Reviews for Nakhon Kitchen (Hougang)

3.7

AsianIndochineseThai
Address: #01-341, 212 Hougang Street 21, 530212
31 Jan 2016

Worth for money

The Thai food restaurant was recommend by my friend who likes to eat Thai food. When we reached there around 630 pm there was a long queue waiting for seats. After 30 mins waiting time, we finally got out seats. The decoration of the restaurant was really simple and had a feeling of Thailand. Most of the server are from Thailand and they were really prompt in doing things. We ordered Tom yum soup, green curry and kang Kong. The food was really nice and have authentic Thailand taste! They do not charge service fee and gst hence the price is relatively low compare to other restaurant! You must come and try for their authentic Thai food and you will not regret it!

More reviews of Nakhon Kitchen

Cheap!

It was only a few years back many would think that you need to pay a lot just to get a decent Thai food to solve your cravings. Now we have Nakhon Thai, food at hawker Centre prices and yet will let you feel that you are eating in the busy streets of Bangkok. One of the best they have is the pad Thai, seafood is succulent and is not too empowering. They also have one of the best Thai ice tea! Do remember to bring your friends along!

Nakhon Kitchen

Holland Village outlet:

Thai Iced Milk Tea ($3)
: Its unique orange-brown colour, rich creamy taste of the evaporated milk and slight bittersweet tinge totally won me over.

Fried minced beef with hot basil leaves ($8): It was a tiny dish, with just a few tablespoonfuls of beef. Palatable, but the meagre quantity disappointed us.

Pandan Leaves Chicken ($6 for 4 pieces): Having heard that it was one of the best dishes in Nakhon, we tried it out but it failed to impress. Though the fragrance of the pandan leaves were infused into the chicken, the meat itself was rather bland.

Green curry with Chicken ($8): The viscous and mildly spicy curry was a welcome change from the normal red curry all Singaporeans are used to, but it was awfully hard trying to fish for the elusive mini chicken slices in the bowl...

Seafood Tom Yum soup ($6): No Thai meal would be complete without Tom Yum soup. It sure left my tongue burning from the spiciness.    The pineapple fried rice ($6) and stir-fried kang kong ($6) tasted decent enough.    While Nakhon's prices are affordable for students, of course we have to give and take a little, so quantity is very much compromised and the taste is just satisfactory, nothing mindblowingly amazing. On the bright side, at least we got to try a variety of dishes to fulfil our thai food cravings without burning a hole in our pockets.

Full review with pictures at http://awwsnapz.blogspot.sg/2015/09/thai-cravings-nakhon-kitchen.html

Over-rated "Authentic" Thai Food

Was at the bedok branch few days back. Always wanted to try after hearing all the rave about it. Reached at 5.15pm, place opens at 5.30pm. Service staff starts taking order first (+ point). Ordered stuffed chicken wings ($4 for 2) and basil leaf with squid ($8 comes with rice and sunny side up), had thai ice milk tea ($3) for drinks. The tea was a bit bland for $3 there are much better ones around. Definitely not value for money. Place was almost food by the time my basil squid was served. Tasted funny, I started probing around the squid, hey where're my basil leaves. Nevermind... egg was cold and hard, meaning egg was most probably leftovers from lunch. Understandable cause I was the 2nd customer for dinner. Waitied for my chicken wings to be served, a guy whom I presume was the manager or owner walked over with the chicken and I told him my squid has no basil. "Har? not enough basil? you want more?" Me:"No, no basil" I probe around to show him, "see no basil la" Guy:"You want to change?" Me:"No, I just want my basil leaves...." He took my dish back, I i presumed he added the basil and did a quick fry again with the squid. Chicken wings was nice, not very good but the for $2 each it was worth the money. Queue starts forming outside already. My squid comes back. I looked in.. oh.. Thai sweet basil leaf... which is basically the wrong type. Most hawker Thai stores will fry with this because it hard to get the Thai holy basil which only comes in from thailand. Sigh so much for authentic thai cuisine. Seriously for $8 I expected something a bit more. Still I relished my food with gusto leaving no grain behind.

Verdict: Tea too bland, not value for money. Boneless chicken wing, good value if can add a bit of garnish (a piece of lettuce below) would really bring out the colour of the dish. Thai basil leaf fry with squid. Overpriced because no Holy basil, else it would have passed. Plus egg was overcooked (can see greenish oxidized yolk).

Service at Nakhon Kitchen

I went with my family to Nakhon Kitchen last weekend to have our dinner, personally I feel the that the service staffs there are very friendly and they will show you where you should sit. They will repeat your orders again to double check. Their staffs always greet customers with a smile. I have not heard any promotion from Nakhon Kitchen yet, but hope to hear from it soon. I heard about Nakhon Kitchen from my friends and family.