Back to Malaysian Food StreetResorts World Sentosa The Bull Ring, 8...
Madame Chewy
 • 19 Jul 2014 118 reviews 7 followers
Overall
For pictures and full review, pls visit:

We were craving for hawker food (MIL was yearning for Penang Laksa) and wanted somewhere comfortable (ie air-conditoned) to have our family weekend dinner. Having heard good things about Malaysian Food Street, we decided to check it out.

Located at Resorts World Sentosa, this one stop dining destination houses some of Malaysia’s exceptional and famous hawker fare. Step inside you’ll feel like you’ve went back in time.

It was very crowded when we arrived on a Saturday evening. We were ravenous after a terribly long wait for a table and split up queue at different stores immediately. There were A LOT of choices. Ahhh, decisions, decisions….
This is my first time trying Lor Bak and totally fell in love with it. Penang Ah Long Lor Bak($8) meat is marinated with five spice powder from Penang, then rolled in soy bean sheets. Deep-frying brings an irresistible crisps to the popular Penang snack.

Another dish hailing from Penang is the Cuttlefish Kang Kong ($8), which is essentially chewy slices of cuttlefish accompanied with fresh kang kong, drizzled with sweet sauce, glittered with heaps of sesame and crushed peanuts.

I am not a fan of oysters, so I wouldn’t comment on the taste of this Oh Chien ($8) aka Fried Oyster Omelette. Because more flour was used to make it, the texture was more springy and chewy compared to our local counterpart. I believe oyster fans will enjoy this, judging from how quickly hubby wiped it off the plate.

Wanton soup ($4.50) for a lighter contrast.  I find it fair enough.

With 26 years of experience and development, Penang Ah Mei Hokkien Prawn Mee ($5.50) exudes a gratifying prawn-y aroma. The secret to its mouth-watering broth lies in the use of fried fresh prawn shells and home-made chilli mix.

You cannot miss the Jalan Alor Hokkien Mee ($6.50), originating from Kuala Lumpur. With a recipe perfected over 30 years, this mouth-watering noodles is infused with fragrant dark soy sauce.

Another highlight of the night was Heun Kee Claypot Chicken Rice with salted fish ($9.50/$15). The first thing that hits you is its aroma. 3 different kinds of rice is used to ensure a soft fluffy texture. Its distinctive traditional taste flavor arises from the unique charcoal employed to heat up the claypots. Lining the claypot, is a layer of irresistible crunchy rice. You can choose  to exclude the salted fish ($8.50/$12), but I recommended trying these delicious morsels soaked in sesame oil with hints of Chinese wine.

We also sampled Penang Assam Laksa, which had a sourish thick and spicy broth, plus crisp and fluffy Roti Canai ($6) , more commonly known as Roti Prata in Singapore

A word of caution: be prepared to queue and wait ages for your food. We had to wait for up to 30 mins for some items.

Must tries: Hokkien Mee