Back to Muddy Murphy's#01-02, TripleOne Somerset, 111 Somerset Road

Supper5 votes

Max Lim
 • 27 Apr 2014 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
Irish Stew was literally heavenly. Its a must order. Shirley Temple was nice too. But I really love the Irish Stew, it was such a tender lamb.

Must tries: Irish Stew

After Work
  • Irish Stew
  • Irish Stew

make your calories count
 • 19 Aug 2012 144 reviews 2 followers
Overall
For full review and pictures, please check out review at: http://makeyourcaloriescount.blogspot.sg/2012/08/sg-muddy-murphys-irish-pub.html

After experiencing the popular culture of pub food overseas, I was surprised to find that Singapore actually has quite a number of pubs open in the day too! It certainly wasn't as crowded as it would have been overseas, where it's usually about 70% occupied and you see people drinking beer early at like 10am. Visiting at about 12.30pm, we almost had the entire place to ourselves and had the full attention of their service staff.

Potted Prawns ($16)

A generous serving of prawns with flavourful cream soup! I liked the soup alot as it had a distinctive flavour to it, a result of mixing many condiments together. It had a strong seafood taste to it, rich and just slightly creamy such that it wasn't too overwhelming (or 'jelat'). It went very well with the sourdough bread slices, just like how fried buns and chilli crabs usually go together. Soaking the bread into the soup and allowing the rich flavours to slowly coat your tongue, it was a simple yet contented feeling. One thing I didn't like though, was the type of prawns used. It had an extra crunch to it like most processed prawns, or some call it ???. It lacked the natural sweetness of prawns, which would have been the perfect complement of the dish.

Verdict: 8.0/10

Muddy's Beef Pasty ($18)

My favourite part of this dish wasn't the pasty, but the mashed potato instead! Well-beaten and having a very smooth texture to it, it had a slight twist to it. Mashed with parmesan, it had a slight flavour of its own and was good to eat even without the gravy. As for the pasty, I thought the crust of the pastry was abit too thick and you could taste very little of the beef fillings inside. The outer layer of the crust made up for it slightly, with its golden oven toasted skin that gave an extra crunch to it. Having tried the slightly more authentic cornish pasty, I thought this didn't live up to standards and it felt more like an ordinary chicken pie (switched to beef fillings) that you can buy off Polar stores.

Verdict: 6.5/10

I felt that all these were very much overpriced and the taste of the food wasn't worth that much either. However, we had a one-for-one offer for all of these and it made the experience slightly more justified. For those who would like to try, don't miss the Citibank one-for-one promotion on all lunch mains, from Monday to Friday!

Must tries: potted prawns

Supper, Lunch, Chillout, Quiet

Denise M
 • 17 May 2011 3 reviews 0 follower
Overall
The decor is very rustic, with rocking chairs, cauldrons and cobbled-stoned floors. The food was hearty too. My friends and I tried the Bacon Faggots (meatballs wrapped in bacon with mashed potatoes on the side), Irish Stew (lamb stew with carrots and potatoes) and a Beef and Guinness Pie (beef stew with carrots and potatoes, topped with puff pastry with a side of mash).

I must say, this place does meat very well. The beef in my Beef and Guinness was succulent and pulled apart easily. It was tender and I didn't wear my jaw out from chewing it.

And if you go there you must try the warm chocolate pudding! It's nice and crisp on the outside with a warm and molten centre and comes with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.YUM!

I can't comment about the drinks as I only had a glass of house white wine, which was good.

Now comes my gripe. The waiting staff. Some of them are really nice and would keep asking if we needed anything, but this one guy in charge of the area where I was seated was damn rude. He was nice at first, but when we wanted to place more orders after our mains, he seemed very annoyed. After ordering dessert, I asked for more spoons as my friend and I were sharing. He seemed to completely forget that request. I asked for a round of water twice, which never came. When my friends ordered beer, he placed a pint in front of me but I moved it towards my friend as it was her order. Lo and behold, the waiter threw a coaster down in front of me, picked up the pint and slammed it right in front of me again! My friends and I were quite stunned by his behaviour. I mean, if you hate being a waiter, don't be one! After that, the guy kept trying to force the bill on us too as if he was trying to get us out of there.

We weren't making a lot of noise or anything either. We were just a bunch of girls enjoying good conversation over drinks and food so I don't get why he was trying to get us out of there. The place was not full and it was nowhere near closing time.

So all in all, the good food and good ambience was marred by one bad waiter. I must say, the owner/manager was very nice though, but I'm not sure if I'll be going back anytime soon.

Must tries: Warm chocolate pudding

Dinner, Boys Night Out, Girls Night Out, After Work, Chillout, Quiet, Hidden Find, Live Band