Reviews for The Naked Finn

3.1

Seafood

Home To The Deliciously Exclusive Lobster Rolls

I had heard about the rather exclusive (served in limited quantities on a first come first serve basis and only during lunch) but delicious lobster rolls at The Naked Finn and decided to try my luck one weekday afternoon.

But first, getting a table. Strolling into the place at 12pm sharp got me the very last counter seat. And boy was I grateful. The place is tiny, with approximately 10 counter seats and another 10+ table seats inside the seemingly make shift premises. Outside there are probably another 10 seats but unfortunately those are not open during lunch.

Lobster Roll With Homemade Mayonnaise - 90g of warm, sweetly succulent lobster chunks wedged between a crisp on the outside yet soft on the inside, pan fried brioche that boasted a smooth butteriness. The dollop of homemade mayonnaise imbued a smooth and creamy finish with a nice piquant aftertaste. Very good! Only gripe I had was pertaining to the fries, which were double fried till extremely dry and in some cases, burnt. Good fries should retain a certain degree of moisture beneath a crisp surface in my humble opinion.

Lobster Roll With Crème Fraîche - As I was still hungry after my first lobster roll, I had a go at another one but this time opting for the other alternative on the menu; Lobster roll with crème fraîche instead of homemade mayonnaise. And the verdict? The crème fraîche was noticeably lighter on the palate but it killed the butteriness of the brioche and dulled the crustacean sweetness of the lobster. Homemade mayonnaise is definitely the way to go in my humble opinion. Did I also mention that shortly after my order was sent to the kitchen, the place ran out of lobster rolls for the day? And it was barely past 1pm!

ps: I skipped the fries, naturally.

A cholesterol level busting lunch cost just shy of $70, which isn't expensive for lobster rolls, especially in Singapore. Quality was very good and just a wee bit below that of Burger & Lobster in London but marginally better than Luke's Lobster in New York. Service was good and I liked that sky juice was served free of charge as well. There were other things on the menu that seemed interesting as well but somehow I can't quite reconcile paying almost $30 for a bowl of prawn noodles vis-à-vis topping up a few dollars more for a lobster roll. I'll definitely be back!

Update - And I went back 3 times in the space of 3 weeks, with varying degrees of quality in the fries (twice burnt and once perfectly fried with a touch of salt. Quality control issues?). The lobster rolls remained delicious though but during my third visit, the buns seemed to have lost a bit of their butteriness and came across as a tad dry.

• 19 Apr 2015 • 488 reviews • 68 followers

Home To The Deliciously Exclusive Lobster Rolls

Overall

ps: I skipped the fries, naturally.

• 30 Mar 2015 • 172 reviews • 7 followers

Overhyped

Overall
Learning there’s a new flavour for the lobster roll, my friend called me to go for lunch with him at The Naked Finn. The original flavour being homemade mayonnaise while the newer flavour was creme fraiche. And with that, we were off for lunch since I had been wanting to check out The Naked Finn.

I was actually supposed to have checked them out earlier, but it was raining on the day another friend and I meant to visit. And knowing that their space was designed to be like a makeshift tent, we postponed our meal. Ha.

We arrived at 12.30pm and were given counter seats as the table seats were either taken or reserved.

And from the menu (pages 123), we ordered:-

1) Grilled baby Indian squid (uroteuthis duvauceli) with sea salt & olive oil, $8 – These were good.

2) Lobster roll, creme fraiche, $29 – Live American lobster (homarus americanus), straight cut fries. As mentioned on their menu, 90g of lobster meat was used. Now, that’s a lot. And having gone into The Naked Finn’s Facebook, I read that they got their lobster supply through Pince & Pints. And the lobster meat was fresh and succulent. However, the bread was a little tough to slice with the knife (and bite).

3) Hae mee tng, $25 – With farmed giant tiger prawns, berkshire (kurobuta) pork belly. With at least one-third of the menu dedicated to the stock preparation, my friend and I just had to try this. And with a choice of Japanese somen or vermicelli (bee hoon), we went with the latter upon the staff’s recommendation. However, we were disappointed. The soup was tasteless. Although we were given 4 choices of condiments which included sea salt, I thought it’s rather silly if they had to serve us salt for us to add into the soup to give it flavour when the soup should have been seasoned with salt before served. No?

Due to the (silly) 3000 characters limit, continue to read my review on other dishes here: PART2

6) Homemade madagascan vanilla ice cream + Guinness draught + creme de mure, $20 – We were curious although we don’t like the taste of Guinness. And this was served expectedly as root beer Guinness float.

I won’t exactly strongly recommend The Naked Finn. Besides the okie food served, I was a little let down by the service. Upon arriving, I immediately spotted rags on the chairs in the alfresco area. So while I understand the sun was hot and good for drying wet cloths, and that the staff probably guessed no one (in the right mind) would want to dine under the hot sun. It was during service hours. It was not exactly a nice sight upon entering the premise, especially for the first time.

The Naked Finn was also a little inaccessible to get to on public transport. Luckily for me, my friend drove. Although there were not many parking lots. We ended up parking (illegally) along the road, steps away from The Naked Finn.

---------
PS : I am a blogger too! Lifestyle blogFood Blog
  • Hae mee tng, $25
• 23 Mar 2015 • 1 review • 0 follower

Lousy, overrated

Super overrated!
Food is very normal and unimpressive, not value for money at all.
Lobster bisque is diluted and do not smell fresh.
The lobsters are the worst! Looks and taste more like prawns, and they are not even as sweet as prawns, not to mention their size!
Can easily be one of the worst experience I had in a long long time!