Summary

Chicken Schnitzel, Buffalo Wings, Bratwurst Brat, fish & chips, apple crumble, irish beef stew, Beers, Hot chocolate, Lychee soda, Strawberry & Banana smoothee, Lime Sorbetto Soda, Little's Ice Green Tea, Onion Rings, Potato Salad and Onion Ring, Pumpkin Yam, Rochefort 10, Silken Tofu Salad, Tofu salad, Trappist Acher Beer, Veggie & Cheese Crepe, crepes, curried fries, lychee, pomodoro chicken crepe, salmon & cheese crepe View all
Hidden Find, Chillout, Dinner, Quiet, Lunch, After Work, Alfresco/Outdoor Dining, Romance/First Dates, Live Band, Girls Night Out, Children/Family, Brunch, Large Groups/Gathering, Healthy Eating, Boys Night Out, Cheap Eat/Budget, High Tea, Private Dining, Supper, Wine Lists, Vegetarians, Anniversary, Birthdays, Breakfast View all

Great schnitzel; Food has a home-cooked quality (in a good way)

See the full review with pictures here.

This place is an extremely strangely located restaurant in Upper Thomson, just beside Thomson Plaza. You can drive there (free parking), or take a bus, but it requires quite a bit of hunting in the private estate before you find the place. Even though it’s such a hidden restaurant, it does very well for a dinner crowd – many people in the surrounding estate come here for a simple, fuss-free dinner (no need to dress up, no need to cook, no need to drive out anywhere)   We first went there on the recommendation of one of my jc classmates, who used to temp there as a waitress. They’ve got a shelf full of pretty interesting books – it’s where I first picked up Joe Dunthorne’s Submarine, and where L first picked up Peter Carey’s Oscar and Lucinda (leading to us reading most of his other works).    I really like their quesadilla appetizer, which has an amazing meat filling and is served with tortilla chips drizzled with mayonnaise for some bizarre reason. It’s not really “mexican”, but it does taste skilfully home-cooked, which is nice.   Their rack of ribs is exactly as advertised – fall-off-the-bone. We’ve always ordered this when we’re there; it must take really long to slow cook it to this level of tenderness.   Other notable dishes here include their shepherd’s pie (they use corn kernels in the mashed potato layer – you either like it or hate it) as well as their German bratwursts. We tried them all for Father’s day last year when we brought L’s dad here and he had beer brewed by Trappist monks.   One of their best dishes (in addition to the ribs, which I always have), is their chicken schnitzel. Yeah I know, it’s chicken, that’s already not legit schnitzel, but their schnitzel is covered with parmesan flakes and served with a little pitcher of white wine sauce which you can pour over the schnitzel. It’s really amazing, the breading, the cheese and wine combination, everything. It’s served with their mashed potatoes and a small salad.

Most helpful reviews for Little Part 1 Cafe

pretty good on the second try

for photos and more reviews, head to http://theendangeredsartorialist.wordpress.com/food-listings/

ya'know, i rarely head back to the same restaurant, and especially in such a short duration. but considering its close proximity to my house, and that my elder sis had suggesting bringing kayla there for lunch, i begrudgingly decided to revisit the place, albeit reminding myself not to order the desserts. read about the previous meal here.

and boy, i did quite a 180. this time we ordered the chicken schnitzel yet again, but also shepherd's pie ($16.90), as well as the bratwurst brat ($18.90). the dishes really gave off a homey, warm feeling, which went well with the fact it was pouring like crazy outside. the bratwurst was deliciously juicy, bursting in our mouths as we bit into it (i compared it to squeezing a pimple to which both my sister's reeled back in disgust. lol). i found the pairing of the bratwurst with the accompanying honey mustard sauce really nice, the sweetness complementing the juicy flavor of the meat. the shepherd's pie was well made/baked, with the top crust nicely browned and crisp and the proportion of beef stew and potato was just nice such that the starchiness of the potato did not overwhelm the dish.

and hey it's kids friendly! (there's only one baby chair though, so book in advance) we fed kaykayla the mashed potatoes with corn along with the shepherd's pie and she approved of it by finishing the entire bowl. haha.. she's really the most critical reviewer actually.

and mind you, the ambience of the place was distinctly different from the sparse, empty feel the first time i went, as the restaurant was merrily packed with patrons, lending a cheery, laid back atmosphere to the place. the service was also much more prompt and faster than the first, perhaps because the owner of the restaurant was around this time.

desserts time! i read on HGW that the apple crumble with ice cream ($6) was decent, so i was willing to give the desserts a second shot since the mains proved to be a delightful improvement as well. and boy.. the apple crumble is really quite good, the crust is nicely baked and crisp and the ice cream really went well with the apple pie. we also ordered a chocolate truffle cake that was pleasantly delicious as well.

all in all? little part 1 cafe deserves a raise in scoring -- choose wisely and you get a really pleasant, decent meal - avoid the brownies and go for the apple crumble for dessert as well. and oh.. come when the owner is around to get the best experience i suppose. =)

