Summary

Food/Drink3
Pho, Beef Slices Noodles, Banh Mi, Shrimp roll, wagyu beef pho, Crispy fried chicken wings, Coffee, Fried prawn and pork rolls, Lemongrass pork, Meatball noodle, Southern roll, chicken noodles, meatball sandwich, white cabbage salad View all
Lunch, After Work, Dinner, Ala Carte, Brunch, Vibrant/Noisy, Cheap Eat/Budget, Breakfast, Take Away, Chillout, People Watching View all

Delicious, will be back for more.

Full review and photos at http://foodiefc.blogspot.sg/2014/02/nam-nam-noodle-bar-raffles-city.html

Nam Nam Noodle Bar (Nam Nam) which specialises in serving Vietnamese cuisine belongs to the Les Amis Group (which includes the likes of Au Jardin, Bistro Du Vin, Canele and other restaurants). But unlike these upscale restaurants, Nam Nam offers more affordable food in a causal bistro setting targeting the mass market.

Nam Nam first opened at Raffles City Shopping Centre in late 2012. Within a short time span of less than a year, two other outlets have opened at Wheelock Place and Suntec City.

I have frequently past by its outlet at Raffles City and wanted to try it on several occasions. However, there was always a long perceptual queue! This time, we decided to meet visit the eatery early at 1130am to beat the crowd.

The Banh Min (Vietnamese bread, normally toasted baguettes) counter is located right in front of the eatery.
Nam Nam's seven commandments - the Namnam-tiquette placed at the front of the eatery.

On every table, there was a row of bottles of condiments. Personally, we did use any of them as the originally taste of the dishes were sufficient.

We kick started the meal with the Southern Roll with Sweet Shrimps, Egg, Herbs $4.90 was served with hoisin sauce fried with chicken liver dip. The Southern Roll were bland on its own. You would need to dip it into the sauce provided which was the game changer. The combination of the dip enhanced the flavour and would ignite your taste buds. One 'glitch' was that the rice paper used to wrap the roll was too tough. They really need to improve on this aspect as we had a hard time biting into it.

The most famous Vietnamese dish is Pho which is essentially a bowl of rice noodles with herbs, spices and thinly sliced meat (normally beef or chicken) in beef stock. How could we not order Pho in a Vietnamese eatery!

The Pho Beef Steak Slices $8.90 was surprisingly good. The two main factor was the beef slices and the beef stock. The beef slices were thinly sliced, slightly uncooked, and hence were so soft and tender. The beef stock was light, rich, aromatic (due to the herbs) and the flavours were so well balanced. Together with the thin and smooth rice noodles, it was a hearty comforting bowl of Pho! Yummylicious!~

Ordered an Extra Topping: Wagyu Beef $2.50. It arrived in a small bowl. The stock was similar just that it was more robust - full beefy essence! The Wagyu Beef was also thinly sliced and was pinkish as it was slightly undercooked. This would be a good choice if you are a beef fanatic.

The Pho Beef Balls $8.90 was average. Two main reasons. The beef balls were not as shiok as the beef slices in terms of flavour. In addition, the stock was not as beefy compared to the bowl of Pho Beef Steak Slices.

Most helpful reviews for Nam Nam Noodle Bar (Raffles City)

Good & Affortable Vietnam Pho

Tried the Slice Beef Pho today. I like the taste of the soup and it goes well with the pho that is cooked to its just right texture. the peanut sauce that came with the spring roll was really good. There were cucumber, spring onion, beehoon and shrimp in the Spring roll.
Worth a try.

Personal review on alittlespaceforanormalme.blogspot.sg

Mass Market Brands & Consistency

My gripe with good food that starts expanding is this - consistency. Nam Nam was pretty much love at first bite for me, and I'm so glad that Vietnamese cuisine is catching on here because having been there, my palate has developed a certain nostalgia for the wholesome, flavourful broth that is often found in the honest bowls of pho I've had on my travels.

