Review for The New Harbour Cafe & Bar

AsianBeerLocalSingaporeanWesternWine
Address: 114 Tanjong Pagar Road, 088529
17 Jan 2014
Overall

Despite reviews on bad service...

I was lucky maybe. I find the service quite ok. It's not a fine dining restaurant, don't expect too much. lol.

The food is non pretentious and comforting, I wish price can be a bit lower though.

Roast pork is a must try. The cheaper one, which is served by itself with hainanese chilli sauce and a soy sauce or something. the more expensive option comes with mash and vegetables.
Hainanese roast pork

More reviews of The New Harbour Cafe & Bar

Overall

Nice cosy setting with good food

Went during lunch - they have daily set lunches which ranges from $14++ to below $20. the set comes with a soup, a drink and a bun. the bun was toasted and warm with they serve, so it feels great.

we tried the spaghetti bolognese (ala carte, not in the lunch set) and chicken cordon bleu lunch set. loved it! the bolognese was very thick and flavourful with the beef and herbs. the cordon bleu is impressive as it was crispy and flavourful. not too oily nor coying.

We spent about $33 for 2. would love to come back again.

Muddy Clam Soup & Poor Service

I had always like their clam soup but after last night's experience, I think I will never touch it again. Halfway through my soup, I found a clam with black mud in it and soon the soup turned muddy. I felt disgusted and told the Filipino waitress about it when she was clearing the bowl of clam shells. I told her politely to inform the chef to check before he starts serving to other customers. She said nothing and walked away. No apology. Nothing! Very disappointing.

Inconsistency Mars The Experience

Full The New Harbour Cafe & Bar review here: http://ivanteh-runningman.blogspot.sg/2014/03/the-new-harbour-cafe-bar.html

Located in Tanjong Pagar, The New Harbour Cafe & Bar serves a large variety of general Western food. Think Hawker style Western food with a Singapore / Asian flavour, but more upmarket. The biggest problem I have with The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is the inconsistency of both the food and service.

Ambience at The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is average. Think typical bar, dim lighting, functional but not so comfortable wooden furniture, and beer decor. The good thing about The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is they have quite a large indoor and outdoor seating area. Outdoor seating tends to be more popular, and the place can get pretty crowded.

Service at The New Harbour Cafe & Bar is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Non peak periods means the staff have more time to pay attention to you and food is served quickly. But peak periods can mean grumpy staff, long waiting times of more than 30 minutes, and poor food quality.

The New Harbour Cafe & Bar doesn't have a speciality cuisine, with the menu consisting of a mix of American, British, German and Asian flavours. Dishes are generally tasty with big portions, but similarly upmarket prices of hawker western food. I personally find The New Harbour Cafe & Bar to be poor value for money, and the food quality can be inconsistent as well.

The absolute best dish here might be the Fried Chicken Wings In A Basket, the perfect bar snack. Crisp, pipping hot chicken wings, juicy inside with meat that comes off the bone easily. The skin is crisp and fragrant, with a slight hint of spice. Excellent!

The Pork Chop With Apple Sauce is bordering on good. Nice pork flavour, and the meat was cooked through. However, it was slightly dry, slightly tough, and slightly overseasoned. Worse, I experienced 3 small bone chips. Plus the potato wedges were rather hard and dry as well. While I loved the sweet Apple sauce, done perfectly in the British style, I won't be ordering this again.

Nice chill out place

Been here a few times and usually after work to have a drink and to have my all time favorite black peppet chicken!