------- original review below

little part 1 cafe is the very definition of hidden find - tucked away at a small road after thomson plaza and sited at a row of smallish shops supporting a cosy neighborhood, its a place you would easily miss unless you knew what you were looking for. the interior is quite cosily decorated, typical of those cafes you would find at a street side in munich.. i say munich because the cafe reminds me distinctly of Germany, what with the paulaner brauhaus beers and a menu featuring food like chicken schnitzel. i particularly like the photo frame wall feature in the cafe, which lends a certain eccentric haphazard charm to the place. i went with my sis on a lazy thursday afternoon where there were a few patrons just chillin' and whiling afternoon away. quaint.

this being said, the service was tad slow, considering that you really had a slow, linear chain of customers coming in. the dishes took quite a few to come, especially for the dessert. let's talk about food then.

chicken schnitzel - $18.90

this place isn't exactly cheap, but the chicken schnitzel was really quite good, especially compared to a the chicken meuniere served at nearby swensens @ thomson plaza. the breaded chicken was crispy and juicy and didn't feel any bit fattening or oily (unlike say KFC) and the accompanying white wine sauce was an interesting complement to the dish. i was delighted to find that the mashed potatoes had corn in them, which added a nice flavor to what can be quite mundane normally. the salad also was infused with a kind of citrusy vinaigrette which made for a very pleasant meal in general. mind you, this dish is big, so bring an appetite here.

four cheese crepe - $16.90

my sis got the four cheese crepe, which was pretty decent. surprisingly, i don't see that many restaurants doing much crepes, when its actually a very simple and very common dish in europe.

brownie with vanilla ice cream - $6.50

sadly, the dessert was a disappointing disaster. i suspect the brownie was over-microwaved and hence it was dry, flaky and had a slight plasticky taste, which was kinda sad since i was hoping for something chewy and delicious. the ice cream felt like it was ladled out of a cheap walls ice cream tub and tasted cheap and not at all artisanal (haha i love that word). to be honest, i think a cafe should serve desserts of a certain standard, so its kinda disappointing.

all in all, a decent chill out spot for some German-influenced food. the chicken schnitzel is worth a try, perhaps shared along with some buffalo wings. it's a little pricey to be honest and the desserts are an abject disappointment. so-so place for me. oh.. but plus points for not having any service charge... maybe that explains for the slower than usual service.

Little Part 1 Cafe: Comfort Food, Coffee and Bar At Jasmine Road (Upper Thomson)

More pics and thoughts at http://lepakwithyaops.com/little-part-1-cafe-comfort-food-coffee-and-bar-at-jasmine-road-upper-thomson

Follow Lepak With Yaops on Instagram and Facebook

Named as the "The Third Place", Little Part 1 Cafe (LP1) is an indie cafe located in quaint Jasmine Road serving comfort food, coffee and alcohol that make the world goes round. This place is a perfect spot for lunch, dinner or simple a chill out session with friends and family.

Mains served here are European/Western cuisine centric, has a wide selection of craft beers, some desserts and coffee. Alert to all alcoholics (I'm not judging =D ), special 25% discount promo is available during Wednesday dinner time to ward off your mid-week stress.

Looking for a change, I ordered Gravy Chicken with Waffles ($17.9). My first taste of this unique concept was at Sin Lee Food which didn't impress me at all. Another place which I've known of its availability is at The Beast. Got to check that out soon!

Not only was the food photogenic, it tasted impressive and portion was huge too! The waffle was "chewy", soft yet dense, was drizzled with maple syrup and complemented really well with the juicy slabs of fried chicken. Savoury and sweet, all packed in each mouthful.

The Scallopini Crepe ($18.9) contained grilled chicken, herbs, thinly sliced onions and generous portion of mozzarella cheese. Portion was great and was orgasmic (taste) too! The crepe was a little chewy, the meat had substance, while the cheese and white wine sauce not just only whetted my appetite, but wet it as well.

The latte ($5) left me speechless! Reminded me of "never judge a book by its cover"! Good aroma, had hint of chocolate, medium bodied with a smooth and clean finishing. I enquired about the beans, but could only be disclosed that it is from a local supplier.

Amazing lunch session! Great food, portion and price. Definitely a recommended spot! Wonder if there is a Little Part 2 Cafe ?

Delicious & appetising food experience! :)

I went on a weekday afternoon so the place wasn't crowded at all.
It was a lovely quiet place & all the interior decors were looking good too! My dining partner and I ordered the Assorted Buffalo wings(spicy)Chicken Schnitzel and Fish & Mussel Stew

We both felt that the Buffalo Wings were finger licking good with the sauce and the chicken schnitzel was enjoyable. I loved how the chicken was cooked – tasty, easy to cut, it's different from the ones I ate before at other places. Personally I felt that the salad serving was a tad too much though so its best to let them know in advance to not add it in if you are not the type who likes to eat salad so as not to waste them.

The stew was not bad too but just a tad bland for our taste (we prefer & like to add more seasoning into our soup/broths).

I could see the other customers were also enjoying their food and time just chilling there.
The server will always promptly attend to us and always served with a smile. :)

I would totally go back there again to try the other dishes!

Great chill out place after work!

It was a Friday evening when we visited this cafe. Reservation was sadly a hassle but upon reaching and trying their food, my family and I agreed that it was worth it.

We ordered quite a number of items off the menu. Starting with the buffalo wings, there were quite a number of choices but we sticked with the Spicy one as the description mentioned it was one of the top dishes which made them famous.

For full review, visit: http://www.hwee-ified.com/little-part-1-cafe/