Summary

Value4
Fried Tori-karaage, Marutoku Negi Chasu Ramen View all

good

Nantsuttei has recently moved to Orchard Central, and despite being relatively new in the vicinity, has quite a good lunch crowd.

I started with teh Yude Wantan ($6), six pieces of boiled pork dumplings cooked and then soaked in a light vinegar and soya sauce base.

I then tried the Fried Tori-karrage ($6). Unlike the usual fried chicken bits, they use tender pieces next to the chicken leg, chop it, deep fry the skin and then top it with radish sauce. Never seen it done like that before but it tasted good.

The main dish of the day though was the Marutoku Negi Chashu ($17). Roasted garlic in thick tonkotsu broth boiled for hours. I also liked the noodles, which did a good job of soaking in the broth.

Overall, was quite happy with the ramen. What was even more amazing was that for a team of three kitchen staff and one service staff, the restaurant was very efficient and despite a near full house the food and drinks service was really efficient.

Most helpful reviews for Nantsuttei

Nice Ramen Place!

Nantsuttei; a Japanese ramen placed located at Orchard Central. They are preciously located at Millenia Walk and have shifted. Back then at Millenia Walk, they were already pretty well known for their ramen! I was told by one of my friend that their ramen is really good, and after my first tried, I think it has easily become one of my top favorite place for Japanese ramen! Personally I love their broth base, however sometimes I do find it a bit too oily. But I guess no harm to eat it once in a while isn't it?

Nice ramen but a bit too oily

For photos and to read more: http://sgrollies.blogspot.sg/2015/12/nantsuttei-ramen-orchard-central.html

This ramen is actually quite nice. Recommended by my friend, it does taste better than many other ramen restaurants but I find that the thick layer of black garlic oil too thick. There's only one slice of cha shu and you have to top up another $4 for more.

Go for the classics

Between the 3 of us, we chosee 3 different ramens.

The special of the day was the Tomato Miso Ramen. The broth reminds me of tomato sauce (which was both sour and sweet), and with a spicy kick. It was a hit with the person who ordered it but not for me (didn't like it after the stock started to cool down, and it is really strange to be drinking tomato soup with ramen)

The Negi and Char Siew Ramen had similar stock although the latter was lighter.  Char Siew was a bit dry for my taste. Noodles too soft for me.  But overall enjoyed the thick rich broth.

Also liked the free garlic (more punch to the soup) and generous portion of breansprouts (additional $1.50)

For more, go to https://singaporeaneats.wordpress.com/2015/04/22/nantsuttei/

Love the garlic chashu ramen

To see the photos, please hit up http://thehungrybunnie.blogspot.sg/2014/10/nantsuttei.html

Nantsuttei is known for slicking their ramen with a layer of inky-black roasted garlic oil, and tampering their rich tonkotsu broth with chicken stock. The deeply aromatic but delicate ramen is what made fans of its customers, and I was no different. I found the flavour incredibly unique and addictive and actually started craving Nantsuttei a couple days after our dinner here.

The must-try is their signature Chashu Men ($16), stacked with a shoyu-marinated pork loin simmered to a plastic fork-tender texture, crisp beansprouts, seaweed and an added Egg ($1.50). The towering bowl was full-bodied but well-balanced and never cloying. The smoky accents of the garlic oil gave the creamy broth a lively edge and kept it slurpilicious to the last drop.

For those who thrive on spice, the Kara-miso Ramen Mouretsu Tanmen Hana-ji Boo ($16), a spicy miso-ed ramen speckled with ground pork fried with hot Japanese pepper, at the penultimate spice level of 3, may be more your thing. Turns out, level 3 was a very manageable spicy even for moderates like me. So if you really like the heat, get the level 4. This possessed a more complex flavour dimension, but I preferred the chashu men. There was just too much going on in this bowl, and got a little heavy towards the end