Review for Morton's The Steakhouse

AmericanSteak and GrillsWestern
Address: 4F, Mandarin Oriental, 5 Raffles Avenue, 039797
19 Jun 2014

Free beef sandwich!

Actually reviewing the bar. Went there during happy hour from on a weekday. Had 3 martinis at SGD$15 each. Sat there from 5-7pm and had 6 sandwiches. Yummy! Not forgetting the service! Perfect! Will be back again!

More reviews of Morton's The Steakhouse

Awesome steaks from Morton's Steakhouse

For more details, please visit http://www.foodesteem.com/2015/06/mortons-steakhouse.html

Located at Mandarin Oriental Singapore, the hotel beside Marina Square and opposite The Floating Platform, it can be considered quite accessible and a great hotel to view the beautiful Singapore Skyline at night. With such an amazing view, food contained is definitely more than just average!

Morton's Steakhouse is much popular for its steak of course. Serving only the highest grade of aged USDA & Australian beef selections and taking great effort into preparing the steaks for diners, only makes us go right for the steaks, and nothing else.

Potterhouse Steak at 24 ounces ($117.00). Served medium-rare.

Center-Cut Prime Ribeye at 16 ounces ($99.50). Served medium-rare.

Cajun Ribeye Steak ($102.00). Served medium-rare.

Five Peppercorn Rubbed Prime Strip Steak at 20 ounces ($138.00). Served at well-done.

Signature Cut Prime New York Strip at 20 ounces ($134.00). Served rare.

Center Cut Filet Mignon at 12 ounces ($99.00). Served medium-rare.

If you are not too keen with the steak, another option would be Chilean Seabass ($77.00).

Souffle for Two ($37.00) for our dessert. We were too full to actually care about whether it's for two or not, and just shared the entire bowl within the 8 of us. Everyone had a couple of spoons of the fluffy and soft souffle. Similar to egg tarts, and this is even better than just egg tarts.

This meal is definitely our most expensive dinner ever, and none of us have seen 4-figures amount in a single receipt before. But disregard the amount, the quality of the food is definitely worth what we paid for, and if I ever have the chance again, Morton's is definitely topping the list, or at least in the first few.

On another note, the serving is pretty filling even for a single pax to finish it up, which actually leaves all of us either too full or with a few grams of meat untouched.

Revisiting an old friend

We were back at Morton's after a rather long hiatus (almost 2 years to be exact) and were eager to reacquaint ourselves with our once favourite steakhouse in Singapore.

We were seated at our usual table, at the corner nearest to the kitchen that we so valued for the relative privacy it offered. But not anymore. The place has undergone a renovation and more tables have been squeezed into the same area (revenue increment measures?), resulting in much narrower walkways (the traditional pushcarts doing the introduction rounds and desserts have been canned as a result). The booth seats are now black instead of the original red and overall, the place oozes a modern vibe as compared to the former steakhouse like atmosphere.

Complimentary Onion Loaf - As mentioned in one of my previous writeups, the size of the onion loaf has shrunk considerably but still proved too much for 2 people to try and finish up, not with the plethora of food that was coming our way. Though fragrant, quality came across as a little inferior; dry with the onion taste a tad watered down.

Salmon Mixed Grill - The mixed grills are a recent introduction to the menu (currently priced at $98++ each) and I personally feel that it's a great way to experience a bit of everything that Morton has to offer. We started off with the Salmon Mixed Grill; Fresh salmon topped with jumbo lump crabmeat with 3 grilled shrimps & 2 baked shrimps.

The chunk of grilled salmon (sitting on 2 stalks of crunchy asparagus) boasted firm flesh without coming across as too fishy whilst the crabmeat atop provided a sweet, crustacean accompaniment. Adding to the delight were the 3 jumbo sized grilled shrimps; Sweet and crunchy. I did find the baked shrimps a little repetitive though. They were nothing more than a combination of shrimp and crab meat. Still good nonetheless. Just watch out for the nausea attached to consuming too much seafood at one go.

Filet Mixed Grill - The Filet Mixed Grill consisted of a 6 oz filet mignon, 3 grilled shrimps and 2 bacon wrapped scallops. I'm usually a fan of Morton's filet mignon but the meat, though done to a perfect medium rare and coming across as juicy and flavourful, seemed a little soft this time round (quality of meat, perhaps?). As with the shrimps in the Salmon Mixed Grill, the grilled shrimps here were equally crunchy and sweet. The scallops wrapped in bacon are a perennial favourite with us but these ones were a smaller than the usual ones on the appetiser menu and came across as a tad soft in the middle. On the upside, they were wrapped in crisp, salty and fresh tasting (no reused oil taste) bacon strips. Overall a sinfully rich dish.

Spinach & Mushrooms - I would very much love to label this as our much needed, healthy greens dish but unfortunately it's anything but. The spinach was soft whilst the mushrooms had a buttery sweetness to them. So much for healthy eating.

See my entire review and all my pictures here.

Overall

Perfect venue for special occasions

Hubby had his very old wish come true last night when I gave him a birthday treat at Morton’s, any steak lover’s ultimate destination. I made a reservation a few weeks ago and indicated that it was hubby’s birthday dinner. And yesterday during lunch, I received a call from Morton’s confirming my reservation and I was also told that there would be a 2nd seating at 830pm hence if we wish to stay after 830pm, we could adjourn to the bar.

For the rest of the review with pictures, please go to http://wendylimwendy.com/2015/03/21/mortons-steakhouse-singapore/ - cheers!

Lovely birthday celebration

I celebrated my fiancee's birthday and we were delighted by the service. The menus especially had my her name printed on, we were offered a complimentary dessert and the staff even took a picture of us which was later framed (all FOC).
The waiter (Shawn) was very polite and made us feel comfortable. The center cut rib eye was cooked to perfection and the mushroom and spinach side dish provided a nice balance to the meat.
Overall it was a bit pricey but worth the experience!
Overall

Pricy experience, so so steak

Made an appointment to celebrate a birthday.

The crabcake was not bad, although rather pricey for the quality.

Steak size was truly impressive, the two of us could barely finish one shared plate.

Taste wise though left us abit wanting for more. We had tasted better meat, especially for the price. The huge portion also invariably means that you'll be eating a colder piece of meat at the halfway mark.

House wine was fantastic, and their complimentary birthday chocolate cake was good too.