Review for Men-Tei Japanese Noodles

AsianJapanese
Address: #01-01, Robinson Centre, 61 Robinson Road, 068893

04 Jun 2014

Worth to Try

Located at the business district in Robinson Road, Men-Tei almost guaranteed of full house during lunch time, but no worries as their table turnover is rather fast.

Gyoza (3 pcs) - Skin wasn’t as crispy as it looks but it was quite juicy and tasty.

Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen - Chashu was so flavorful and tender that it melts in your mouth but the soup was a bit disappointed.

Tonkotsu Ramen -  Everything else except the soup were the same as the other ramen, while I appreciate the generous amount of spring onion and sesame.

For more reviews and photos, please visit us @ http://3fatbees.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/men-tei-japanese-noodles-raffles-place/

More reviews of Men-Tei Japanese Noodles

Ramen during lunch break

Never got a chance to try out the ramen here as the place is always crowded. Finally had the craving for ramen and decided to wait it out. For CBD quality food, must admit that ramen is here is quite good. Not overly pricey too which is a bonus. Do try their tonkotsu ramen.

Ramen for Yuppies.

Was craving for ramen about 3 to 4 weeks ago, & I was working nearby, so I decided to pop by since I'd heard that the ramen was acceptable and affordable. I went at 4, so the place was empty. Very cosy and small space. Took about 10 minutes or less for them to cook my ramen; I was also especially pleased that they took the initiative to separate my ramen and soup as in the past I had the misfortune to encounter a few places neglected to do so.

I got my mandatory tonkotsu ramen; the noodles were curly, which kinda spoilt it a bit for me as I much prefer the traditional and more appropriate straight Hakata ramen. Egg yolk was semi-soft; wish it was completely soft, but surprisingly it's so far the best out of all the other ramen places that I've tried in Singapore. Also, I doubt that they use MSG because I wasn't as thirsty after drinking the soup as I usually am at other ramen places.

Oh, & I got an extra whole egg for a dollar. A bit over-priced if you ask me, seeing as the seasoning & egg shouldn't cost more than 50 cents, but that's just me.

Service was overall alright; the cashier wasn't very courteous and polite. He did thank me at the end though, but not very sincerely as they're supposed to in Japanese culture. They were thoughtful enough though to put a packeted green tea bag and a serviette in my take-out bag, which I do appreciate. Frankly-speaking, I'll only be back if I'm in the area and craving ramen, otherwise I'd rather grab something at Lau Pa Sat.

Overall

One of my favourite ramen places

One of my favourite ramen places. Love the egg, and the tonkatsu ramen is my personal favourite.

However, i find that in recent visits, the standard has dropped a little. Egg isn't as perfectly semicooked, and the char siew seems to be less tender than i remember.

Still, even with these inconsistencies, Men Tei remains one of the better ramen places relative to the price.

Luch hour is insanely packed. I reccommend going during dinner.

Best Shio Ramen

Read the full review at http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.com/2010/09/men-tei-ramen.html

The restaurant occupies a tiny shop space with a maximum capacity of about 30 diners, and the decidedly small menu is limited to only 6 varieties of ramen. But it's little wonder why this ramen joint is so popular with the Shenton Way lunch crowd. This is a case whereby the restaurant really excels in the very few dishes it serves.

1) Shio Ramen ($14), with an additional helping of sweet corn. The light clear broth is made with chicken and fish, so it's very delicate in flavour. The noodles aren't too soggy and they are cooked so they retain just that right amount of bite. I'm constantly amazed at how the Japanese are able to make such consistently semi-runny eggs (tamago) which are so delectable. The flavourful grilled pork (yakibuta), while decadently fatty, is worth every ounce of the heart-clogging fat.

2) Tonkotsu Ramen ($14), Men-Tei's signature ramen, with a pork bone soup base. The whitish colour of the soup is a result of pork backbone being simmered for hours on end until the bone emulsifies. For women who want more collagen, this is the ramen for you