Nam Nam had a certain magic when it first opened its doors. The fact that it had the backing of the prestigious Les Amis group did it great favours and I was amongst those who succumbed to its fanfare. The food - simple, unpretentious and honest, was reminiscent of the spirit of authentic pho I'd tasted off the streets of Ho Chi Minh & Hanoi. Even better - Nam Nam's $10 lunch set is totally comprehensive, healthy and filling. Can't complain.

I recently revisited this firm favourite with some colleagues, and it may have been an off day but the food was a thorough let down. I can't speak for the rest but one friend and I who had the beef slice pho were both a little put off by the slide in standard. Is this the product of rigorously trying to conquer the snaking queues outside by churning out bowl after mass-made bowl? I think one of the most disappointing yet inevitable restaurant-ills is that integrity is seldom observed once chains start expanding. The pho I had today left a bad taste in my mouth because the beef slices were only semi-cooked (as if they needed to be pushed out so quickly that they came a little prematurely), which means I had to soak it in the soup to allow it to cook a little more. But this in turn resulted in faintly blood-tainted broth that was significantly less slurp worthy than I recall :( The beef was also chewy - in a raw sense.

I'm hoping it's an off day. Nam Nam has had my heart for a while now and it is a place I will return to again, hoping today was simply a one-time thing. The ultimate test of a restaurant is this - will I return? Most people strain to think of a place they have tried and will go back to. This is where consistency becomes essential, and yet is so often undervalued in favour of high turnover. Nam Nam, I hope the next visit will be different. You've been untouched by the hoi polloi of mass market chains losing their touch, until today.

Yummy Vietnamese food!

One of the best Vietnamese food around. My top 2 fav are the lemongrass pork and pho beef slices....add in extra of the chef made sauce into the lemongrass.... The beef in the pho is tender and the soup is heaven.... The shrimp roll is also crispy and a must try!!

Ok Viet Baguattes, Horrrrible Service

Dropped by Nam Nam to take away sme baguettes for lunch.

Ordered the caramelised 5-spice pork belly, pork pate (is that a long name or what? it's known as B1 on their menu) and the grilled chicken, chicken pate (B4).

Pork belly baguette was rather nice, together with the pate, chillies, pickled vege and corriander leaves left a hearty yet refreshing taste on the palette. Baguette was rather thick but had a nice taste to it. Could do with additional filling as you'll find yourself chewing the bread a while longer after your throat has swallowed the tasty fillings. Fats from the pork belly keeps things flavourful and moist.. pretty tasty..

For the grilled chicken baguette, our feedback on thickness and amount of filling is the same as the pork belly baguette. Grilled chicken was moist. Again, taste of the chicken went well with the pickled veg and heat from few slices of red chilli. Also, fillings were not too juicy and hence did not make the baguette soggy.

Would I do take away on the baguettes again? Have tasted better Viet baguettes, but for take away, YES I'd oder them again:)

About the service (sigh) a rather elderly waitress asked a couple infront of me if the were waiting for take away. Unfortunately they answered, no and that they were looking to dine-in. Aunty then flew off the chain reprimanding them for not seeing the rest of the dine-in line and how other customers will feel, yada, yada, yada, so on and so on...

She then turns her attention to me and i said i'm doing take away and she let me where i stood.

As I understand about being in the service industry, one never scolds the customer (or potetial customer) no matter what age, race, social status, etc.

Other waiters look unattentive and not in a flurry of concern about tables to be bussed, customers waiting, etc (I mean it was a lunch hour!)

However, the staff at the baguette preparation counter should be applauded for their attentiveness and efficiency. When guy heard me say take away (while i was interrogated by 'aunty') he immediately asked what i was looking to order. When i said baguette, he said "tell me what you want and i'll prep it for you right now so you can just pay at counter". By the time it was my turn at the order/payment counter, baguettes were ready. Now that was service!

nice place for quick meal

a nice place for a quick meal. aroma and taste of the hot coffee with condensed milk are to my preference, served with a cute retro-looked cup. breakfast and lunch set priced at 5.90 and 9.90 are must try, in a just nice portion and reasonable price.