the ground floor. Maybe it's just me but I didn't get a very good vibe upon stepping in; The place just seemed a tad too stuffy for my liking.

Complimentary Bread - A decent enough basket of bread to quell any growling pangs before the meal proper. This proved to be very useful later on.

White Asparagus In "Blanc Mange", Oscietra Caviar - The white asparagus came in the form of a blancmange (flavoured dessert made from glutinous or starchy ingredients and milk), which came across as creamy and smooth with a distinctive asparagus taste amidst a mousse like texture. Topped with caviar for that salty slant and aesthetically surrounded by a ring of sour cream to cut through the fishiness of the caviar. Nice but too much of sour cream and blancmange together can be a tad nauseating. A very decent start nonetheless!

Warm Lobster Encased Within Baby Spinach Accompanied By Classic Fish Bone Sauce - I couldn't quite make out the significance of the baby spinach leaf as the taste didn't quite feature but the warm lobster encased within was very good; crunchy with flavours accentuated by the creamy yet not too rich fish bone sauce. And finished off with salty fish roe. I liked this dish but found it tiny and a tad overly fishy.

Angel Hair Pasta With Lobster, Crispy Sakura Ebi And A Touch Of Parmesan - First impressions, "god it's tiny!". Al dente angel hair pasta topped with small, crunchy lobster pieces, crisp sakura ebi that provided a nice crunch and chilli flakes for that mild fire; All simmered in a broth that had a beautiful crustacean flavour to it. Only gripes I had were that it was a tad too salty (and believe me, I have quite a high salt tolerance level) and that it tasted rather pedestrian, like a more refined version of 虾面 (prawn noodles).

Hot Souffle Of Reine-Claude With A Refreshing Yoghurt Sorbert - The Reine-Claude (greengage) souffle was a tad soggy but relatively light. Served with a mildly sour yet sweet yoghurt sorbert. Pretty nice way to end off the meal.

Petit Fours - Lemon madeleines and vanilla canelés. Not great, especially the canelés, which came across as bitter and hard on the outside. The lemon madeleines fared slightly better, sporting crisp edges and a mild lemony taste.

See all my full review and pictures here.

Overall

Romantic place for dinner in Singapore

Hmmm……Les Amis…….while considered old school to many and stiff to others, it is a place which has stood the test of time. With the Les Amis Group’s rich history dating back in 1994 , I remember my first visit there in 1996, it is one of the first upscale establishments to pioneer the fine dining segment of the F & B industry in Singapore, it introduced french cuisine and it appealed to a niche market.

One of the most elegant and upscale restaurants in town , read my unsolicited review at http://nourifbc.com/les-amis-fine-dining/

Best Asian's 50 Restaurants

One of the best fine dining places in town. Quite good French food, nice service and ambiance. Affordable set lunch comes with a whole basket of fresh breads even you come alone. Complimentary amuse bouche and petit fours as well.

Have to make reservation in advance to make sure you get a seat.
Overall

A receptionist touched my bottom!

A receptionist touched my bottom intentionally on my visit of 06 November 2014 for my girls gathering lunch.  He pulled my chair to assist me to take seat and touched my bottom with his left Palm just before I sat down. He even asked me to choose the chair behind wall rather than the one on aisle before I sat down because it is safer for him to touch me. He has shallow dark skin, not too dark, handles reception work, collecting plates and cashing.   The dishes are beautiful and delicious as we expected,however we will never want to come back again unfortunately. Please be very careful when you go there with girls only!