Summary

Grilled Lamb Chops, Fish & Chips, Irish Stew, Pork and Pea Soup, Spinach and Camembert Salad, Warm chocolate pudding, beef tenderloin cubes with blue cheese dip, draught Guinness, mussels, potted prawns View all
After Work, Boys Night Out, Chillout, Live Band, Supper, Lunch, Vibrant/Noisy, Girls Night Out, Hidden Find View all

Quirky Place Hidden in Town!

(Read more with pictures here at http://mediumrareandothers.blogspot.com/2014/12/muddy-murphys-irish-pub-somerset-triple.html)

Located at the back of Triple One Somerset, this place's pretty secluded. Away from the main shopping area e.g. Cineleisure and Triple One Somerset, this place can easily hold a candle to any of the nice glitzy restaurants in the mall. The entrance is just a prelude to what's inside the pub. The interesting quirky decor on the exterior will provide a little idea of what's inside. Once you step in, you feel like you're being transported to those English wooden cabins in movies. The interior is almost entirely of wood finishings, even the walls, which totally adds to the rustic look and feel. There weren't much people on a weekend, which can be good if you're looking for somewhere for a quiet date, or friendly chatting, instead of blaring music.

We were given a table with a real life-sized rocking chair as a seat! I thought that was pretty cool. They've a wide range of drinks such as beers and wines, and a very proper food menu, although this place seemed like its more for drinks:

Rosti Potatoes ($5)

6 pieces of deep fried rosti potato.

Beef & Guinness Pie ($18)

Potted Prawns ($16)

A 160g serving of fresh prawns sautéed in lemon juice, tomato puree, cream, pepper and garlic, served with home-baked sourdough bread and butter.

La Trappe Witte Trappist Beer ($10 nett)
The world’s first and only Trappist white ale that continues to ferment slightly after bottling. Brewed using only water, wheat, and hops. As usual, beer to go along our meals.

Beef & Guinness Pie ($18)

It's got a huge pastry hat, which means the pie fillings underneath must be equally huge. And yep, we're not disappointed. There're bacon bits on top of delicious, fragrant mash potatoes and carrots on the side. Note, this whole dish can be pretty filling. The pastry hat is quite crisp, and dipping it with the saucy pie gravy is extremely satisfying.

Potted Prawns ($16)

I thought I had ordered the wrong item, as it looked more like a soup dish. It came with sourdough sliced bread on the side with Anchor butter. When I first tried the soup (or gravy) it was quite thick. Then, I tried dipping the toasts into the soup, and hey, it tasted good. Finding the butter a waste and but found it weird to go with such soups, I spread a bit of it on the toast, and tried dipping it again. Hey, it tasted much better. Eating the prawns on the side, the taste of this dish is really rich! I counted at least 8 very chewy fresh and certainly decently-sized prawns.

Oh no, these 6 pieces of deep fried Rosti Potatoes ($5) ...

(Read more with pictures here at http://mediumrareandothers.blogspot.com/2014/12/muddy-murphys-irish-pub-somerset-triple.html)

Most helpful reviews for Muddy Murphy's (TripleOne Somerset)

Good Irish Stew

Irish Stew was literally heavenly. Its a must order. Shirley Temple was nice too. But I really love the Irish Stew, it was such a tender lamb.

Good ambience for chilling but slightly overpriced for its quality of food

For full review and pictures, please check out review at: http://makeyourcaloriescount.blogspot.sg/2012/08/sg-muddy-murphys-irish-pub.html

After experiencing the popular culture of pub food overseas, I was surprised to find that Singapore actually has quite a number of pubs open in the day too! It certainly wasn't as crowded as it would have been overseas, where it's usually about 70% occupied and you see people drinking beer early at like 10am. Visiting at about 12.30pm, we almost had the entire place to ourselves and had the full attention of their service staff.

