Review for Level 2 at Killiney

EuropeanMediterraneanModern EuropeanSpanish
Address: 117A Killiney Road, 239554
03 Jul 2014

Beautiful place, worth the climb up to ... level 2

CVery nice decor greets you when you step inside.  Friendly staff and comfortable, romantic atmosphere.

Ordered the Tuna Tataki but they were out of tuna, so ended up ordering Proscuitto Mozzarella Cheese Rolls.  What a happy circumstance because the cheese rolls were absolutely fantastic.

Then ordered Braised Beef Cheeks.  These were so flavoursome and tender, with the right amount of soft and substantial beef meat, served in a very tasty red wine sauce with mushrooms and baby bok choi, all served on top of a bed of mashed potatoes.  Flavour was wonderful.

Also, wine prices are very reasonable. < $40 for house pour red wine bottle - very good indeed.
Beef Cheeks

More reviews of Level 2 at Killiney

Very Good Dinner on 16Jul2015

See my full reviews & photos at = http://chefquak.com/2015/07/17/very-good-dinner-level-2-at-killiney-on-16jul2015/

this evening a RI friend arranged our monthly dinner at level 2 at killiney on 16.7.2015.^^

we had 5pax. place was small. we had a good chat with the lady server. she said there were 2 in the kitchen & 3 servers, though i only saw her serving. there were 4 tables including ours occupied. the place can take 40pax for a private function.

they have a S$30pax 3-course set dinner menu, and a S$9.80 set lunch menu.

the server gave us a complimentary tapas – chicken karaage to start.

the organiser arranged for a special menu – 3 tapas, lobster bisque, choice of 1 main & dessert of the day.

the smoked salmon canapés was ok – smoked salmon average, the pastry was crisp & good, quite a lot of avocado cream?

the sausage with mustard & pickled gerkhins was good too. i had 2 pieces.it’s not chorizo, probably chipolata.lobster bisque was competent, had all the right shellfish & bit of liquor flavours.

i guess not the best i had but certainly very competent. it’s also about personal preferences. i like a much more intense lobster bisque & slightly more liquor.

also for myself i prefer a good vegetable base to balance the shellfish flavours which i do for my own lobster bisque.

but i do also like a standalone just intense lobster bisque. ^^

i thought the seafood alio olio linguine was excellent. very nice garlic taste, very flavourful & al dente. there were like 5-6prawns & several pieces of sliced scallops. the prawns were good, texture a bit like the chinese crystal prawns (brine treated?). not my preferred texture but overall it was good.

the server said they added white wine which was not the usual preparation. that’s what i do too for my seafood alio olio spaghetti.

i had the alio olio at kith recently. i liked both but overall i guess i would prefer this preparation.

the braised beef cheeks is 1 of the favourite dishes here. many bloggers had commented favourably.

another new favourite dish is the steak sandwich which had a ribeye steak (server told me about 2/3 normal steak portion). i will try that next time.

server told me they were braised for 4hrs.

it was a competent braise. soft, tender. i didn’t think it was special. texture wise i guess it was very good. the flavours were ok, beefy, not specially tasty.

braises not really my thing, but for such cut of meat, slow gentle braises or low temperature cooking like sous vide are the way to produce a nice tender meat w/o making it too sinewy & to turn tough connective tissues to flavourful gelatine. for such preparation, i would prefer the more fatty meats & more gelatine.

i have not made my spanish slow-braised beef ribs for a long time, maybe i will give it a try again.

I just love this place

I like the volcano chicken. The chicken thigh is juicy and the skin is crispy. Even the accompanied mashed potato and vegetables taste great and complement well. I've also tried the seafood aglio on my last visit. The prawns and squid were particularly fresh. The spicy aglio olio was cooked in white wine sauce with slices of garlic. Probably the best Aglio Olio I've tasted. My dining partner said the beef cheeks was awesome. Though we've only tried 3 dishes so far, I think all 3 were done extremely well. I must say the chef has changed my opinion of "ordinary" western cuisine. Just couldn't figure out the lack of crowd in the restaurant.. perhaps it's still relatively new. Anyhow will definitely be back!

best in killiney

excellent menu and food - at v reasonable prices
lawrence and nikki are lovely and v friendly
also cheapest hour hour drinks in town in modern, relaxed establisment!!!!!
GREAT 10/10 - highly recommended and best restaurant i have been to in singapore
Overall

Excellent all around - more people please go

Such a great place. The food is good western style at very reasonable prices. Particularly good are the wagyu burger, at only $21 for a generous portion. Also good is the beef cheeks, very succulent in a stew sauce.

Staff are friendly, cheerful and expert.

Location is so central... close to Orchard and to River Valley Road.

Style is very cozy and modern, with tables not too close.

Now just need lots more customers!!

Extremely Irresponsible Merchant!

Came here twice with deal.com promotional vouchers. The taste of the food is not too bad but prices are not cheap for the basic causal dining. Value was made reasonable only by the voucher discount.

For the 2 times we dine at here, each time we were able to make reservation within an hour of our arrival as the place is actually very quiet. First tme, only 2 other tables wth single dinner were occupied and the 2nd time we were the only one. Bear in mind that both times were peak-hour meal time in the weekend.

We had intended to go back 3rd time on the last day of the promotion on 30 Nov (Sun) since the voucher is still on sale in the deal.com website on 30 Nov itself. Bought some vouchers at abt 3pm & tried to call the restaurant to make reservation for dinner. No one picked up the phone so we made our way to restaurant at about 6pm. To our shock, we found a notice stuck on the outside of the restaurant indicating that they were closed for the day (see pic) How could it be possible for the restaurant to close on 30 Nov when they are still running a promotion and there may be many who might try to use the vouchers on that day.

Of course we immediately brought the case up with deal.com but after a no. of frustrating email exchanges, they pushed all responsibilty to us - the customer - quoting that the condition stated in the voucher is to book 1 day in advance thus we should not have bought the voucher on 30 Nov with such condition. Even after explaining that it was not our first time dinning at this place with the voucher, and from our previous experience, we had no problem making reservation without 1-day notice. All this fell on deaf ears. At the end of the day, deal.com could not provide a good explanation why the voucher was still on sale on 30 Nov if 1-day advance booking is required. (conclusion, try not to deal with Deal.com too).

Anyway, so I turned to the restaurant hoping that they will be more responsible than deal.com. But alas! I think they are worse. The person who picked up my call was a lady, not the usual man who was managing the restaurant when we were there the 2 previous time. Wow. She could not listen well and kept repeating like a parrot about the 1-day advance booking condition, ignoring all my explanations . Again she could not answer why voucher was still on sale on 30 Nov. She pushed all responsibility to deal.com. Sensing her incapability to deal with the issue, I asked to speak to someone higher up. Comically initially she told me that her boss was standing beside her and was fully aware of the issue. When I asked to speak to her boss, her boss became unavailable.

This event speaks volume of the management of the restaurant & their inability to appease an angry frustrated customer. A businessman with good business sense would definitely want to deal with a messy complaint before it is blown out of proportion. This is not the case here. Sad. I hope this restaurant can survive though it had lost my support forever.