Review for Les Bouchons (Ann Siang)

3.2

EuropeanFrenchSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: 7 Ann Siang Road, 069689
16 Jan 2014

Steak Frites (with unlimited servings of fries) - Les Bouchons

For the boyfriend and I, there was no complexity and we didn't feel torn about what to order (with a one page menu ) - steak and frites it was! Each main comes with a side salad and the famous free-flow of their fries.

check out my full review here: http://travelling-food-love.blogspot.sg/2014/01/steak-frites-with-unlimited-servings-of.html
ribeye steak, fries

More reviews of Les Bouchons

Average steak

Read rave reviews so my expectations were high. Walked into one of the waiters dressed in a tucked out polo t and jeans which I thought was very unsightly and unprofessional. They didn't have a butter knife for the tough bread served; we had to resort to using our steak knives to spread the butter. For our starter, we had the escargots ($18). This was decent, nothing overly special and slightly too greasy for my liking. For mains, my father and brother shared a 1kg Cote de Boeuf aka Bone-in Ribeye ($48 per pax) and I had the 300g Ribeye steak frites ($38.80). We shared a bottle of Cabernet Merlot ($88) which was full bodied but rather short. My steak was painfully average for a restaurant that specialises in steak. Insufficient crust, seasoning and marbling = bland, tough steak. The Cote de Bouef was good value for its price, it was far more tender and had more marbling and thus flavour than the boneless version. Both mains were served with fries and Salad. The salad was overly dressed with mustard and oil and not very enjoyable. The fries on the other hand were delicious. Fried twice in duck fat, they were crispy, rich and soft in the middle. To end the meal, we had a creme brulee which was excellent. The crisp, burnt sugar was beautifully contrasted by the zesty, creamy richness underneath. A sweet ending to a hit-and-miss dinner.
Overall

Good meat, good wine, bad fries

Great service, good but pricey wine, meat perfectly cooked so the big surprise is the very low quality of... the fries! When your order beef with fries, which is, well, their best seller, you would expect good fries. Over cooked, super small, very soft and turning orange as when cooked in overused oil. At this price and for such a simple menu, you would expect both meat and fries to be perfect.

Inadequate Cancellation Of Reservation

As a hotelier, i find that the cancellation time of the restaurant which is 15 minutes is a bit short. Perhaps lack of training or experience has led the manager of this said outlet to explicitly(and particularly rude) point out the cancellation time to my wife. I suggest better training method for all employees. And to further my disappointment, this particular manager offered no alternatives  (eg. Forward reservation to the next day or any other days) and  promptly asked us to leave the premises. This has spoiled the image of all restraunteurs, not only to this particular brand. This is by far my worst experience at a privately owned restaurant. I hope my suggestion and comment will be heard by the higher management and looking forward to an improvement of service standard and mannerisms of staff.

Good steak No more :(

This restaurant has been my go-to place for a good steak ever since it opened. Quality of the steak previously justified the high mark-ups for average red wines. Recent changes in their beef quality has ensured that I won't be returning again. The beef is now full of tough unchewable sinew, tastes mediocre and the colour is unappetizing (read- pale purple in color, like Diamantina cold storage beef, but worse). The same views were expressed by diners next to me, and also friends who are fans of this restaurant. You have been warned!

Loved the stakes!!!

OMG. I am still smiling when thinkng about last night's dinner :)
We were looking for a nice restaurant with good western food and we walked onto Les Buchons by accident. We were lucky to get a table with no reservation but it seems it's better to book in advance. We had Sirloin stake and a Ribeye stake with a bottle of Cote du Rhone. Meet was AMAZING. They managed to serve everything in the right timing even though we asked for one stake well done and another one medium rare. I know it should be normal but we all know it's not always a norm in Singapore... Anyways, highly recommend for a romantic dinner for two or a small group.