Potted Prawns ($16)

A generous serving of prawns with flavourful cream soup! I liked the soup alot as it had a distinctive flavour to it, a result of mixing many condiments together. It had a strong seafood taste to it, rich and just slightly creamy such that it wasn't too overwhelming (or 'jelat'). It went very well with the sourdough bread slices, just like how fried buns and chilli crabs usually go together. Soaking the bread into the soup and allowing the rich flavours to slowly coat your tongue, it was a simple yet contented feeling. One thing I didn't like though, was the type of prawns used. It had an extra crunch to it like most processed prawns, or some call it ???. It lacked the natural sweetness of prawns, which would have been the perfect complement of the dish.

Verdict: 8.0/10

Muddy's Beef Pasty ($18)

My favourite part of this dish wasn't the pasty, but the mashed potato instead! Well-beaten and having a very smooth texture to it, it had a slight twist to it. Mashed with parmesan, it had a slight flavour of its own and was good to eat even without the gravy. As for the pasty, I thought the crust of the pastry was abit too thick and you could taste very little of the beef fillings inside. The outer layer of the crust made up for it slightly, with its golden oven toasted skin that gave an extra crunch to it. Having tried the slightly more authentic cornish pasty, I thought this didn't live up to standards and it felt more like an ordinary chicken pie (switched to beef fillings) that you can buy off Polar stores.

Verdict: 6.5/10

I felt that all these were very much overpriced and the taste of the food wasn't worth that much either. However, we had a one-for-one offer for all of these and it made the experience slightly more justified. For those who would like to try, don't miss the Citibank one-for-one promotion on all lunch mains, from Monday to Friday!

Nice place. Just hope you get a good waiter.

The decor is very rustic, with rocking chairs, cauldrons and cobbled-stoned floors. The food was hearty too. My friends and I tried the Bacon Faggots (meatballs wrapped in bacon with mashed potatoes on the side), Irish Stew (lamb stew with carrots and potatoes) and a Beef and Guinness Pie (beef stew with carrots and potatoes, topped with puff pastry with a side of mash).

I must say, this place does meat very well. The beef in my Beef and Guinness was succulent and pulled apart easily. It was tender and I didn't wear my jaw out from chewing it.

And if you go there you must try the warm chocolate pudding! It's nice and crisp on the outside with a warm and molten centre and comes with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.YUM!

I can't comment about the drinks as I only had a glass of house white wine, which was good.

Now comes my gripe. The waiting staff. Some of them are really nice and would keep asking if we needed anything, but this one guy in charge of the area where I was seated was damn rude. He was nice at first, but when we wanted to place more orders after our mains, he seemed very annoyed. After ordering dessert, I asked for more spoons as my friend and I were sharing. He seemed to completely forget that request. I asked for a round of water twice, which never came. When my friends ordered beer, he placed a pint in front of me but I moved it towards my friend as it was her order. Lo and behold, the waiter threw a coaster down in front of me, picked up the pint and slammed it right in front of me again! My friends and I were quite stunned by his behaviour. I mean, if you hate being a waiter, don't be one! After that, the guy kept trying to force the bill on us too as if he was trying to get us out of there.

We weren't making a lot of noise or anything either. We were just a bunch of girls enjoying good conversation over drinks and food so I don't get why he was trying to get us out of there. The place was not full and it was nowhere near closing time.

So all in all, the good food and good ambience was marred by one bad waiter. I must say, the owner/manager was very nice though, but I'm not sure if I'll be going back anytime soon.

Great place to relax on a Sunday

This place has not changed in a decade - and why should it? Consistently a great place to hang out for a late Sunday lunch, a welcoming bar staff and comfortable chairs and tables to relax. Firstly, the beers are not at extortionate prices - Guinness and Kilkenny @ $12/ pint, Archipelago Red Ale @ $11:50. These prices include GST - something I wished bars and restaurants were forced to include in their menu prices.

My friend ordered the 2 course Sunday roast ($20) which included roast beef, mashed potatoes, some other vegetables, Yorkshire pudding and gravy. I had a slice of the beef, and it was fantastic. I ordered the fish and chips ($16) and as others have said here - it is fantastic, the fish is fresh and the chips taste like they are homemade.

Overall, if you want to while away a lazy Sunday afternoon, stop here for a bit and recharge your batteries. The prices are very reasonable, the food is excellent and it is just a nice place to hang out.